Author Topic: Wallace says his ambition is to stick around at Richmond and finish the job  (Read 1780 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rollercoaster ride of ups and downs: Terry Wallace feels the scrutiny at the moment with Richmond not performing.

The ride of your life
10 August 2007   AFL
Terry Wallace

"Football consumes you and it consumes your family. The grind of coaching was taking an increasing toll on my life." Chris Anderson, Sydney Roosters coach, after quitting this month.

This quote could have belonged to any of the four AFL coaches who have left our system in the past few weeks.

The media scrutiny on the game is far more intense than ever before. Believe me, it is quite a bizarre life to live.

All coaches at some time are placed under unbelievable pressure from so many outside sources.

In the past 12 months both Mark Thompson and Dean Laidley have appeared to be "dead men walking" in regards to their chosen careers, yet have managed to fight back to fill the top two positions on the AFL ladder.

Were they poor coaches at that stage? I doubt it.

This year the blowtorch has been put on two coaches in particular - Denis Pagan at Carlton and Chris Connolly at Fremantle.

Very few people understand how intense this scrutiny becomes and how it can impact on your character, personality and everyday life.

My only real experience of this was when I resigned from the Bulldogs mid-contract.

I had no comprehension of the animosity and hatred that came from this decision.

At the time it cut so deep that it affected my sleeping patterns, my behaviour, my personality as I became more insular and eventually my health.

Listening to talk-back radio, reading articles and watching football shows, I have seen Pagan analysed and attacked from all angles - all from people who can have their say and walk away, leaving behind the wreckage.

I understand this more than most as I have been the analyst harsh on others as part of my work with the media and have also been on the receiving end as a senior coach.

Time and time again I have heard that I have gotten off lightly this year.

Well, come and spend a week in my life and see whether that is the truth?

I know only too well that when the bookies set the markets at the start of next year for the first coach sacked that I will be short odds-on favourite.

In no way am I feeling sorry for myself about this situation but simply trying to give people an understanding of the mental pressures coaches are under.

As an experienced full-time professional in the industry for 30 years, I understood the environment I was getting into, although the pressures have grown tenfold in recent years.

I can hardly comprehend how first-time coaches deal with some of these issues.

WHY BE A SENIOR COACH?

I OFTEN get asked why I would put myself through the life of a coach when people are so opinionated, critical, rude and nasty and where it has an ability to impact on your family and family life.

The only answer is that it is in your blood.

Each coach may answer this question differently, but for me I have always loved history of all sorts.

As a sportsperson I love the history of our great game and I am still amazed when I hear supporters talking about where they were on any given day when a particular final or big game was played.

Although many may not believe it, it was the sheer magnetism of trying to turn around a big four Melbourne-based club that has been unsuccessful for three decades that drew me back to Richmond.

To me that is the fantasy of the game and dreaming of that turnaround and working daily in an attempt to achieve it is my key motivation.

The other motivating factor is the fountain of youth.

I have no doubt that working with young people, in fact keeps you young.

I love to see players striving hard and realising their dreams. In what has been a horrible year, watching Nathan Foley work hard to become a top player at the club and viewing Shane Edwards' first dozen games in what will be a long career, still gives me a tingle down my spine.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING

THERE is no such thing as patience in football.

Ask any board member at Richmond which club my plan for them was based upon, they would tell you it was Geelong.

Twelve months ago people may have said that I was crazy basing it on a club which lacked success for so many years but I thought they had a plan and a group of people totally determined to see the plan through to its end.

Because of this solidarity they are reaping the rewards and I envy them, but more particularly congratulate them, for being so committed.

It has come to a stage in AFL life where the public only sees the game on a week-to-week basis and winning weekly is the only thing that matters.

Within a month in football you can be lauded for developing some junior players then three to four weeks later, you can have your club torn apart for having no future.

In the end if you are winning you are genius, if you are losing you are an imbecile.

I was recently asked if I still enjoyed coaching and whether I have enjoyed the year.

The answers to the two questions are totally different.

I love coaching but living in a losing environment is extremely tough. The only positive feedback I have had for the year comes from my family, the board, management and Richmond's football division.

People outside of that group can't wait to tell you about somebody who has abused you on the radio or written a poor article about you. It is impossible to get away from.

My emotions range from frustration, disappointment, anger and at times disbelief regarding the savage nature of the industry. But my driving emotion is determination.

I have lived a life of knockbacks.

At 13 I could not get a game in junior football for my local team and had to catch a bus from Templestowe to Preston to continue to play footy.

I was told three years in a row that I was not required at Fitzroy. Nine months later I played in a premiership for Hawthorn.

After 12 months at Richmond in 1987 they thought they had bought a dud and wanted out of my contract.

I then went on and won two best-and-fairest awards with the Bulldogs.

I am very used to people saying that things can't be done, so my burning ambition now is to prove the knockers wrong and have confidence to finish what I started three years ago and that is to develop a Richmond list that will come through and play a decade of football together and gain success for the club.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22218796%255E19771,00.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:41:09 AM by one-eyed »

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
very nice terry

so prove it to us

prove it to us u can stucture the team properly, get a decent game planm up an running, improve skills and delist crap players

prove to us teh team is playing 4 u!

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Well I for one am shattered to hear that he is staying, it means we are going to have to put up with 2 more years of the xXx man whinging about him  ;)
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Tigermonk

RFC should have a media clamp on all Richmond the admin & coaches, players,   
l'm tired of hearing & reading stuff the coaches & players have to say but cant produce
why cant they play football & concentrate on rebuilding the club instead of blah blah about what going on

Wallace should be told his coaching is his #1 priority & quit all his media or leave the club

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
l'm tired of hearing & reading stuff the coaches & players have to say but cant produce
why cant they play football & concentrate on rebuilding the club instead of blah blah about what going on

Wallace should be told his coaching is his #1 priority & quit all his media or leave the club

TM I am actually glad he wrote this article, we've had one win, so IMO he needs to explain himself and what he is trying to do.

He is asking people to get their violins out in the first part of the article, but Richmond is on track for one of the worst seasons in the club's history, so people aren't going to feel sorry for him.
He says winning is everything, well even the most feral writers here aren't saying that, perhaps he has the losing 'cancer' as well as the players and is getting a little paranoid. 'A' win would be nice, especially against the scum tonight.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Tigermonk

TM I am actually glad he wrote this article, we've had one win, so IMO he needs to explain himself and what he is trying to do.

He is asking people to get their violins out in the first part of the article, but Richmond is on track for one of the worst seasons in the club's history, so people aren't going to feel sorry for him.
He says winning is everything, well even the most feral writers here aren't saying that, perhaps he has the losing 'cancer' as well as the players and is getting a little paranoid. 'A' win would be nice, especially against the scum tonight.

DC l hate the Skunks with a passion
l have to live with it being half my household is skunk supporters & the the other Tiger supporters with 1 Essendon so its bad enough buying memberships for them when l trying very hard not too  ;D
Tigers vs the Skunks is the most important game in our family the household turns to war as we venture to every game involved with them so there aint nothing better than beating the Skunks so a win is a must tonight

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well I for one am shattered to hear that he is staying, it means we are going to have to put up with 2 more years of the xXx man whinging about him  ;)

not if terry starts doing what he is paid to do!

start coaching and making the right calls!

if he does that i will stop whinging

retygas

If Terry is staying I'm happy about that. I know a lot wont be happy but sometimes we have to suck it up.
But now if this is true, he has to show us that he has the team right behind him and show us the supporters that they will do the job.
I would love for the jumper to be more important than the money as it was back a whlie ago, but this is modern football now, and not the way football is come today.
And there has to be a whole scale clean out of dead wood.
I would now love to see Browny as the captain at least he has got what a leader needs,(skill). Not just to stay I have played in a premiership so this entitles me to be captain.
If he (Terry) can't put a team out there willing to give blood for the jumper, I will play. I reckon I can do as good as some of them.
I will be supporting them tonight, but fully knowing we stand little chance in winning, I hate to say this and would love to eat my words at the end of the day, as I  would love us to win and I will be one happy person if we can get the miracale winning spirt.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
If Terry is staying I'm happy about that. I know a lot wont be happy but sometimes we have to suck it up.
But now if this is true, he has to show us that he has the team right behind him and show us the supporters that they will do the job.
I would love for the jumper to be more important than the money as it was back a whlie ago, but this is modern football now, and not the way football is come today.
And there has to be a whole scale clean out of dead wood.
I would now love to see Browny as the captain at least he has got what a leader needs,(skill). Not just to stay I have played in a premiership so this entitles me to be captain.
If he (Terry) can't put a team out there willing to give blood for the jumper, I will play. I reckon I can do as good as some of them.
I will be supporting them tonight, but fully knowing we stand little chance in winning, I hate to say this and would love to eat my words at the end of the day, as I  would love us to win and I will be one happy person if we can get the miracale winning spirt.

good post,

and something tells me you wuill eat ur words and we will win tonight.

i think the tigers hit rock bottom and the wall again, and finally from what i can gather , terry has shown some real anger and intent.

we may just look back at this game as the one where the tigers finally turned the corner

this anger , intent and passion surely must rub off on the players, if it dosnt , then the playes either dont want terry or dont want rfc.

my 7th sense tells me the tigers will be 100% switched on and committed tonight

the future begins now

retygas

I so truely hope you are right. If you are right I'll even eat my words without tomato sauce. I will be fully backing the boys tonight, as will my son and granddaughter even thought she doesn't know crap about football. But she knows the words to the song in her mind. Please win boys I'm hungry.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I don't know why (perhaps being the Pies bogey side for 16 years) but Collingwood is probably the only club that I reckon our players truly believe they can beat each time no matter how they're doing during a season. I hope they still do tonight  :pray.

As for Terry's article - so much for talk of him walking out.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd