Author Topic: Tuesdays with Terry - 31/7/07  (Read 690 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuesdays with Terry - 31/7/07
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
foxsports.com.au
July 31, 2007
AAP

AS a wretched season heads towards a painful close for Richmond, coach Terry Wallace once again found some positives.

The Tigers have a fiendishly difficult finish to the season, starting with a trip to Skilled Stadium on Saturday to face ladder leaders Geelong, the team which humiliated them by 157 points earlier in the year.

That's followed by clashes against Collingwood, West Coast at Subiaco, Essendon and St Kilda - all still well in the finals hunt.

But a beleaguered Wallace isn't totally despondent.

"To play the better sides at this stage of the year is probably a good thing because the young players get to learn more from the better players in the competition," Wallace said.

"We don't want to get belted, but certainly you do learn quite a bit."

In keeping with the rebuilding theme, the Tigers will hand a senior debut to rookie-listed ruckman Angus Graham.

The 20-year-old from the Bass Strait farming outpost of King Island gets his chance against Geelong in what Wallace said is well-deserved reward for a strong season in the VFL (Victorian Football League).

Graham - the fifth Tiger to make his AFL debut this year - is as nervous as he is eager.

"I'm just trying not to think about it too much," Graham said.

"It's too early in the week to get worked up, I'm just trying to stay calm."

Graham's debut match has special significance - he comes from a family of lifelong Geelong supporters.

For his teammates it looms as a reminder of the lowest points in a low season.

Richmond suffered the worst defeat in the club's history going down by 157 points to Geelong in round six.

But Wallace has dredged a piece of positive spin to apply to that disaster.

"I keep going back to 1999 and some young, fresh-faced Geelong players in a VFL premiership," Wallace said.

"Eight or nine of them came through together and they are the Geelong side that we face at the weekend.

"I give credit to Geelong ... they deserve everything they're getting at the moment."

Wallace also sees another benefit in playing a team in the sparkling style of Geelong.

"We want to see how we go against a side that's playing in such great form," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22166347-23211,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuesdays with Terry - 31/7/07 (audio)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tuesdays with Terry - 31/7/07
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:04:39 PM »
Wallace guarded on Tigers
31/07/2007
Angus Morgan Sportal/The Age

Wallace stressed that his primary aim on Saturday will be to win, but that process and the longer-term goals for the Tigers are as relevant as ever.

"My aims and objectives when I came to the football club was to develop our own and that development has started," he said.

"That's the job that I said that I would take on. Whether there's hand grenades going off around the sidelines, that's the position and you've got to be strong enough to accept that.

"I'm comfortable to accept that that's the way that it is at this point in time but I know that if the club sticks fat and we stick to our process that we've put in place, it will turn.

"Whether I'm there to see it turn is always the $20,000 question, but I won't be changing the manner in which I've structured up for the future."

Wallace said he hadn’t taken any notice of media speculation that's developed in the past week regarding Kevin Sheedy's close ties to Richmond and the implications for Wallace's own prospects of seeing out the final two years of his five-year contract.

"I just get on with doing my job and let people say or think what they do, never react to them," he said.

"You just get on with what you can deal with and that's all I ever do."

In the unlikely event that Wallace wants some outside advice on that, he could look to the bookies.

They have the Cats at $1.03, the shortest price any team has ever been in an AFL match.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Angus-Graham-to-debut-for-Tigers-in-AFL/2007/07/31/1185647893904.html

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/wallace-guarded-on-tigers-32338