Author Topic: Rainesy into the midfield  (Read 1619 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rainesy into the midfield
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:56:48 AM »
Midfield beckons after 50 games
5:16 PM Wed 25 July, 2007
By Greg Lange,
for richmondfc.com.au

IF ALL goes to plan, Andrew Raines will run on to the MCG in round 22 against St Kilda relieved at not having to answer the question that has dogged him since he started playing for the Tigers: "When are you going to start playing in the midfield?"

"Terry said to me he wanted 50 games under my belt," Raines explained.

"I am approaching 50 games and, hopefully, if everything goes right  by the end of the year I can step into the midfield and get some good experience there in the next few years."

Raines’ apprenticeship in defence this year has taken him into an area neither he nor his coach, ideally, thought it would go. The 21-year-old was asked to “fight above his height” on opponents such as Nick Riewoldt and Chris Tarrant due to injuries and retirements to key defenders.

“It has been pretty tough at times,” Raines said about his adjusted role in defence in 2007.

“It has been hard to get more of my natural attacking game going. But it has definitely been a good experience and I have learned a lot this year.”

Normally you would assume such height mismatches would earn Raines his fair share of sledging, but the 45-gamer acknowledges only one verbal blow. The culprit, off-field friend and fellow Queenslander Nick Riewoldt, called him a “midget” when Raines lined up on him in round 13.

“The next day I talked to him about that,” Raines laughed.

However, it is not just Raines who has been asked to take on more responsibility in defence. He says the retirement of a few key-position players down back has forced the younger players to also step up.

“When we have been going well in games it definitely comes from the backline attacking out of there. But, obviously, there are a lot of areas we need to improve on.”

“However, it is a learning thing. Our future is a lot brighter because the experience only helps you for the future,” he said.

“So, we are hoping the likes of Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane and Graham Polak, who has done a pretty good job this year, can earmark themselves as key-position players in the future.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=47976

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rainesy into the midfield
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »
raines was tried in the middle once and was lost, lets hope he is better 2nd time around

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:09:50 PM »
Send Rainsy to the Coburg seconds
he dont deserve a game at AFL level or Coburg senior level
turnover king he needs to be taught basic skill level again & to harden up his a pee ant nothing like his father

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
I hope that the development of Rainsey isn't being tracked purely on senior games. The lads gone backwards and needs a kick up the arze.

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
I hope that the development of Rainsey isn't being tracked purely on senior games. The lads gone backwards and needs a kick up the arze.

correct the best kick up the arse would be dropped to the Coburg seconds to learn how to tackle, kick, handball & man-up
this guy is weak & pathetic

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 01:45:41 PM »
2008 ... he must ... with tuck gone ... he will be our "long kick" player !!!

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »
2008 ... he must ... with tuck gone ... he will be our "long kick" player !!!

Tuck is playing with injury & has done all season
they won't delist him on that but l maybe wrong

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:15 PM »
After last year I quietly felt that Raines was a born on-baller.  He attacked the ball aggressively and just seemed to have such natural instincts in heavy traffic.  I imagine Terry probably would've chatted to him before the season began about trying him in the middle after 50 games.  Naturally, at the time it would've looked like the most sensible way to manage it and I reckon Wallace had planned for a couple of the youngsters to be ready to trial in that back pocket spot by then.  Pretty sound thinking to me.

Perhaps Rainesy does need a spell, but class never leaves.  He's young and form slumps happen.  He'll be back.

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »
After last year I quietly felt that Raines was a born on-baller.  He attacked the ball aggressively and just seemed to have such natural instincts in heavy traffic.  I imagine Terry probably would've chatted to him before the season began about trying him in the middle after 50 games.  Naturally, at the time it would've looked like the most sensible way to manage it and I reckon Wallace had planned for a couple of the youngsters to be ready to trial in that back pocket spot by then.  Pretty sound thinking to me.

Perhaps Rainesy does need a spell, but class never leaves.  He's young and form slumps happen.  He'll be back.

well he never got dropped so someone down there has faith in him so lets see if he can proove that l'm a bit off track with my judgement on him
but for him to make me happy l like to see him tackle more aggresively stopping players from getting the ball off when under a tackle & not giving away crazy free kicks

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
well he never got dropped so someone down there has faith in him so lets see if he can proove that l'm a bit off track with my judgement on him
but for him to make me happy l like to see him tackle more aggresively stopping players from getting the ball off when under a tackle & not giving away crazy free kicks

No I'm actually in total agreement with you Tigermonk.  Rainesy should've been given a spell weeks ago.  I was just describing how I felt at the start of the year when I reckon Terry must've talked to him about the midfield.  There's no way any coach could suggest a stint in the middle on current form.

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 11:01:56 PM »

No I'm actually in total agreement with you Tigermonk.  Rainesy should've been given a spell weeks ago.  I was just describing how I felt at the start of the year when I reckon Terry must've talked to him about the midfield.  There's no way any coach could suggest a stint in the middle on current form.

ok well you & me know that but Terry Wallace did tonight what a joker but in any case l give Rainsy credit he looked good in the team of tankers tonight
l like to see Terry Wallace contract cut up & burnt come season end  :shh

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »
totally agree. Rainesy is massively down on form.

Needs a good run down at the burgers to regain confidence

Also need a new skills coach, some of his kciking is shocking  :banghead

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »
Jade Rawlings is down there no wonder our kicking sucks  ;D
he was one of the worst kicks at the hawks

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:48 AM »