Author Topic: Congratulations to Richo - 250 games / Favourite Richo moments  (Read 5177 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Despite such a disappointing year and the upcoming game on Sunday being against lowly drawing Port Adelaide, I hope all Tiger supporters turn up in droves to the 'G to honour a bloke who has given his blood, sweat, heart and soul to the Richmond Football Club. He's enigmatic and through a 14 year career he's mixed sheer brilliance with sheer frustration but he's ours and he's Richmond through and through  :thumbsup. Who else spends 10-15 minutes after training signing autographs to hordes of kids and big kids screaming out "Richo!"  :clapping

As a tribute to the big fella, what are your favourite Richo moments over the past 14 years?

Ox

Re: Congratulations to Richo - 250 games / Favourite Richo moments
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
i tend to mainly remember how inconsistent he is and how many goals he has missed
and respectively how his vintage player has killed us over his career.
go matty.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
if he plays which he will this week, i hope he kicks 12 goals and anounces his immediate retirement. if he does that that woudl be my fav richo moment. going out on a high for the team, then doing th eteam thing and making way 4 the future

some players just have to accept they had their time and their chance

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »
Congrats to the big fella  :clapping

The one that sticks out in my mind the most is his 10 goal haul against the Doggies in 2004.
There are probably more but I can't think of any at the moment lol. I'm having a mental blank  :lol
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
Richo kicking 6 against the Swans at the 'G in only his 4th game in tandem with Hoggy.

Kicking 27.3 in 95 before doing his knee thanks to the SCG fence  :(

Kicking 91 goals in his comeback the following year

I'm was spewing at the time missing out on seeing him (I was OS) kick the winning goal against North in 2001 in the dying minutes after missing every shot before that lol. Secured our finals spot.

That goal against Hawthorn about 5 years ago where Richo was running into an open goal, took a bounce and stuffed it up then while being tackled through the point-line he was able to keep the ball and his right foot in bounds and kick the goal  :rollin. One of the funniest things I've ever seen on a footy field and basically sums Richo up. He makes the easy things seem hard and the hard things look easy  :thumbsup.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
Congrats to the big fella :clapping

Favourite moment ...hmmm.... so many to chose from.

His 200th game was special at the Dome against Port Adelaide

That North game in 2001 - was classic Richo ;D

But the best moment for me wasn't in a game but was at training one time and Richo had a fractured cheekbone. This little kid came up to Richo asked for his autgraph and then said to the big fella like  "your face looks sore" Richo said it was and then the kid said "would you like my Freddo frog Richo - you'll feel better" Richo said "that'd be great" but insisted they share half each - that kid walked away looking like he'd just won lotto  :thumbsup

I know it's a cliche but he is the Heart and Soul of our Club and an outstanding ambassador to the entire game - a few players could learn a bit about how to treat the fans from Matthew Richardson
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Birdman

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
if he plays which he will this week, i hope he kicks 12 goals and anounces his immediate retirement. if he does that that woudl be my fav richo moment. going out on a high for the team, then doing th eteam thing and making way 4 the future

Talk about tools, you are the biggest in the shed X.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »

Talk about tools, you are the biggest in the shed X.

Is that you Rosy?

Birdman

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »
A few games that come to mind when i think of Richo are:

Friday night against the Pies at the G. Cant remember the year but Richo played on from outside the boundary and lost the ball, then he kicked an ugly snap to seal the game. I remember that Scooter Moore was playing and he also kicked a great goal in the last qtr to get us over the line.

Another Friday night at the G against the Cats, it was a wet night and Richo booted 6. Remember watching him tear the Cats apart and we were up in level 2 of the Southern Stand singing "Richo, Richo man"

I also remember watching him play reserves against the Roos when he was dropped many years ago and he took about 18 marks from memory.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
absolute champ, congrats on the 250 Richo  :bow

Moi

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
Richo - flawed champion
Frustrating, yet hilarious.  You can't change him, so you end up laughing these days at how he butchers kicking.
Beautiful person inside and out!
Tiger through and through

:gotigers

Moi

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »
I also remember watching him play reserves against the Roos when he was dropped many years ago and he took about 18 marks from memory.
He broke Rex Hunt's record from my memory and he marked 20+

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 09:57:08 PM »
A few games that come to mind when i think of Richo are:

Friday night against the Pies at the G. Cant remember the year but Richo played on from outside the boundary and lost the ball, then he kicked an ugly snap to seal the game. I remember that Scooter Moore was playing and he also kicked a great goal in the last qtr to get us over the line.

Another Friday night at the G against the Cats, it was a wet night and Richo booted 6. Remember watching him tear the Cats apart and we were up in level 2 of the Southern Stand singing "Richo, Richo man"

Yeah first game you Mentioned Birdman rd 11 1997 v Pies on Queens Birthday wkend Friday nite.
My highlights that night was Richo took two speccies in 3rd quarter on Shauble punt rd end 15 out exactly same spot hit the post both times. Then later in the quarter marked members stand side 50 on the boundary went back and drilled it. Proceeded to kick the winning goal palying on after taking a mark in the square just as he was being tackled. Remember Benny Gale taking about 4 marks on half back to repell the Pies from trying to level the scores.
Tigs 11 11 77 Pies 10 11 71
Of course his 10 goals against the dogs in rd 8  Tigs 15 15 105 to 10 22 82
even more special was the week before up in Sydney coming back from injury he kicked 7 out of 10.
Remember in the first minute he got the ball about 70 out took off with 2 bounces and drilled it from 50. Tigs 10 7 67 to 8 6 54.
His comeback from a knee reco rd 1 1996 against the Dons kicked 6 in a losing side. Looked as good as he has ever been that season. Tigs 15 14 104 to Dons 19 8 122
Made Silvagni look Silly later that year in a narrow defeat to the Blues in rd 10 kicked 7 6 out of 13 12 90 and took 17 marks ran Silvagni ragged to bad Benny made a crucial error that allowed Diesel Williams and Heaver to kick the winning goals.
My favourite all time Richo moment was rd 17 2001 grudge match v the Dogs at the dome. Had taken abt 6 marks till 3 qt time and looked okay but we fell 16 points down early in the last quarter and Richo just stepped up to the plate. Another 7 marks in the final quarter including one on defensive side of wing to repel a dogs thrust in the dying moments two goals including one I will never forger boundary line medallion club side nthern end at the 50 to put us in front. The emotion that night on Richo's face and all the supporters at the end of that one was palpable after our 15 12 102 to 15 10 100 victory.I was on a high for about 3 days after that and I still get goosebumps whenever that game gets brought up with the lads I go to the footy with. Plus we made a killing on us at the TAB and the cas that night but that is a separate issue.

Richo, good luck all the best you have been a credit to yourself your family and your football club and I hope that your milestone is a memorable one and the team can get up for you  as your loyalty and committment is inspiring. You have provided me with 15 seasons of memories and if it was humanely possible I wish you could be playing for the next 15. I can only hope wish and prey that in the twilight of your career the team successess such as finals and premierships can be a fitting resolution to your already stellar career. :thumbsup
Keep up the great work champ. Boys from Q49 Olympic Stand.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:13:40 PM by Hellenic Tiger 74 »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »
Richo - flawed champion

richo in 2 words  :clapping

Being only 17, my memories of Richo probably aren't as extensive as others.

My greatest memory of Richo was in 04 IIRC when we played Sydney in the wet and Richo was dominant that day

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
His 200th game was special at the Dome against Port Adelaide

That North game in 2001 - was classic Richo ;D

But the best moment for me wasn't in a game but was at training one time and Richo had a fractured cheekbone. This little kid came up to Richo asked for his autgraph and then said to the big fella like  "your face looks sore" Richo said it was and then the kid said "would you like my Freddo frog Richo - you'll feel better" Richo said "that'd be great" but insisted they share half each - that kid walked away looking like he'd just won lotto  :thumbsup

I know it's a cliche but he is the Heart and Soul of our Club and an outstanding ambassador to the entire game - a few players could learn a bit about how to treat the fans from Matthew Richardson

Yep, yep and yep.  Great story.  When I was down in Melb for his 200th, Mini-me and I went to the museum and Mini-me asked about Richo and Dennis there brought out a big folder full of articles about the big fella.  Said only Jack Dyer had a bigger folder. 

Richo, good luck all the best you have been a credit to yourself your family and your football club and I hope that your milestone is a memorable one and the team can get up for you  as your loyalty and committment is inspiring. You have provided me with 15 seasons of memories and if it was humanely possible I wish you could be playing for the next 15. I can only hope wish and prey that in the twilight of your career the team successess such as finals and premierships can be a fitting resolution to your already stellar career.
Keep up the great work champ. Boys from Q49 Olympic Stand.

Well said Hellenic.  I'm just sorry I won't be there for his 250th