Author Topic: What is Lids' most damaging position?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What is Lids' most damaging position?
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:39:58 AM »
As the topic/poll says, what is Lids' most damaging position that is best for the team? Thoughts?

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What is Lids' most damaging position?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
lids has never been a defender , nor an inside midfielder. he jas always been a fwd

i say keep him up fwd and just play him on ball when needed to get him in the game if the ball isnt get down there enough

i say 70% fwd, 30% onball and an outside receiver though

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
Up forward with a few spells through the midfield.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
I picked all 3 because that is what he is a utility.

However think he would be most damaging in a nick riewoldt type role.

playing him permanently up forward means we would lost his main asset IMO and that is his ball-carrying ability

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
Once he builds up his fitness Lids will be able to play all 3 possies but right now he still needs to learn to work harder (gut-run) to break a hard tag.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »
within the next 2-3 years...

Goalkicking mid-fielder :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:07:03 PM »
within the next 2-3 years...

Goalkicking mid-fielder :clapping

he already has the goal-kicking part, now just for the midfield part.

However, IMHO he will never be a pure on-baller. The best midfield role for him would be on a wing taking 10+ running bounces along the wing and killing the opposition with his pace and ball-carrying ability

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:51 AM »
From the Age......

It seems a cruel part of the Roughead/Franklin story that the former has had some of his best performances against Richmond.

As Richmond supporters have obsessively noted on their feisty websites, the Tigers had the opportunity to draft both of the Hawks forwards. Instead they have the combination of Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling.

Deledio clearly has the gifts of a number one pick and that is part of his problem. Just as Paul Salmon had the misfortune to be so talented for a 205 centimetre player that he spent too much of his career at full forward, Deledio also has suffered for his versatility. This year Terry Wallace has used him mainly as a marking forward to support Richardson - a structure that might suit Richmond but does not help Deledio much.

If he is to be the super star Richmond cries out for, it will surely be as a midfielder getting 25-30 possessions rather than as a mid-sized forward booting two or three goals.

Meanwhile, Tambling shows flashes without much constancy.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-day-roughead-stopped-a-roughie/2008/04/27/1209234659322.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
From the Age......

It seems a cruel part of the Roughead/Franklin story that the former has had some of his best performances against Richmond.

As Richmond supporters have obsessively noted on their feisty websites, the Tigers had the opportunity to draft both of the Hawks forwards. Instead they have the combination of Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling.

Deledio clearly has the gifts of a number one pick and that is part of his problem. Just as Paul Salmon had the misfortune to be so talented for a 205 centimetre player that he spent too much of his career at full forward, Deledio also has suffered for his versatility. This year Terry Wallace has used him mainly as a marking forward to support Richardson - a structure that might suit Richmond but does not help Deledio much.

If he is to be the super star Richmond cries out for, it will surely be as a midfielder getting 25-30 possessions rather than as a mid-sized forward booting two or three goals.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-day-roughead-stopped-a-roughie/2008/04/27/1209234659322.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Jake Niall get off your fat arse, get out of the pub, and go and watch the tigers live.

Bling has been extremely consistent this year.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
From the Age......

Talk about no research what-so-ever.  ::)

Deledio is a 24 possession midfielder averaging a goal a game.  That's bloody close to 25.

Blings last three weeks have been very consistent in his efforts and application.
EAT EM ALIVE!

blx

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
i laughed my head off when i read the report of the burgs v box hill clash.

you swear these guys just write anything down just to get the report in.

it really is that ridiculous but entertaining at the same time  :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
I've seen the improvement this year but......

Dare I say it I was pretty disappointed with Lids non chase in the last quarter long the members wing.  :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
what about the numerous times deledio could have thaken the game and opponents on with his pace but was too chicken poo too

that is what frustrates me the most, in his first 2 yrs he did it now he dosnt , he has a weak mindset i reckon

richmondrules

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »
I've seen the improvement this year but......

Dare I say it I was pretty disappointed with Lids non chase in the last quarter long the members wing.  :'(

Could he have been running on empty? The game was played at a pretty flat out pace.

lol. That's some good advise there under your avatar WP.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
There's always one lazy journo  ::). If we're going to compare first rounders where's Mitch Thorp while our Jack is playing AFL.

Richo has spent the last 3 weeks mainly on the wing so how is Lids supporting him up forward  ???.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd