Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 423515 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2700 on: March 14, 2023, 11:27:07 PM »
Lol not many are questioning his ability to continue to play his customary role as a mid, but in all good faith everyone has every right as to why we would play him as a forward when we have so many better options.

Why oh why would we play him fwd when there are fellow mids in Bolton, Martin, Taranto, and Sonsie  who should go thru there and to top that off we have permanent forwards in MRJ, Cumberland and Clarke  sheesh Castagna would have been a better defensive fwd option.

Have said it a few times playing Trent fwd is denying better fwd options an opportunity.

It aint rocket science just continue to play him as a mid coming from the bench.In that we don't have better options imo.

To me this is the problem of having such a long term coach who has got so close to players who have bought success.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2701 on: March 15, 2023, 08:00:34 AM »
So true mate.

I'd be playing him mid off the bench. Let everyone get a little tired then Cotch can come in and batter them

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2702 on: March 15, 2023, 03:06:14 PM »
Let's see where he plays, and how he plays, tomorrow night before getting too upset, folks.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2703 on: March 16, 2023, 10:40:21 PM »
Not sure exactly where he was playing but was a typical Cotchin game from what I could see. Strong and hard at the ball and won plenty of contests.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2704 on: March 16, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »
Not sure exactly where he was playing but was a typical Cotchin game from what I could see. Strong and hard at the ball and won plenty of contests.

Oh wow we agree and as a mid coming of the bench no need to change a thing.After all he is a mid and nothing more.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2705 on: March 17, 2023, 01:01:46 AM »
Solid game and that delivery to Lynch or Jack whoever it was, was a heat seeker. better than the high bombing crap we saw all night.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2707 on: March 26, 2023, 12:16:10 PM »
Malthouse in the HeraldSun:

The mind wants but the body can’t deliver, and frustration sets in.

I’ve noticed that with Cotchin in past couple of years. He becomes undisciplined if things don’t go the way he wants. Hardwick might feel like he owes Cotchin the chance, but with Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper recruited to slide into the midfield, where does that leave Cotchin?

His sheer guts and determination will assure that he’s competitive, but will he be game changing or contribute much to the score line playing forward? Yes, it’s a team effort, but if he becomes a passenger, then what?

After such a magnificent career, I wouldn’t want that for Cotchin. I’m not sure he’s played back before, but I think Hardwick needs to at least try him there.

He did it with Daniel Rioli who was just a cameo star on the forward line, but is now one of the league’s premier running backs.

Survival depends on adaptability.

Scott Pendlebury is a classic case. One of the smartest players going around, you won’t see him play forward too often.
He adds value to Collingwood’s midfield by playing a cameo role, and is extending his career by playing half-back, where he can still direct traffic. He’s not quick, but he slows the game down, and his reading of the play is second to none, which is why it works so well.

For the sake of the Tigers and Dockers, and for the pride of two brilliant contributors to our game, Pendlebury could be the perfect template for Cotchin and Fyfe.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/mick-malthouse-ponders-how-afl-clubs-should-utilise-ageing-superstars/news-story/d8644740885ff78ca3a06bfd09153779

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2708 on: March 26, 2023, 12:31:01 PM »
Didn’t get a chance to watch the whole game yesterday yet, but from what I saw he was far from our worst, same thing round 1. East/lazy articles from these journos or ex players/coaches to write about our older players but it’s obvious they aren’t even watching the matches.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2709 on: March 26, 2023, 02:22:14 PM »
Cotchin in the late third and fourth quarters showed real class. He didn't fumble where others did.

Broadsword

« Reply #2710 on: March 26, 2023, 05:50:16 PM »
Agree with Malthouse: Cotch behind the ball is his best position for mine. Also agree with eliminator that he looked a cut above when things got tight in the 3rd and 4th.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2711 on: April 03, 2023, 03:25:50 PM »
Richmond champion Trent Cotchin in school uniform furore

Richmond’s Trent Cotchin is at the centre of a school uniform controversy, with parents angry they have to support his side hustle.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-champion-trent-cotchin-in-school-uniform-furore/news-story/56eb5747fb452d01e0577c9117928fd5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2712 on: April 15, 2023, 01:16:06 AM »
Dimma was asked about subbing Cotch off post-game:

"One of the plans was trying to get MJ on. Felt we lacked a bit of yard up front. It was probably always going to be for one of the contest mids. That was who it was. We worked through a process, and it was Trent at this stage. Once again it is a long season. He's a veteran. He's a very, very good player. We just had to get another player onto the ground."

Go to 3:02 min mark: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1307890/round-5-hardwick-post-match

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2713 on: April 15, 2023, 11:06:37 AM »
Good answer by Dimma. Cotch is in his last year, some things are bigger than winning a flag every year and ensuring Cotchin leaves the game in a positive way is one of them. 3 time premiership captain, get him to 300 at the end of the season with class is very important for our footy club.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2714 on: April 15, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »
Good answer by Dimma. Cotch is in his last year, some things are bigger than winning a flag every year and ensuring Cotchin leaves the game in a positive way is one of them. 3 time premiership captain, get him to 300 at the end of the season with class is very important for our footy club.

Agreed 100%. Il never forget the battering he received in his early years.

Maybe if some other players like Bolton, Nank, Floss  lifted their games we wouldn’t have to rely on guys like cotch performing.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.