Author Topic: Tigers to keep No. 2 pick - Miller / Tigers can lead Judd circus  (Read 2587 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to keep No. 2 pick - Miller / Tigers can lead Judd circus
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »
Tigers to keep No. 2 pick
26 September 2007   Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

RICHMOND has virtually given up hope of securing Chris Judd in the pre-season draft and will not use its precious No. 2 national draft selection in any potential deal.

The Tigers also said yesterday they were not interested in Collingwood ruckman Josh Fraser, who has been touted as a trade option.

"What is he, 27-28 (26 in January), that's not in our line of thinking," Richmond's football director Greg Miller said last night.

"Our line of thinking is young players so if that counts Josh out, it does."

A concern, also, is Fraser's health. He missed Collingwood's last two finals with a back-hip complaint.

Signalling its intention to rebuild its shattered list, Richmond is expected to use its No. 2 selection on either midfielder Trent Cotchin or athletic tall, Cale Morton, and their next selections, No. 18 and No. 19, on more youth.

The possibility of adding the 24-year-old West Coast superstar is an extreme long shot.

It depends on West Coast not making a deal with the club Judd's of choice, which would potentially see him enter the pre-season draft.

"We're not in (with Judd), but if things fell down around us then we might get back in," Miller said.

"It's a totally different picture if no-one could do a deal. But they will work out, they always do, other than Nick Stevens they've always worked out."

Collingwood tried to do a deal with Port Adelaide to trade for Stevens but Port rejected the offer, sending Stevens into the 2004 pre-season draft where he was snared by Carlton.

Miller last night said he had not spoken to Collingwood about any deals.

He said the No. 2 selection was almost certainly off limits.

"Never say never, but we think it's a very good list this year and we want to get the best junior we can.

"It hasn't been decided, but more the fact we know the top three players are outstanding this year and we'd like to get one of them."

He said the club would consider using one of No. 18 or No. 19 only if a suitable trade was offered.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22483114%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers can lead Judd circus (The Australian)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:25:20 AM »
Tigers can lead Judd circus
Greg Denham | September 26, 2007

RICHMOND could yet become the giant in brokering a deal for the former Eagles captain to play in Melbourne next year.

The Tigers, who have the first "live" choice in the November national draft, said yesterday they had not met Judd, or spoken to his manager Paul Connors, for a week.

Carlton has the only priority pick before the draft, followed by Richmond, but Blues chief executive Greg Swann has reiterated several times since Judd quit West Coast last Sunday week that the first selection was reserved for teenage ruckman Matthew Kreuzer.

Swann has ruled out trading Carlton's first pick, but is hopeful a deal can be struck around the third draft selection, which also belongs to the Blues.

Despite Richmond's appeal to West Coast because of its draft position, the Tigers have not been sounded out by the Judd camp, which has so far spoken at length to Carlton, Melbourne, Essendon and Collingwood.

But Connors conceded that the Tigers could become very big players late in trade week next month should negotiations break down between the club or clubs Judd chooses, and the Eagles.

The Tigers also have the advantage of the first selection of the best out-of-contract player in the December pre-season draft.

Richmond football director Greg Miller said yesterday Richmond was "not in the race" due to a youth program responsibility as well as having a tight budget.

"We've got plenty of room in the salary cap, but we're not keen to give up pick two," Miller said.

However, he would not nominate the Tigers' draft strategy.

"We've got a lot to consider, we need to weigh up what's best for the club and it may not be in our best interest to go for Chris Judd," Miller said.

Miller scoffed at suggestions from other clubs and Judd's management that the Tigers could be the wild-card of trade week.

"I spoke to Paul Connors last week to get some feeling for the situation, but I haven't spoken to him since," Miller said.

"Even if things fall over with the other clubs, we could still knock back Judd.

"The Nick Stevens situation was a rarity and I think the other clubs will work it out."

At the end of 2003, Stevens was disenchanted with Port Adelaide and requested to be traded to Collingwood.

The Power was not satisfied with the Magpies' offer of compensation, and opted to let him go into the pre-season draft (to Carlton) for nothing.

"If all things fail, then we'd look at him in the pre-season draft," Miller said.

However, Richmond president Gary March hinted that the Tigers would leave their options open for Judd next month.

"He's not our strong play at the moment," March said. "We're not really in the race, but we've not closed the door either. If things go pear-shaped elsewhere, we'll be interested."

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said the Eagles needed several options from Judd.

"If it's only one option, one club, that could make it extremely tough for us to assist him," Nisbett said.

"It's not a matter of what we want, it's a matter of what people are prepared to trade for the best player in the country."

Nisbett said the conjecture remains hypothetical. "Carlton says they won't deal with the first pick, and Richmond says they're reluctant to use the second selection for Judd," Nisbett said. "I don't believe everything is set in concrete."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22482638-5012432,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers to keep No. 2 pick - Miller / Tigers can lead Judd circus
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:49:21 AM »
I'll be happy if Miller sticks to his word with our first 3 picks. Keep developing our own.

If picks 2, 18 and 19 are to be kept for youth then that may mean we'll offer pick 35 or a player for Morton if we go down that path. No mention of us offloading players.

We're playing this nicely as far as Judd goes. Waiting for the other clubs to show their hand while we just sit and cross our arms because it isn't in our interests to help trades get through.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »
something tells me we will trade pick 2 for judd at the very last minute.

i know miller has said we wont trade pick 2, but seriously, no one who supports teh tigers would be upset if we gave up pick 2 for judd. i know cotchin or morton or ??? may end up being fine players, but they will never ever be a judd

we are deep in this and i feel we may trade pick 2 for judd. i wouldnt be upset if we did

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »

i know miller has said we wont trade pick 2, but seriously, no one who supports teh tigers would be upset if we gave up pick 2 for judd. i know cotchin or morton or ??? may end up being fine players, but they will never ever be a judd

we are deep in this and i feel we may trade pick 2 for judd. i wouldnt be upset if we did

Hawthorn St Kilda and even West Coast didn't know Judd was going to be as good as he is when they sat down to do the draft. But just on probability you are right.

I would only trade the #2 for either Judd himself or for at least two young players who are already in the system and were taken high in past drafts ie first riound draft picks or early 2nd round. Otherwise see what Cotchin or Morton can be

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »
I can't see the Eagles accepting only pick 2 in exchange for Judd.

There's claims on BF that Miller met Judd at a Ivanhoe cafe today. Funny if it was true.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
It'd be silly for Judd to not talk to us, there is a slight chance he could slip to us in the PSD.

Hopefully (if true) Miller was in his ear saying 'Why look after the Eagles, slip through to the PSD, we'll get Cotchin at number 2 and the building blocks are in place for a rise up the ladder.'
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »
It'd be silly for Judd to not talk to us, there is a slight chance he could slip to us in the PSD.

Hopefully (if true) Miller was in his ear saying 'Why look after the Eagles, slip through to the PSD, we'll get Cotchin at number 2 and the building blocks are in place for a rise up the ladder.'
Judd, Foley, Lids, Blingers, Cogs, Cotchin, Polo, Edwards, Browny, Tucky and Jackson all rotating through the midfield. Tucky would be a second tier midfielder and Sugar would move out to a flank. We can dream  :pray.

Miller: Hey Chris, I can get Clinton to help you set up a nice property portfolio on the Mornington peninsula to look after you post footy. Sounds better than working with cardboard doesn't it  ;D.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »

Judd, Foley, Lids, Blingers, Cogs, Cotchin, Polo, Edwards, Browny, Tucky and Jackson all rotating through the midfield. Tucky would be a second tier midfielder and Sugar would move out to a flank. We can dream  :pray.

Miller: Hey Chris, I can get Clinton to help you set up a nice property portfolio on the Mornington peninsula to look after you post footy. Sounds better than working with cardboard doesn't it  ;D.

why dont u all just forget about cogs.
Dud thru injury

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »

why dont u all just forget about cogs.
Dud thru injury
It's all just being optimistic. Cogs probably has a better chance of coming back than seeing Judd come to Richmond.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »
COGS PLEASE...

i agree he is a dud thru injury and sugar on a flank. r u kidding. he shouldnt even be wearing the yellow and black.

we should dump him at once as captain and give that to bowden, foley or delledio
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 06:54:40 PM »

Just thinking about this a bit more it wouldn't surprise me if Miller did this and chucked in pick 19 too to get the deal done. The spiel we would get would be if we had won one more game this year we wouldn't have got this extra pick anyway so effectively we get Judd for pick 2 and keep a top 20 pick yet the Eagles get the two picks they were after and screw the Pies at the same time. Now it's not what I would do and Miller may not do it either but I won't be surprised if Miller did go through with that trade.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »

Just thinking about this a bit more it wouldn't surprise me if Miller did this and chucked in pick 19 too to get the deal done. The spiel we would get would be if we had won one more game this year we wouldn't have got this extra pick anyway so effectively we get Judd for pick 2 and keep a top 20 pick yet the Eagles get the two picks they were after and screw the Pies at the same time. Now it's not what I would do and Miller may not do it either but I won't be surprised if Miller did go through with that trade.

if it happened , we really would not be upset because judd would be in black and yellow. we would be celebrating with joy and not worying about what we gave up, esp if we picked up say a mclean in the psd, imagine that!

we could say , sure we gave up pick 2 and 18, but we gained judd and mclean

i could live with that

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 09:29:33 PM »

if it happened , we really would not be upset because judd would be in black and yellow. we would be celebrating with joy and not worying about what we gave up, esp if we picked up say a mclean in the psd, imagine that!

we could say , sure we gave up pick 2 and 18, but we gained judd and mclean

i could live with that
Yep you would do that for a 24 and 21 year old as it still fits in with our long term plans and fills a need. We'd still have pick 19 which we could try to upgrade too.

It's interesting that on the net it's been said McLean is in our sights and has been for a while yet no mention of McLean  in the media. Usually the journos print stuff they read on these forums.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 12:05:37 AM »
gotta know when to hold them and when to fold them, GM sitting as tight as you know what ATM he has never had such a good hand with whats unfolding, oops my mistake forgot 2004.