Author Topic: KB to return to Punt Road  (Read 1193 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
KB to return to Punt Road
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »
KB to return to Punt Road
David Lowden | Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Richmond's legendary rover and former coach, Kevin Bartlett, has agreed to end the longest self imposed exile in football.

Bartlett confirmed to wwos.com.au that he has not stepped foot inside the Punt Road oval, home to Richmond's headquarters and training ground, since he was sacked by the club as senior coach in 1991.

I've had no reason to," Mr Bartlett said. "I don't think it's any big deal."

The reason it is a big deal is Kevin Bartlett is one of the greatest players the game has seen. Until now, For 16 years, the Tigers have not been able to convince one of their living legends to come home.

He played what was, at the time, a league record 403 senior games (later surpassed by Hawthorn's Michael Tuck with 426 matches). He won the Norm Smith medal in 1980, awarded to the best player in the Grand Final, and is one of only two players to be a member of five Richmond premiership teams (the other is Francis Bourke).

He represented Victoria twenty times and was captain in 1980. Perhaps the only honour which alluded Bartlet was the Brownlow medal, he was runner-up in 1977.

In 2002, he was named as a member of Richmond's Hall of Fame but refused to accept the honour in person, his son Rhett, collected it on behalf of his father.

Bartlett coached the Tigers from 1988 to 1991. When he was shown the door as coach in 1991, Bartlett famously declared he would not return to the club while anyone involved in his demise remained there.

As far as anyone can work out, the last of those left long ago. However, it wasn't until March of this year, that Bartlett attended his first official club function at a Melbourne hotel.

Next week, Bartlett will end his exile by stepping foot inside Punt Road oval, to launch a book on the history of the Richmond Football Club which celebrates its centenary next year, written by Rhett Bartlett, the same son who had to represent his father at the Hall Of Fame induction five years earlier.

Asked if thought he would be apprehensive when the time came to return, Bartlett dismissed the idea out of hand, "No No, no aprehension whatsoever, I mean I was there for 27 years so I think I know the place pretty well."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=322860

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: KB to return to Punt Road
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
What's the big deal?!  ??? KB was already back after attending the B&F and club functions.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
What's the big deal?!  ??? KB was already back after attending the B&F and club functions.

Slow news day for Ch9  after ambushing Benny Cousins ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »

Slow news day for Ch9  after ambushing Benny Cousins ;D
Hutchy hiding in KB's old comb-over?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Hutchy hiding in KB's old comb-over?

No ...in the industrial waste bins at SEN ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
There's a book to be sold, nothing to do with Richmond.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:48:26 AM »
As another sign of a new era, Tiger legend Kevin Bartlett has returned to the club after 16 years.

When he was sacked as coach in 1991, Bartlett vowed never to return, but yesterday he returned for the launch of a book about Richmond, written by his son Rhett.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22806080-2862,00.html

Lazy journos  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
KB returns to Tigerland (RFC)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 12:59:35 PM »
KB returns to Tigerland
5:44 PM Thu 22 November, 2007
By Ben Broad
richmondfc.com.au

MATTHEW Richardson, Andrew Raines and a couple of other current-day Tigers were present, but perhaps Kevin Bartlett wished he was again coaching and addressing the entire Richmond playing list on his return to Punt Road.

Speaking at the launch of a book detailing the club’s history and written by his son, Rhett, KB spoke with all the passion of a senior coach.

Rhett Bartlett’s history of one of Australia’s most famous clubs, The Tigers – A Century of League Football, was launched in the Punt Road gymnasium, and the author’s father – who played in five premierships in the yellow and black – said he was thrilled to be back after 16 years away from the club.

Bartlett, who had not returned to the club since being fired as senior coach by then president Neville Crowe, said it was “very nice to come home”.

“But when I drove in today, my parking spot was gone!” he joked.

Rhett Bartlett has spent eight years interviewing past and current players to catalogue the Tigers’ story, with the book timed to be released in 2008, when Richmond celebrates its 100th year.

While the younger Bartlett showed his own sense of humour at the launch, it was his father’s obvious passion and sense of story-telling that had those present hanging on every word – even if he later joked that he had divulged most of the contents of the book throughout his 25-minute speech.

KB shared some of his favourite stories from Richmond – including how he first walked into the very rooms in which he was speaking as a wide-eyed 14-year-old in the hope of joining training with the under-17 side.

He also spoke of the Tigers’ famous spirit.

“That’s why Richmond is such a famous club, it’s got so many great identities and it’s got a great history,”Bartlett said.

“Struggletown here in the 1920s … blue-collar workers in Richmond, poor families, a tribal existence.

“Go up the road up here, you have Collingwood and you have Carlton, but it was the tribal existence here at Struggletown at Richmond that Richmond was born from.”

Bartlett, now a prominent media commentator, would no doubt like to see a few more players like former teammate Roger Dean taking the field for the Tigers.

“He is probably the toughest player that’s ever played for the Richmond Football Club,” Bartlett said.

“He is the most quietly spoken person you could imagine but, like idiot, when he put on the Richmond jumper with the famous number 3 on his back, he became a lunatic,” he said.

“He led us to the 1969 premiership. He led us down the race and we would follow Roger Dean because of what he stood for. He stood for the spirit of the Richmond Football Club.”

Bartlett said he was fortunate to arrive at the start of Richmond’s “golden era”, but said what made the club great was the people involved, not the trophies in the cabinet.

The Tigers – A Century of League Football is an oral account of the Tigers’ history in the VFL/AFL, and Bartlett is proud of his son’s achievement.

“One of the great things about oral history is that not everyone might agree with what’s in there but that’s the way people see it through their eyes,” Bartlett said.

“I think that’s what makes this book so, so unique.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=53479