Author Topic: David Cloke  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
David Cloke
« on: August 02, 2004, 04:53:04 PM »
It was bizarre seeing David Cloke being driven around the MCG, before the game on Saturday, courtesy of Collingwood.

Didn’t listen intently enough to know why they were parading him, but it was bizarre when you consider that he played in two premierships with Richmond and played many more games for us too.

They showed highlights of him playing for CFC.  I was wondering when they were going to show the highlights of him playing for RFC in the 1980 Grand Final.

Never happened.  Not sure why. :rollin
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: David Cloke
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 04:55:27 PM »
And did you hear there is another son - Tristan Cloke.

DOn't know what's happended to Travis but Tristan was supposed to be around somewhere  :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 05:01:35 PM »
:o I missed that bit WP.

Wonder how good Tristan is and when he'll be eligible for the draft. ;)

Maybe CFC can have Tristan and we'll have Travis.  That sounds fair. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 05:04:09 PM »
What's happening with Travis? In the media nearly a month ago they were saying it was a done deal that he was off to Collingwood but there's been no announcement. You would reckon Eddie would have paraded him on TFS by now if it were so. In fact there hasn't been a peep about him in the press for weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
The clokes were at the Motorola game on the weekend, all bar Jason.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 05:11:03 PM »
The longer this takes, I wonder if that's good news for us.  Otherwise, why delay the announcement any futrhter?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:26:03 PM »
Maybe, because you would think if Cloke going to Collingwood was a done deal then Collingwood would announce that fact. Very strange.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 10:36:37 AM »
The Clokes are waiting to see who the RFC coach and his assistants are going to be before making a decision. 

Wasn't aware that there's a 4th Cloke.  Is this true ?
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 10:47:42 AM »
Who do the Clokes want Harry?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 11:06:08 AM »
The Clokes are waiting to see who the RFC coach and his assistants are going to be before making a decision. 

Wasn't aware that there's a 4th Cloke.  Is this true ?
Not a brother. Probably a cousin if there is another Cloke, maybe Peter's son. ???
I thought WP was joking that he was called Tristan instead of Travis at the game. WP?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 11:07:45 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 11:19:41 AM »
Rodger, I'm not Harry but my son who plays rep cricket with Travis got from schoolmates about 2 months ago that as of then David wanted Collingwood and Travis wanted Richmond. Heresay so by no means necessarily true then or now.
The delaying of a decision would be favourable for us I would think. I still expect him to go to Collingwood because they all support each other in their sporting pursuits.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 11:29:51 AM »

I don't really know who they prefer at this stage but I can recall a conversation I had last year with a mate of mine who is a manager at a hotel where the Clokes once had dinner.  He had a very long conversation with the Clokes, especially Travis and Julie.  Rumours that say Julie is pushing for the Clokes to play for Collingwood are false.  If anyone she is the most passionate about the Tigers than all of them and she told my mate that she wanted Travis to play for the Tigers as she is a keen tiger fan.  Travis was also a Tiger fan and had aspirations to play for us.  David was very reserved and my mate was quite frightened of him. 

So the facts as I see them are -

a) The Clokes always had intentions for there kids to play for Richmond
b) The Jason Cloke/ Mark Coughlan situation was badly handled by Beck to the point that David has vowed that none of his kids will play for us until Beck goes.  He told my mate that until a certain person remains at Richmond, then none of the Clokes will play there.  My guess is the certain person is Beck.
c) There have been rumours that Beck will go at the end of the year
e) David has been quite concerned with our development of kids, but the form this year of our kids at Richmond and Coburg will undoubtedly change this perception.
f) Eddie and the new Lexus centre would be swaying Travis towards Collingwood.
g) final piece of the jigsaw puzzle is the coaching set-up at tigerland.

Therefore the pro's for coming to Richmond are -
* Beck will most likely be gone
* Improved development of kids with qulity kids coming through
* If we can get a professional coaching dept led by Wallace

Pro's for going to the Pis
* Playing with brothers
* Professionalism, Eddie, and the Lexus centre

At the end of the day, if the Clokes made a decision with their hearts then Travis will play for us.  But if the decision was made with the mind then Collingwood would be favourites at this stage.  If we can get a really professional outfit in the coaches box, then I'd say we're still in the hunt.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 11:45:30 AM »
b) The Jason Cloke/ Mark Coughlan situation was badly handled by Beck to the point that David has vowed that none of his kids will play for us until Beck goes.  He told my mate that until a certain person remains at Richmond, then none of the Clokes will play there.  My guess is the certain person is Beck.

If this is true then they can take their third son and stick him up their ass......

Ive said this once and said this 1.000 times.....WHY ARE WE BOTHERING SO MUCH? If he wants to come to us, let him come. You got his mum and dad sticking their nose in everything and there is no garuntee that if we get Travis, the parents will take the dummy out of their baby sons mouth.

Give me Cogs over Jason anyday (realise your eldest is no good David) and let our club continue on looking for players who want to come, not need convincing with dinners and meetings nad the like.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »
OK

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 12:04:37 PM »

If this is true then they can take their third son and stick him up their ass......

Ive said this once and said this 1.000 times.....WHY ARE WE BOTHERING SO MUCH? If he wants to come to us, let him come. You got his mum and dad sticking their nose in everything and there is no garuntee that if we get Travis, the parents will take the dummy out of their baby sons mouth.

Give me Cogs over Jason anyday (realise your eldest is no good David) and let our club continue on looking for players who want to come, not need convincing with dinners and meetings nad the like.

It's not just the fact that we didn't take Jason, but apparently David wasn't impressed with the way Beck and co. handled it.  Apparently, (this is from my mate who discussed it with the Clokes) we told the Clokes that we will take Jason, but later changed our minds without notifying them.  The Clokes found out via a 3rd party and wern't too impressed that we didn't tell them.  Then there was a heated phone discussion between Cloke and Beck.