Author Topic: Tigers off to Craigieburn  (Read 19769 times)

Ramps

Tigers off to Craigieburn
« on: November 22, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »
Craigieburn lol

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22803069-661,00.html

Pity they were asleep at Punt Rd during the Waverley Park development, we could be where Hawthorn is now instead of heading to no mans land out in Craigieburn. Just had a look at google maps to see how to get there lol ... the only thing it didnt say was ... hang a left and end up at the moon.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »
You may find this could be a new home for Coburg with Richmond using it during the summer months for pre-season.

For the record Ramps, Craigieburn and its surrounding areas have exploded over the last few years.

Access to the area via freeways etc is now very good also, it is only approx 30min from the city on a good run.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 06:58:27 PM »
Craigeburn will be getting a new station (and Roxburgh Park) shortly as part of the extension of the Broady line. It's a fast growing area but it's still away from many of our supporters in the south and eastern suburbs.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
Maybe they'll extend with a monorail because trains at left Broady overnight are up on bricks by the morning.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:57:22 PM »
The Craigieburn extension opened up about a month ago MT  ;D

Both stations are fully operational.

I dont believe Richmond will train there very often during the season anyway.

I am in the Northern suburbs so it will be close to me  :thumbsup

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »
I am actually attending the Breakfast next week, i will be able to give a full run down of any announcement about the new development.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 08:44:59 PM »
The Craigieburn extension opened up about a month ago MT  ;D

Both stations are fully operational.
Doh!  Guess who now lives on the other side of town TA :wallywink lol

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »
You may find this could be a new home for Coburg with Richmond using it during the summer months for pre-season.

For the record Ramps, Craigieburn and its surrounding areas have exploded over the last few years.

Access to the area via freeways etc is now very good also, it is only approx 30min from the city on a good run.

The club has to ensure that it doesnt just hand over ownership of the Sth Eastern suburbs to Hawthorn. Craigieburn maybe a good development and it might be a growing area, but the club has to grow its position in the South Eastern suburbs from Ashwood right out past Knox and Wantirna and all areas in between. Thats just my opinion thats all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »
While I agree with that Ramps, we still have the Wantirna Club and our family day at Jells park and training at Punt Rd or Gosch's paddock doesn't do much for promoting ourselves in the Eastern suburbs anyway. If Craigeburn is a bigger training ground with a better surface then it should benefit us on-field which is the best way of holding and gaining fans everywhere.

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »
A Craigieburn development could be good - especially If the club invests in a profitable pub with 90-100 gaming machines in it in the area. I could see it as a decent complete project which would benefit the club going forward, if the club wants to develop that area fair enough, but do it properly, have a training venue, stick coburg on it, have the pub and the machines - thats fair enough, but as a Richmond person, theres no way I want my club peeing up against the wall, the decades of support weve got from the Sth East. We should have gone to war with Hawthorn in the Sth East and we are now behind the eight ball. I dont know if we can establish a "3rds" or "4ths" by aligning with clubs in the South East who play in local comps, but I reckon we should be doing more.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
A Craigieburn development could be good - especially If the club invests in a profitable pub with 90-100 gaming machines in it in the area. I could see it as a decent complete project which would benefit the club going forward, if the club wants to develop that area fair enough, but do it properly, have a training venue, stick coburg on it, have the pub and the machines
Agree Ramps. Given all this needs council approval then I presume we're not just asking for an oval to use. For proper AFL training facilities you need decent changerooms etc plus benefit the local community. At Vic Park the players needed to change under the Sherrin grandstand like they were U10s ::) while at Gosch's paddock they needed to walk from Punt Rd Oval across the railway overpass.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond moving to Craigieburn (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 03:54:07 AM »
Richmond moving to Craigieburn
Herald-Sun |  Sam Edmund | November 23, 2007

THE Saints are heading to Frankston and now the Tigers are eyeing Craigieburn.

Richmond is expected to oversee the development of a top quality ground in Melbourne's outer north for training and practice matches in a move that has thrilled locals.

A lack of access to Punt Rd Oval during cricket season and a club push to become part of the community have prompted the 25km move up the Hume Highway.

An announcement could be made by AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou next Friday when he speaks at a Hume City Council business breakfast.

Richmond will maintain its administration and player facilities at Punt Rd, with its home of nearly 100 years due for a major renovation.

Tigers chief executive Stephen Wright said the plan was about becoming more involved at grassroots level.

"We're looking to grow the Richmond brand in the northern suburbs so we have had discussions about how we can get involved," Mr Wright said.

Hume City mayor Gary Jungwirth, a Richmond fan, was excited at the prospect of the yellow and black preparing for battle in his region.

"I think any growing municipality with so many young families would like to have the opportunity to see top quality sport," Cr Jungwirth said.

"It's absolutely exciting and we're hoping, but there hasn't been a final determination."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22806080-2862,00.html

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers off to Craigieburn
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
We are in the box seat here.

Craigieburn has stuff all in regards to entertainment.

All they have is the sporting club at the golf course.

A new pub/club at the new oval run by us would be a huge revenue source.

In regards to getting council support, as the article says the current mayor is a mad Richmond supporter.

Add to that the new CEO of Hume Council is even more one eyed tigers than the mayor and we should be sweet. :thumbsup :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
And fits in nicely with our tri-affiliation of Richmond-Coburg-Calder.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 07:06:30 PM »
Tigers roar
Hume Star
By Mark Murray
27th November 2007 11:06:08 AM

CRAIGIEBURN is set to be infiltrated by yellow and black as early as next year, with the Richmond Football Club poised to set up a training base in the outer northern suburb.

In a massive fillip for the area, the Tigers are expected to announce the construction of a summer training centre in the Hume municipality.

It also will be used for practice matches, giving the area an AFL presence.

Richmond’s Punt Rd headquarters is overrun by Pura Cup and Premier Cricket commitments in the summer months, which is prompting the innovative push north along the Hume Highway.

Bulla resident and Upper House Liberal MP Bernie Finn, a life-long Richmond supporter, said the news had the city of Hume buzzing.

“Excited is not the word,” Mr Finn said.

“I think it is going to be of enormous benefit to the City of Hume, and Craigieburn in particular, and it is going to bring a lot to our part of Melbourne.

“And for those of us who are life-long Tiger fans and who just love the club, we are beside ourselves with excitement at the moment.”

The move could see AFL superstars such as Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown make Craigieburn their second home in the pre-season.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is expected to confirm the news at a Hume City Council business breakfast on Friday.

Mr Finn agreed it was an innovative idea by the Tigers and said he hoped the City of Hume got behind it, if it became official.

“I have been a Hume resident for a long time now, so to have the Richmond Football Club set up a home away from home in our neck of the woods is incredibly exciting,” Mr Finn said.

“Anybody even taking the slightest interest can see the benefits it is going to bring to everyone involved.

The Tigers won football’s most unwanted prize this season, finishing 16th and collecting the wooden spoon.

Punt Rd will remain the club’s nerve centre, and is also set to undergo a major redevelopment.

“Clubs need a second venue and it’s something we’ve been investigating for a while,” Richmond football director Greg Miller said of the Craigieburn concept.

“It’s a back-up venue, we’re not moving. This will be used for training and practice matches and that sort of thing."