Author Topic: Did you expect us to have a flag by the end of Wallace's 5-year contract?  (Read 762 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Did you honestly expect us to win a flag within 5 years when Plough was given a 5-year contract given nearly all premiership coaches of the past twenty years have coached their club to a flag within their first 5 years?

Clubs find reasons for a five-year itch
15 July 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
David Reed

CLUBS hanging on to long-term coaches may want to ponder this fact - if they haven't won a flag in their first five years, they may need to look for a new leader.

The odds, statistically at least, are against a coach who has had five fruitless years.

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams is the only premiership coach of the past two decades who didn't win within five years of starting at a new club. And he won his flag in his sixth year.

Of the non-premiership coaches, Neale Daniher has resigned in his 10th year in the job at Melbourne, while Mark Thompson is in his eighth year, but with arguably his best chance.

Chris Connolly is under the pump in his sixth season at the Dockers, while Dean Laidley is in his fifth year at the Kangaroos.

Alastair Clarkson, Rodney Eade and Terry Wallace are in their third seasons, while Neil Craig is in his fourth.

Ross Lyon is in his first year at St Kilda.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22073304%255E19742,00.html

retygas

I didn't think that we would have a flag under our belts. But I thought that we would of there around the area to contend for it or close to it.
I have to say that I was one of the people who thought that Terry was the right one for the club. So I do put my hand up there, I still think he's the fella to lead us to the Grandy.
But I think its more to do with our leaders on the feild more than anything. Particularly one. His name goes like  something is sweet. Just can't bear to put its name down he's totally useless.
I really think that next year we will be close to unstoppable with all the young one's getting a run under their belts. So give up on 2007 and bring on season 2008.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
THE WAY I READ IT  and saw it was that terry signed a 5 yr deal because it would take at least that long to turn the shi thole of a place around and get the list in a top competitive state.

as terry said the pace was a train wreck when he arrived, that meant the list too!!!

by yr 5 we will be right up there, and everyone who doubted terry will be saying that all his hard work has paid off and we will be very competive.

he will then extend his contract by 3 yrs and he the club and us will then reap all the rewards!

Ramps

by the end of year 5 if he is still there id hope he would have got the club into the finals in the fifth year and clearly the supporters will believe that will go on with a group of youngsters who wallace has put together.

Moi

I thought by year 5 we'd be up there playing competitive footy and playing finals.
I'm not sure if we'll be there, not because of the kids coming through, but I wonder what kind of leadership we'll have.  The way I see it, it's the young ones who've been leading this club for the last couple of years, so that's a good sign for the future, but I would like to see more of it from others, and it's not happening.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
I never expect us to win a flag, even back when we did regularly.
I hope we will at the start of every year, no matter who the coach is.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
I didn't really expect us to win a flag, but like others I did expect us to be competitive, play consistant footy and play finals.
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Like most so far, expect us to be in the mix to take the next step by then.

richmondrules

A regular finals contender on the way up rather than down. Geelong and St Kilda of about 3 or 4 years ago is what I would expect. Media talking about us as being an exciting young side likely to peak in about 2011. Hang on, I've heard this somewhere before.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Like others I didn't expect a flag but expected us to have our list back into balance by 2009 as it was in such a mess in 2004 with few youngsters coming through and to be playing finals by 2009.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd