Author Topic: What's the Process????  (Read 1743 times)

froars

What's the Process????
« on: July 28, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »
Are all existing board members going to stand, and are the new nominees going to stand?  I'd really like the opportunity to get to know the individual members of the current board and proposed ppl.  I know a few from both sides, and they are all good people.  They're low profile, and i would like to see the club use their internet facilities for each candidate to give some sort of message for supporters to say what they see for the club's future.

Any chance we could get a mix from both sides on the board?  I'm really dumb in things of this nature, so don't know the process - you know, tickets and stuff.  But I like ppl on both sides and would rather vote for the individuals than a ticket.

And i also don't like the leaders of both groups - Casey and Schwab.  Be nice to have a second voting system where we could vote for who we would like to be president.  Never want to see what happened before where Casey didn't face the members to get voted onto the board.  All board members should be voted in by supporters.

Your thoughts - sorry for rambling - i have no idea what i'm talking about lol

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
Re: What's the Process????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
Yeah Froars Im the same!
I feel that this time around that the members should indeed have a bigger say in the people we install as leaders at the club.
A thorough election process with intense scrutiny on all candidates is what is needed.
I think we have all had a gutful of these so-called Richmond people who think they have the answers over the years yet have failed to deliver.
Our precarious financial position, boardroom disheavals and a lack of direction have made us an utter embarassment in the AFL world.
I would hate to think of the consequences if we cant get it right this time around.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:14:57 AM »
Although Schwab is hoping Casey will step down and allow a new board come in in a bloodless coup and probably Casey is hoping Schwab will back away, neither scenario seems likely and we will be having an election in December.

IMHO it will be a vote between tickets consisting of 9 people rather than us members getting to pick and choose each board member individually. Nor will we get to choose who is president directly. Much in the same manner as the federal election will be having at roughly the same time. The winning ticket will take control and the leader of that ticket will become president - Casey or Schwab in this case. If there were individual votes then we could end up with the scenario of Casey and Schwab on the same board and a mixture of each ticket. Both have said today they can't work together. The last thing we need is a board divided along factional lines running the Club with each faction wanting their man as president.

As for the tickets themselves I would presume Schwab and the other 6 in his corner will be running. He'll need two more. We currently have 8 board members. How many of them are truly in Casey's corner I don't know. None of them have publicly made any noises of leaving voluntarily.

If Casey were to step down and a new board allowed to come in and take over the running of the Club then I'd presume there would be no election and IIRC when Leon Daphne quit the new board at that time didn't need to be ratified by members. I could be totally wrong about the last bit though. I just don't remember members being given the opportunity to give the new Casey led board at that time the thumbs up.

As for the process the most important thing now is get the best coach signed and sealed. Not sure what Bryan Wood is going to add to the negotiations apart from showing both tickets will behind the final decision on who is our coach. Jackstar give us a clue  ;D. Also I see the Roos have announced their F/S is Jesse Smith. I wonder when the Travis Cloke decision will be made? I would've thought it would had been announced publicly by now. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 11:27:02 AM »
Absolutely agree froars and Tigertailz.  A select few should never have the right to hold the Club to ransom and make decisions on behalf of the majority, because they believe them to be in the Club’s best interests.

The title of “member” at this Club is a joke.  How often have members had the opportunity to vote on and influence the direction it takes, over a number of years?  I’m not exactly sure, but I’m tipping it wouldn’t be many.

Elections occur every year; for those who are genuinely concerned and believe they can contribute in some way, feel free to nominate and let the members have their say.  Apparently, that’s how most other footy Clubs run things.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:44:33 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 08:35:33 PM »
Spot on TS!
I think the title member is a loose term really.
At the MCC you are  a restricted member for x amount of years before your name comes up to be a Voting member and your privledges increase and you can indeed vote on issues .
Maybe something similar would work at Richmond and increase the feeling of being an important contributor to the club instead of just another way of flogging an admission ticket to 11 home games. 8)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 11:09:48 AM »
Maybe something similar would work at Richmond and increase the feeling of being an important contributor to the club instead of just another way of flogging an admission ticket to 11 home games. 8)

I don’t know if the members will go for it Tigertailz.  Maybe we should vote on it to see what they all think. :rollin
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.