Author Topic: Caro on 3aw  (Read 1673 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caro on 3aw
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:34:16 PM »
Caro was on 3aw before 7pm.

* Too early for Terry yet. The 2-years left on his contract means he won't be sacked. She still believes he's a coach for the modern era. Inherited a shocking list and has been let down by others around the club (read recruiting). Club needs to revamp its recruiting which it's doing. Terry realised when he took the job on that it was be a long term task and that he may be like Walls at Brisbane and leave it to his successor to take the team he will build to success.

* Happy with picking up Lids. Will be a 200 game player for the Tigers. Healy then said "it's then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks of the 2004 draft?" Caro said there were no complaints at the time choosing Lids and Tambo.

* Miller needs to go. He said he wanted 5 years when he first arrived at Richmond and that time is up and he has nothing on-field to show for it. She wondered how focussed he was with recruiting given hs extra-curricular activities (running a business) and in 2004 helping Casey get re-elected. Did Greg take his eye off the ball leading up to the 2004 draft? ... no answer to that as went to a ad break.

* Club is worse on-field than 5 years ago (read list). Club is stronger off-field - stable board, finances improving and under control.

* Who out of Carlton and Richmond would reach a flag first? Caro umm and ahhed saying both lists were ordinary. She eventually picked us.

Ox

Re: Caro on 3aw
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »
prune face whorebag read my post on BF.

Moi

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
Greg hasn't done a great job, but fair's fair, the resources for recruiting haven't been there, he's been a one man show.  It's amazing how draft players can be lauded at the time as good picks by all and sundry, but down the track ppl suddenly develop amnesia about what they thought of them at the time.

If Greg goes, so be it, but feel a bit sorry that he didn't have much support either.  

And Jack, before you get on my back, if he's had his 5 year stint and hasn't done the job, by all means if we can find someone better go for it.  

As for Terry, I agree with everything the shifty cow says, he drew the short straw when he chose Richmond but he's doing exactly what I wanted him to do where others took the easy road, so he gets my support until his five years are up, and then we reassess.

I'm sick of sacking coaches mid-term, and would like to see some respectability back at the club that we can honour agreements.  

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »
Well said ())(!

Caro you Ugly be-arch :P

Ox

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
Well said ())(!

Caro you Ugly be-arch :P
She's such a Bastard! :shh

Passionfruit

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
Greg hasn't done a great job, but fair's fair, the resources for recruiting haven't been there, he's been a one man show.  It's amazing how draft players can be lauded at the time as good picks by all and sundry, but down the track ppl suddenly develop amnesia about what they thought of them at the time.

If Greg goes, so be it, but feel a bit sorry that he didn't have much support either.  

And Jack, before you get on my back, if he's had his 5 year stint and hasn't done the job, by all means if we can find someone better go for it.  

As for Terry, I agree with everything the shifty cow says, he drew the short straw when he chose Richmond but he's doing exactly what I wanted him to do where others took the easy road, so he gets my support until his five years are up, and then we reassess.

I'm sick of sacking coaches mid-term, and would like to see some respectability back at the club that we can honour agreements.  

I actually agree with you :o
Although we gave Danny Frawley 5 years and honored his contract and where did that get us . Keep in mind we were 1 game away from playing in a Grand Final in 2001, and then finished  14th, 13th and 16th..

Would also add that Dan Minogue, Checker Hughes, Percy Bentley, Jack Dyer, and Tom Hafey all coached 5 years or more and got flags..
History says he has to coach a flag in a five year period, otherwise you are out the door!.

Moi

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »
You get a guy like Neale Daniher and he had about 10 years. 
He had a good list a couple of years ago and could have well and truly gone all the way I thought.
poo happens in footy.  Doesn't matter how good a club you are, doesn't guarantee you success.

As long as you see what your club is trying to do, you get behind it and, hopefully, you can see the plan go from start to end.  That's what I see with Wallace.  With others, you had no idea what they were doing.  Doesn't mean Wallace is going to be successful, because this is Richmond after all, but for a club that's been struggling for any kind of direction and has just been running off the reactions of supporters, it's kind of nice that Wallace has at least had three years free reign without the knives. 

The heat is going to be on from next year if he's still there  :pray  Even if we have another lousy year but I see what i see coming through with some of our kids like this year, I still think we're going in the right direction.  Eventually those kids will come of age, and from what I've seen of the new group, they'll have none of that weak mentality that has trashed our club for the last 20 years.

Birdman

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »
I think its time for a big clean out though with a lot of off field staff.

In particular, assistant coaches and support staff that have been there for a while.

I dont think out fitness is overly good, we have had the same guys for years now.

Obviously our skill level is terrible and its hard to change a lot of habits, but i think that Brian Royal has run his race and needs to be moved on.

Craig McRae seems to be doing well with the kids and i have a lot of good comments about him.

David King is just a wanker and he also should move on.

I am happy to keep Rawlings but we need to poach some experienced assistants.

Not sure who we should target though, maybe someone like McKenna if he doesnt get picked up or Bond. They may want to experience another club.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »

In particular, assistant coaches and support staff that have been there for a while.

I dont think out fitness is overly good, we have had the same guys for years now.

Obviously our skill level is terrible and its hard to change a lot of habits, but i think that Brian Royal has run his race and needs to be moved on.

Craig McRae seems to be doing well with the kids and i have a lot of good comments about him.

Not sure who we should target though, maybe someone like McKenna if he doesnt get picked up or Bond. They may want to experience another club.
Anything that is better for the club, has to be done.
But if we haven't been able to recruit the best due to financial restraints before, how are we going to do this?

Passionfruit

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »

Agree.
problem will be this.
Terry willl stick by ""his team "" . If they go, you guessed it.?
He wouldnt work without his team. Thats the issue.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 08:51:12 PM »
Agree.
problem will be this.

Yeah fair point Jack but I think we saw at the end of last year that Terry will make changes to "his team" if he thinks it needs to happen (refer: Out: Wheadon In: McCrae & Rawlings). I reckon if Tezza could get a Voss or a Bond he would do it in an instant.

Actually I agree with Birdy regarding the fitness blokes - weren't the same ones from the Frawley years
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Birdman

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
Agree.
problem will be this.

Yeah fair point Jack but I think we saw at the end of last year that Terry will make changes to "his team" if he thinks it needs to happen (refer: Out: Wheadon In: McCrae & Rawlings). I reckon if Tezza could get a Voss or a Bond he would do it in an instant.

Actually I agree with Birdy regarding the fitness blokes - weren't the same ones from the Frawley years

I dont think it should be totally up to Wallace in regards to the total make up of the Coaching staff, Terry can obviously coach just like a player you dont lose your skills.

I think he needs to be taken out of his comfort zone with all his "mates" around him and bring in fresh faces.

I know its started but i think initially Terry bought too many people from the Bulldogs with him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 04:26:36 AM »
I forgot one other thing that Caro and Healy discussed.

Healy asked if the Richmond brand, which not only has taken a battering this year but has been irrelevant since round 6, could cope with another year like 2007 next year. That is we do a Hawthorn by collecting another draft's worth of early picks to add to our young talent stocks. Or does the Richmond brand need to go for more experienced players?

Caro ummed and ahhed again before saying do a Hawthorn. 

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »
Look whether or not Terry is around next year, after his 5 years, whenever, whoever takes over the club is going to have some 24-25 year old players.

These players may not be good enough to win us a flag, but they will, with the help of some good drafting from 2006 onwards, get us to some finals series in the future.

We shouldn't have any holes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:43:33 AM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »
Look whether or not Terry is around next year, after his 5 years, whenever, whoever takes over the club is going to have some 24-25 year old players.

These players may not be good enough to win us a flag, but they will, with the help of some good drafting from 2006 onwards, get us to some finals series in the future.

We shouldn't have any holes.
Exactly wayne  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd