Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / Heat's on top Tigers  (Read 838 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Plough's aftermatch media conference / Heat's on top Tigers
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:17:01 AM »
Heat's on top Tigers
05 August 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace last night turned the heat on his senior players as the Tigers face the prospect of completing their worst season in VFL-AFL history.

The Tigers' wretched year continued yesterday when they were belted by 70 points by premiership favourite Geelong at Skilled Stadium.

With the one win and a draw so far, there is no respite in sight, with the Tigers to meet Collingwood, West Coast (at Subiaco), Essendon and St Kilda - teams either secure in the top eight or jostling for a finals spot - in the last month.

The Tigers now appear certain to collect their sixth wooden spoon, but previously they at least had another win to their credit.

Where the likes of Kevin Bartlett in 1989 and Danny Frawley in 2004 were sacked, Wallace is protected by being in the third year of a five-year contract.

That same protection may not be given to his players, with assistant coach David King already declaring some are playing for their futures.

Wallace wouldn't publicly admit that last night, but the message was clear of what he expects from the likes of struggling captain Kane Johnson, Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden and Troy Simmonds.

"What I am looking for more than anything else is our senior players to take control of our footy club and to really set the tone and standards," he said. "I come away from the game today, most of my positives are with my younger players. We just really need a lift out of some of our senior boys.

"That's not trying to put the acid on them or anything else, but if I have a look at our winning form last year, our best players were our senior players. We just haven't had the same high standards from our senior players this year.

"We need them in the latter part of the season to really stand up and give us what they have got."

Wallace pointed to Hawthorn and the Kangaroos as teams brilliantly led by their senior players.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22190206%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Plough's aftermatch media conference / Heat's on top Tigers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 04:25:35 AM »
Stand up, Wallace tells senior Tigers
Martin Boulton | August 5, 2007 | The Age
Wallace wants experienced players to lift
Brandon Cohen | 4/08/2007 8:14:10 PM | Sportal

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has called on his senior players to stand up and set a better example for the youngsters as the club battles through a horror season.

The Tigers have lost their past six matches by an average of 48 points and Wallace laid the blame squarely at his senior players' feet.

While refusing to name names, it is clear that the likes of skipper Kane Johnson - who had only six possessions in the first half but finished with 21 - Troy Simmonds, Kayne Pettifer and Graham Polak are in the coach's sights.

After a second heavy loss to Geelong this year — though mercifully short of the record-breaking 157-point loss the Cats handed out in round six — Wallace said too many senior players appeared unwilling to lift their standards.

"What I'm looking for more than anything else is for our senior players to take control of the footy club and to really set the tone and set the standards," Wallace said.

"I came away from the game today and most of my positives are with my younger players and we just really need a lift out of our senior players.

"That's not trying to put the acid on them or anything like that, but last year our best players were our senior players and (were) in our best and fairest.

"We just haven't had the same high standards from our senior players so far this year. We need them in the latter part of the season to stand up and give us what they've got. If you reckon it's hard on the younger boys, they can't do it without the senior guys standing up and doing their bit."

"Purely and simply we need our key players to play good footy."

He said players such as debutant Angus Graham needed to have older players around them.

"If you reckon it's hard on the younger boys … they can't do it without the senior guys standing up and doing their bit.

"Look at the sides that have improved this year. The Kangaroos have got a quantum leap out of some of their younger players, but every week you pick up the paper and it's (Brent) Harvey, (Adam) Simpson, the same guys, Shannon Grant, playing really nice footy.

"Have a look at Hawthorn and it's (Sam) Mitchell and (Luke) Hodge and (Shane) Crawford and those sort of guys standing up, playing the best footy that allows the younger boys to do their job. We've got to have the same from our senior group, that's what you expect and demand."

Wallace said he was not suggesting "blokes are playing for their careers", but said some senior players needed to "take control of the group and take control of their performances collectively, not individually", over the next four rounds.

Wallace admitted Saturday's performance was 'a little bit like men against the boys', but said he was pleased with the efforts of youngsters Nathan Foley (35 disposals), second-gamer Daniel Connors (25) and Shane Edwards (15).

"The opposition wouldn't have more than four players who haven't been in that side for more than five years. And that's the difference. And it's a massive difference," Wallace said.

Richmond has another tough assignment next Friday night against Collingwood, before taking on the West Coast Eagles in Perth the following week.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/wallace-asks-seniors-to-stand-up/2007/08/04/1185648212437.html
http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/wallace-wants-experienced-players-to-lift-32631

retygas

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »
So did we need to be SHerlock Holmes to know we needed a lift out of most of our senior list. I would never had know that if I didn't read it. Now this senior list should go all the way to the very top. If someone can get a team to do what he wants there is something missing, maybe communication. Pagan got the sack for this as he couldn't get his boys to follow what he wanted them to do. I think we have a lot of dead wood and it needs to be cut a drift. And as the old saying goes live by the sword die by the sword. Its time for some players to throw in their boot as they are worthless. Johnson is the first on that list.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »
this is just wallce talking so much S H I T !

terry tan dumb@rse prik was saying these exact same tghings in roound 2/3/4/5/etc etc

after rnd 18, he saying the exact same bs! there have been 14 rounds since round 4 and he is still asking the senior group!

are the senior group deaf, fikken stupid or just dont give a f! i suggest they are all 3

but what makes tery even more frikken stupid, is that he has repeated this nmessage all yr but done nothing about it!

it too late now!

and all he is saying to these dud players, play well the next few weeks and ur careers are safe! thats bs, cos next yr, the same sh it will come round all over again!

based on the whole yr , and the salaries these duds get none of these players should be playing for our club.

the only players that can be excused are brown and snake cos of injury and both these players have not come back as goold as they could have because of mis management!

f o terry