Author Topic: morton is the man  (Read 3040 times)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
morton is the man
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »
The club is very tight lipped on this, but n my opinion cale morton should be the player we pick at number 2.

He is a unique blend of height, speed skill and football smarts.

Very rare, and a nightmare to match up on.

Put 10kg on his bottom aged frame and I think we will all be licking our lips at his sublime skills for the next 15 years.

Cotchin is a sublime forward pocket in the N Brown, A Didak style, but, he has a history of leg injures, and has never shown an ability to play as a genuine midfielder.

Taking morton will also open up the draft for us in that if a genuine midfileder slips to 18, we can take him, this would not be the case if we took cotch at 2, It would mean we would have to take a tall at 18, nomatter what.

The other bonus is that it will inspire his bro mitch to better things. Mitch has the ability to be an afl champion, superb skills, great pace, and goal sense. Perhaps wathcing his bro get a game as an 18 yr old, may inspire mitch to put in the work required to go the next level.

blx

Re: morton is the man
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »
you put forward some compelling arguments blaisee.

Theres also the counteractive sibling effect too.

Cotchin is also bottom age and could still become an effective midfielder yet.

I agree though Morton is looking more and more like the man to get.

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
Yeh great post! :clapping

Morton is a class player and i think could be an extremely good player in the Adam Goodes mould.
Cale has the height that we desperatly need while also having the skills of a midfielder.

Trent Cotchin will be very very good player IMO but i believe Cale Morton is the player we should be going for.
If im not mistaking it has been reported over in the West that if Cale ends up in Melbourne at either the Tigers or Demons that the family will pack up and move over with him, therefore cancelling out the "go home" factor!

With all 3 boys in Melbourne it can only be good for the family,and the boys should really take that out onto the Field and enjoy thier footy.

I hope all goes well for Mitch and hopefully Cale if he ends up at the Tiges, and who knows....maybe during next years trade period we could see Jarryd Morton join his brothers at the tiges as he is out of contract with the Hawks.
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:03:18 PM »
Those 10kgs are a big if though. How many times have we said with our players that if they could add on X kilograms they could be anything yet it never happens. It's not that Morton is a KPP or a big mobile forward like Richo or Buddy either. Morton is a tall outside midfielder at 192cm, 79kg. If you want a guaranteed inside midfielder then Masten is the one you chase after.

As for Cotchin, his skills are sublime on both sides of the body, he's footy smart and he's ready to go - 184cm, 81kg. Yes there are question marks about him being a genuine midfielder because of his carnival form where he was carrying a shoulder niggle but we all remember the last Victorian kid who was overlooked by two clubs due to injury concerns leaving West Coast to pick him up ;). At worst if he ends up being a Browny I think we could live with that. Nothing wrong with drafting a true A-grade matchwinner  :thumbsup.

Having said all that I think you're right blaisee in saying we'll go for Morton. He's the type Wallace and Miller draft.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »
my only real concern is the role he will play. ATM shapes as a play making HBF but i am of the belief that Cass will do an admirable job when he gets his body right.

could do a birchall and become a tall mid. Certainly has the skill and mobility to do so. Also with his height and athleticism could be the second coming of Nick Riewoldt at CHF. However these are big ifs and i have concerns like MT about skinny goods putting meat on to their bones  :-\

anyways for me it is flip a coin. cotchin or morton would work out fine, and if masten/mcevoy or rance dropped to 18 i wouldn't give a f about who we take at 2

richmondrules

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »
I feel good about either player.

The one thing that seems clear is that with Cotchin you seem to know what you are getting. Morton is a bit like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates. Cotchin is a safe bet. Morton could be phenomenal. Both will end up good players.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
Those 10kgs are a big if though. How many times have we said with our players that if they could add on X kilograms they could be anything yet it never happens. It's not that Morton is a KPP or a big mobile forward like Richo or Buddy either. Morton is a tall outside midfielder at 192cm, 79kg. If you want a guaranteed inside midfielder then Masten is the one you chase after.

Sage words.

In saying that I will be happy with either at this stage.
only time will tell as to who ends up being the better player.

There are some whispers around that we might get Kreuzer yet..

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:41:15 PM »
kruezer will be a blue

cale morton is the one to get

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
Yep Kreuzer will be a Blue. Ratten couldn't keep away from him at the draft camp. It was like the whispers that we weren't necessarily going to select Lids at No.1 yet all along we had him at #1 even though we didn't tell him until the night before the draft.

As for who'll be the best player from this draft, we won't fully know that until at least 2010-12.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »
Why tank from round 11 onwards when you are 4-7 to finish 4-18 and then not take Kreuzer. He is going to Carlton no doubt.
When Juddscum had his press conference to announce his move to Carlscum the smug look on Rottens face was something that made my blood boil. I expect a similar look come November 24 on Rottens face when the Scum parade Kreuzer as the no 1 pick. Kernahan with his knife collection and Pratt with his brown paper bags as well as Demetriou with his everything is allright policy except if your initials are BC have seen this materialise nicely for them right before their eyes.  That's why I would love to see us beat the Scum in round 1 next year just for the moral victory we deserve as true believers and downright hatred for that awful cheating stealing manipulating disgusting footy club.
As for Morton being the one coming as pick 2. The more that time has passed since the trade week the more and more I have thought that he would be coming, after all we did pick up Mitch. Good luck to him and all our recruits whoever they may be.

richmondrules

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:58:53 AM »
... As for Morton being the one coming as pick 2. The more that time has passed since the trade week the more and more I have thought that he would be coming, after all we did pick up Mitch. ...

The more I think about it, the more I feel Cale is the sort of player our football staff look for. Even so, I really don't think getting Mitch has anything to do with the decision. I would actually go so far as to say I hope it doesn't since I really hope we picked Mitch in his own right and I seriously hope we have a gun in the making. I would be really annoyed if we wasted pick 35 in the draft just to secure one player that we can have anyway. As I am not a mind reader, and cannot tell the absolute reasoning behind these decisions, I do not consider getting Mitch as part of any Cale deal since it makes little sense to me. Hope Mitch has a bit more pride in himself and his abilities anyway.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:11:52 AM »
... As for Morton being the one coming as pick 2. The more that time has passed since the trade week the more and more I have thought that he would be coming, after all we did pick up Mitch. ...

The more I think about it, the more I feel Cale is the sort of player our football staff look for. Even so, I really don't think getting Mitch has anything to do with the decision. I would actually go so far as to say I hope it doesn't since I really hope we picked Mitch in his own right and I seriously hope we have a gun in the making. I would be really annoyed if we wasted pick 35 in the draft just to secure one player that we can have anyway. As I am not a mind reader, and cannot tell the absolute reasoning behind these decisions, I do not consider getting Mitch as part of any Cale deal since it makes little sense to me. Hope Mitch has a bit more pride in himself and his abilities anyway.
If all 3 brothers end up in Melbourne then the parents will move here too apparently.

richmondrules

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
I heard that too. Perhaps this is the reason. Still hope that Mitch is on our list for football rather than uniting a family. If it pans out it can only be a bonus I suppose. Poor parents, having to go to Hawthorn matches, good reason to stay in WA. Better swap Meyer for Jarrad :rollin

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
I heard that too. Perhaps this is the reason. Still hope that Mitch is on our list for football rather than uniting a family. If it pans out it can only be a bonus I suppose. Poor parents, having to go to Hawthorn matches, good reason to stay in WA. Better swap Meyer for Jarrad :rollin

we tried, they said no, they wouldnt give us tuck either >:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
I heard that too. Perhaps this is the reason. Still hope that Mitch is on our list for football rather than uniting a family. If it pans out it can only be a bonus I suppose.
I would be annoyed too if Mitch is on our list for alternative reasons. Spots on our list aren't there to play happy families. Let's hope he lives up to his junior reputation and makes a name for himself.

we tried, they said no, they wouldnt give us tuck either >:(
The Hawks won't let another Tuck go.