Author Topic: Anything but finals is a failure: Wallace  (Read 2013 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Anything but finals is a failure: Wallace
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »
Anything but finals is a failure: Wallace
6:26 PM Fri 2 November, 2007
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his side will have no excuses next season as it pushes for a return to finals football after a forgettable 2007.

Speaking on another big day for the Tigers – when the club announced Australian retail giant Dick Smith Electronics as a co-major partner for the next two years – Wallace said 2008 was coming together nicely for the club that struggled to win just three matches this year.

Wallace said after battling for “continuity” in 2007, a healthier list heading into the summer months would put the Tigers on a more even footing with their rivals.

“We didn’t have our rucks in place for any stage of the year, we had Nathan Brown who struggled with injury right throughout the year … we’re absolutely 100 per cent fit and well now,” Wallace said.

“I just think going into a new year, this time around, we’ll have Mark Coughlan back at 100 per cent fitness, [so] there isn’t any excuses for us. We’re right to go.”

Wallace said players such as Will Thursfield and Chris Newman, who have battled injury in the past 12 months, will be all the better for another pre-season under their belt and injury-free miles in their legs.

At a time when fans are buoyed by trade outcomes and draft selections, Wallace was hesitant to put any burden of expectation on his club but said the Tigers – like all AFL clubs – were striving for the ultimate success.

“Every side in this competition should be wanting to play finals,” he said.

“There shouldn’t be a side in the competition that says at any stage they’re going through a re-building phase.

“You should always be aiming for a premiership at the same time as you’re re-building - the whole time.

“So we will be like every other side in the competition. Anything less than playing finals will be a failure. So if you’re not putting that as your aim then I think you’re lowering the bar.”

In a wide-ranging press conference, Wallace was also quizzed on his own playing list and whether the Tigers would be interested in any of the currently-homeless big names, including Lance Whitnall, Ashley Sampi and Ben Cousins.

The Richmond coach said his club was most interested in players “24 years or under” although he didn’t completely dismiss any player out of hand.

When asked on Cousins, he replied:

“Is he available, I thought he was on an opposition list?”

He later added, “I’m not into ifs, buts or maybes”.

As for the NAB AFL National Draft later this month, Wallace said Richmond would consider drafting Western Australian youngster Cale Morton – which would reunite the three brothers in Tigers colours – however not at the expense of getting the best talent on offer.

“We’ve got selection two, we don’t know what Carlton will do … we’ll sit back, let them make their decision and take the next-best player available,” he said.

“I think, always when you’re talking about your first selection, you can’t be position-specific.

“If the right bloke’s there that you want for a certain position, well we’ll go after him, but if the best player in the nation is there and you’re after something else, then I don’t think you’re going to go for the 10th-best player.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=53003

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
Re: Anything but finals is a failure: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »
Terry must be pumped, he probably feels as though it could be the best lead up to a season in his coaching career.  "No excuses", is on the money, the players will be required to lift and at least display some intestinal fortitude, on the clubs centenary year.  Terry also says that he's interested in, "Players 24 years or younger", I'm happy with that, I just hope he has learnt from his past mistakes, e.g Graham, Kingsley. 

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
No doubt it is good looking at younger players, but we also will need, IMO, another ruck option as an older player/pick in either the ND or PSD, and at least 1 more developmental in the rookie draft a la Graham.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
i try and defend terry but geewhiz how about you shut your trap and improve the team on field rather than waste your breath with the media

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »
i try and defend terry but geewhiz how about you shut your trap and improve the team on field rather than waste your breath with the media

Exactly if we are 2-9 at half way there will be no excuses for the wolves at his door.
Just shut up and coach TW. That's what you are paid to do not sit there and talk about what we the fans or the media want to hear or just to put your bronzed head in front of a camera. Keep your objectives in house fire up the boys and make sure they ram Judds head into the centre wicket in round 1 and take it from there. Finals are made in March through to August and won in September not in the week leading up to the Melbourne Cup.
Although this current deal with DSE leading up to the week membership renewals will be sent out does provide some sort of positive in a marketing sense without Terry having to put his spiel on it.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:52:17 AM »
if u r gonna talk, the talk........then walk the walk

the rfc has a long history of talking the talk, but never walking the walk

time to get johnny out of the grog cabinet and start walking

blx

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
in regards to media interviews and terry well hes damned if he does, damned if he doesnt i suppose.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »

god imagine if he came out and said "well we are crap and we will finish in the bottom 4"...the supporters, the sponsors, will be screaming blue murder he has a responsibility to sell the club.

im sure the membership department wouldnt want him to come out with something like the above quote it would make their job much harder than what it is.

damned if do damned if you dont..

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »

I tend to agee with your statement, to a degree.  Do you really think the club has gone out there over the last two decades twiddling their thumbs on the field deliberately playing poohouse?  There has been many other factors contributing to our poor sucess. In regards to talking the talk, I agree, Terry is a spin doctor an expert in the communication department  ;).  Would you rather have Spud being the front man talking up the club?  It still makes me gringe remembering Spuds lingo.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:57:25 PM »

Would you rather have Spud being the front man talking up the club?  It still makes me gringe remembering Spuds lingo.

You've got a valid point there 3121. I'm just as amazed he is in the media now.

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 02:12:47 PM »

Would you rather have Spud being the front man talking up the club?  It still makes me gringe remembering Spuds lingo.

You've got a valid point there 3121. I'm just as amazed he is in the media now.

Yes, it is interesting he is in the media, but Spud is much calmer these days and not under the pump as when he was coach with us, and quite frankly is a well liked individual by the AFL fraternity.

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
Considering we'll be lucky to rack up 6 or 7 wins for the season Id suggest this stuff isnt helpful. We have a bottom 4 side and the truth is we need to get access to the first 2 picks in the national draft next season if we can.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »
Plough like all coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. However Plough should have just said it's only the start of preseason and that's our only focus at the moment. Nothing wrong with the cliche one week at a time in our position even if the media think it boring. Even so his comments weren't that bad and just stating the obvious that all clubs aim to make the finals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
i understand he has a job to sell the club as well but for f sake the best way of doing that is by playing well on field

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 01:24:04 AM »
Didn't Sugar trot out something similar last off season?
Yawn.. :sleep