Author Topic: Age article on Ottens - "a better deal with each passing moment (for Geelong)"  (Read 9862 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Snippets from "High and mighty"
Martin Blake | September 9, 2007 | The Age

Brad Ottens has suffered from excessively high expectations from the time he walked into Richmond from Adelaide as a teenager at the end of 1997. He was the No. 2 draft pick, an All-Australian under-18 player and the son of a South Australian football star, Dean Ottens, who was a member of Sturt's flag-hogging teams of the 1960s and 1970s.

He had the pedigree and he looked a player, a big-time player. No one was particularly surprised when he sauntered into an All-Australian team in 2001, just his fourth season, as a goalkicker (he snared 46 goals that year with picture-perfect drop punts) and an occasional ruckman.

Then in 2002 he damaged his back, requiring surgery to remove part of a vertebrae. Around the same time, according to his then-coach, Danny Frawley, he matured physically. "Brad grew into a big man," says Frawley. "And he lost that agility he had because of his back injury. He was leading in straight lines. The better defenders could just pick him off."

So began a downward spiral that would take him out of Punt Road three years later. For the first time, Ottens drew the public heat familiar to all but the best of players. He was on big money as a result of his 2000-2001 performances, but his output did not justify it.

Frawley went at the same time in 2005, his coaching days over. He recalls a telephone call from his prized player near the end. "I didn't want to do the wrong thing by the club," says Frawley. "But he'd made up his mind. He was going to leave."

Ottens told his coach that Sydney and Geelong were interested. "What's (Paul) ‘Roosy' want?" was Frawley's first question, and Ottens said that the Swans wanted a ruckman (they would eventually get Darren Jolly out of Melbourne). Ottens told Frawley that Cats coach Mark Thompson wanted to use him primarily as a forward.

"He was keen on Geelong because of the lifestyle," says Frawley. "But I pretty much told him he should be looking at Sydney. I said, ‘That (rucking) is where you're at, Brad'. I thought it (Geelong) was fraught with danger because he was going to be the great white hope. They hadn't had the forwards since (Gary) Ablett and (Bill) Brownless and he's such a good guy, those things can eat at him at times."

Brad Ottens was always a ruckman, as far back as his teenage years, when he led Emmanuel College to a premiership in public school football while he boarded in Adelaide - the only flag of his footballing life. "It's been my natural position," he says. Brendan McCartney, Geelong's stoppage coach, saw it all along. McCartney was Richmond's reserves coach when Ottens first arrived in Melbourne. "He was an exceptional ruckman from day one. He knew how to palm the ball and he knew how to find a teammate."

The public expected him to bash and crash, when in reality, he had his eye on the football. "I don't think I need to throw elbows around or get myself reported. It's something I've never done. If I did it, it wouldn't be natural," says Ottens.

At one point, Richmond coach Terry Wallace, attempting a Sheedyesque ramping up of the atmosphere before a Tigers-Cats match, publicly accused Ottens of leaving Richmond for money.

In truth, Ottens had been offered a smaller contract by Richmond but he was in a rut anyway, and he believed he needed a change. Sources suggest that Ottens thought there was no room in the Tigers' forward line for both he and Matthew Richardson. Wallace's comments stung, but only momentarily. "I knew the reasons why I left, and people that matter to me knew the reasons. That was just his opinion. I'd spent seven years at Richmond.

"I guess my performance had dropped away a bit. I wanted to get a bit more out of my footy and enjoy it a bit more and to do that I had to make a change. I've never thought twice about it since. It doesn't bother me. I haven't had a whole lot to do with him."

Recruiter Stephen Wells' 2005 trade for Ottens - Richmond extracted draft picks with which it selected Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison - looks a better deal with each passing moment.

Full article at: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/high-and-mighty/2007/09/08/1188783557068.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Let's wait and see if the donut goes missing today when it counts.

If he stars today I might change my mind about his worth.

richmondrules

... "I'd spent seven years at Richmond." ...

Yes .. yes you had. While we nursed you through back trouble and jumping on garden stakes and paid you an absolute fortune. Us poor supporters sat there while you we injured hoping and praying you got back to your best, and happy to wait because we felt you were worth it. You are now getting back to your best and all our hard work and patience is finally paying off. But hang on, your playing for Geelong after leaving us at our darkest hour. Well Brad I suppose you will understand, being the reasonable sort of guy that you are, if I say "Thanks for nothing".

Enjoy your finals campaign.

Hellenic Tiger

Oh yes whilst Geelong are in pole position going into finals
then yes the deal is great is it?
Fools fools fools in the media writing about crap and filling a page
in the paper that would be best spent writing about something else more worthwhile.
Wasn't it not this time last year when Geelong were ready to have their soul
searching self evaluation when people were critical of the Cats in general as an organisation from top to bottom and Ottens as one
of those players that have not pulled their fingers out of their behind to play for their coach. If Geelong goes out in straight sets or fails to win the flag well would that be not egg on this journos face and Ottens?
Oh yes and your troubles with alcohol Brad I suppose they are less of an issue at Geelong as opposed to your former club at Richmond. A characterless and souless individual who left the football club when it was rock bottom. If Geelong do win the flag I hope you are on the sidelines suspended and injured and if indeed my wishes do come true next time the sides meet Terry has the boys fired up and the boys make a beeline for him and let him know about his loss. Sorry guys I'm rambling on now. :lol
 Much like the Buckley story leaving Brisbane to go and play Premierships at the Pies. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what happened in 2002 and 2003 and who did you lose to Bucks. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
 :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Is Spud now the media's speaker of all things Richmond because they can't actually get a story off someone who is actually at Richmond?   :chuck

If Otto had stayed the media would be criticising us for not trading him and getting a young tall like Patto  ::). By the time we'll be in contention again Otto will be near the end of his career.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Of course it was a great deal for Geelong, we never wanted Ottens to go, Wallace tried to talk him out of it, ottens was one of our best, he got sick of our ineptitude and left and now it looks very likely that he will be wearing a premiership medallion very shortly, good on him.

Rodan is another one, only we wanted to get rid of him, god only knows why, the blokes a winner.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland

I've never thought twice about it since. It doesn't bother me

Game set and match - that sums up Ottens completely.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Of course it was a great deal for Geelong, we never wanted Ottens to go, Wallace tried to talk him out of it, ottens was one of our best, he got sick of our ineptitude and left and now it looks very likely that he will be wearing a premiership medallion very shortly, good on him.
He wasn't exactly above that ineptitude though RR with just one top year in seven and he said publicly first he wanted to stay. It's taken his 3rd year at Geelong and playing ruck to a midfield containing Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Enright, Chapman and co to show form anywhere near that of his 2001 AA form. Good luck to him as I agree I think he'll have a premiership medallion in 3 weeks time but we can't blame the RFC for his struggling first 2 years at Geelong after 3 below par years at Punt Rd.

Same goes for Rodan. Now playing very well as second fiddle to the Burgoynes, Cornes, Pearce, Cassisi and Salopek. We also had D-Rod coming back from a knee.

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
Brad who? :sleep

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"I knew the reasons why I left, and people that matter to me knew the reasons. That was just his opinion. I'd spent seven years at Richmond.

Brad sadly you just don't get it.

You told the entire footy world you wanted to stay, sat across from the then new coach and said you wanted to stay

You got offered a reduced contract and low and behold you decided to leave...

These aren't dreams people had Brad these are things that happened ... things you said...

Sugar coat it any way you want you walked out and took more money

You left a club that was bloody good to you but when things got tough you jumped.. to the cosy confines of Geelong.

Enough said...

Twit

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
In the end we got nothing out of the Ottens' trade  :-\ but there was nothing wrong with the picks 12 and 16 we got in return in the actual trade. We just had a two-man recruiting band who wasted them  :P. Looking back the draft wasn't as strong as everyone was making out at the time. Plenty of flops and just ordinary players outside the top 7. Had we picked up a Van Berlo and perhaps Cameron Wood (not that he's a certainty either) we wouldn't have thought twice about re-doing the trade now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_AFL_Draft

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
In the end we got nothing out of the Ottens' trade  :-\ but there was nothing wrong with the picks 12 and 16 we got in return in the actual trade. We just had a two-man recruiting band who wasted them  :P. Looking back the draft wasn't as strong as everyone was making out at the time. Plenty of flops and just ordinary players outside the top 7. Had we picked up a Van Berlo and perhaps Cameron Wood (not that he's a certainty either) we wouldn't have thought twice about re-doing the trade now.

Have to agree. Two first round draft picks for a bloke who has had back surgery is not a bad deal. It's then up to the club to draft smart and the develop properly. That's the part that went pear shaped.

The last bloke before that traded with a crook back was Hoggy. Hoggy didnt do much after that while Butch Gale and Broddo both gave good service. Cant think of the name of the other we got, but he was a flop. Still, killed the pig with that deal.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame

At the time of the draft it should have always been Monfries & Wood
I couldn't believe it when we overlooked a true ruckman with 12 & even more so 16

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Still has me stunned that we did not draft Cameron Wood  :o

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Losing Ottens was the wrong move, we should not have asked him to take a pay cut.