Author Topic: George Grill Ya Fish  (Read 3688 times)

Moi

George Grill Ya Fish
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »
Surprised his passing went relatively unmentioned over here.  A bit of a legend in the West.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/veteran-broadcaster-dies/2007/11/06/1194321852341.html

Veteran Perth sports broadcaster George Grljusich has died today after being diagnosed with lung cancer last month. He was 68.

Grljusich started his 47-year media career with ABC Radio after a football career with South Fremantle.

Known for his fierce parochial streak, Grljusich devoted most of his career to covering the AFL and WAFL leagues.

Grljusich was inducted into the West Australian Football Hall of Fame after he announced his illness.

A testimonial dinner was scheduled for November 14 at Fremantle Oval.

Grljusich also covered six Olympic Games and 10 Commonwealth Games in his long broadcasting career.

Last month he retired from an 11-year stint with 3AW-affiliate 6PR after being diagnosed with cancer.

In this final broadcast Grljusich told audiences he found out he had terminal cancer after being diagnosed with pneumonia.

"The news was devastating to me in one sense, from the point of those that I leave behind," Grljusich said at the time.

"I am at peace with the world, I have faith, I am not one of these people that believe there will be 40 virgins and people with guitars waiting for me in paradise, but I believe in a maker."

Grljusich is survived by widow Judy and daughters Jane and Caroline.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: George Grill Ya Fish
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:14 PM »
Surprised his passing went relatively unmentioned over here.  A bit of a legend in the West.
Probably Grljusich wasn't so well known in Victoria.

RIP.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: George Grill Ya Fish
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »
Must have been sick for a while if he died so soon after being diagnosed.  :(
RIP George.

(I hadn't seen his surname written before. Thought I'd heard it pronounced Gorillash!t).

Was worried I was being asked a question when I saw the thread heading.  :-[
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott