Author Topic: "I was going to move to Richmond if Essendon won the 1999 flag" - Sheedy  (Read 895 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From the Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph 26 August 2007   

As the farewell tour reached fever pitch before today's final MCG game for the 27-season coach and James Hird, Sheedy said:

REVEALED he would have almost certainly crossed to Richmond in 1999 had his team won the flag.

Sheedy said the 1999 preliminary final loss to Carlton kept him at the club, after he was approached by friend and Tiger president Leon Daphne to coach Richmond.

"I was going to move to Richmond if we won the 1999 premiership, but I stayed and was blessed to be a part of the 2000 win," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22308000%255E19742,00.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
And I was going to punch out Walls after a game down Geelong one year, but I didn't .... so

Spose it's the flavour of the day. :sleep

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yet someone I know asked Sheeds why he didn't come to Richmond at the end of 1999 and the answer she got was "why would I leave a successful club like Essendon to go to a bottom club"  ::)

Sheeds is a legend of the game but you can't have two clubs at once. All that "son and daughter" tokenistic garbage  :chuck.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

I will never forgive Sheedy for that. It was then that I knew he was no longer a Richmond man.

I can see the integrity in the guy and I understand the desire to finish a job which is exactly what he did in 2000, but he hung us out to dry at the start of our darkest period. If Sheedy has come in 2000 we would not be in the position we're in now. My club is haemorrhaging and it was in Sheedy's power to stop it.

I will welcome him with open arms if he ends up with us in some capacity now, but I will never feel quite the same about him again. In the end of the day stuff what's good for Essendon.

richmondrules

I feel really good now.  :wallywink