Author Topic: Eureka "blockbuster" match - Tigers vs Roos  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Eureka "blockbuster" match - Tigers vs Roos
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »
Personally I don't have any problem with it at all.  I may not 'connect' with the theme or even the concept of blockbuster matches but it tells me that the club is being pro-active in trying to market and grow itself as an entity and that is just as fundamentally crucial to our long term survival as on-field success.  So many 'supporters' bemoan the fact we aren't one of the fabled "Big 4" yet quickly condemn any club driven initiative.  I say take the offer and run with it - if it fails it costs you nothing, if it succeeds we get more visibility, support and revenue.  Win win.  And anyone who says they wouldn't attend BECAUSE it is a themed blockbuster is either not a true supporter or full of cr@p, .... or both.

:gotigers

Little Jackie

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
Can tell you the Tigers were reluctant to be involved.
Sheedy has pushed the situation

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 11:46:17 PM »
Can tell you the Tigers were reluctant to be involved.
Sheedy has pushed the situation

really and this came from your "independant observer", was speaking to steve wright only last week about this game...lets just say either he was lying to me or your  "independant observer" likes telling porkies to you.

this above comment is a slight on steve wrights character :banghead, someone whom i know quite well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Roos, Richmond to do battle for workers (The Age)
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »
Roos, Richmond to do battle for workers
The Age | March 27, 2008 - 7:12PM

Richmond and North Melbourne have no excuses not to produce a spirited AFL game on Sunday night at the MCG in a match dedicated to Australia's workers.

The Tigers and Kangaroos will contest the inaugural Eureka game, a theme match devised by the AFL's master spruiker Kevin Sheedy and featuring two clubs with strong working-class backgrounds.

Although times have changed to the point where North Melbourne and Richmond are now two of Melbourne's more yuppified suburbs and the launch of the game was held on the 88th floor of the swish Eureka Tower, both clubs predicted spirit would be high.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said he expected North to rebound at full throttle following their 55-point defeat to Essendon last Sunday and that the Tigers had to be ready for it.

"We know that they'll be steeled up and we know the Kangaroos' spirit and we know a little bit about what this game's about," Wallace said.

"The Eureka game's about the spirit of the two football clubs.

"I'm hoping that's on display from both teams. I'd be disappointed that the Kangaroos, because of their result last weekend, they show more spirit than our guys.

"We've got to match them and equal them in that part of the game and then see who wins the game on their natural abilities."

North coach Dean Laidley agreed, saying both sides would be primed for an unflinching contest in recognition of Australia's working classes.

"Both clubs embody the spirit of the Australian worker, particularly where they've come from, their backgrounds and where they've been situated," he said.

"You'd like to think now that this concept's been born, you see that spirit from both clubs and it's a hard, tough, competitive game of football.

"We need to get back to playing that sort of footy this week because we were pretty poor in that area last weekend."

Laidley said his defence would be "steeled" for a big performance to curb the Matthew Richardson-led Richmond forward line, which outgunned Carlton last Thursday night.

The AFL has its share of themed matches and rounds, but Wallace believed the Eureka game could eventually come close in popularity to the Dreamtime game, the annual clash between the Tigers and Essendon which celebrates Aboriginal heritage.

"For the workers of Australia, it's not only looking back on history but it's also an opportunity for celebration of what they do in our society on a day-to-day basis," he said.

"To be able to celebrate that is a great thing for the clubs and it will be up to the clubs to build it."

http://news.theage.com.au/roos-richmond-to-do-battle-for-workers/20080327-21xb.html

Ramps

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:15 AM »
Richmond should be focused on building the Dreamtime vs Essendon, and getting Good Friday vs Carlton. Why are we pee farting around with Norf. ::)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:18 AM »
because miller loves north and he would do whatever he could to help his beloved roos

*just my opinion

Ox

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
should be a good match

Ox

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »
i hope

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
Richmond should be focused on building the Dreamtime vs Essendon, and getting Good Friday vs Carlton. Why are we pee farting around with Norf. ::)
I don't really care who it is.  Bring on a blockbuster each week if we must.  The benefits of increased market exposure, increased gate revenue and heightened big game experience for the players are substantial and I am very happy that we now (finally) have a forward thinking administration capable of achieving this and a club that has a shifting perception in the wider football community that we are indeed worth doing this with.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
Reckon we are good value at $2.25 in what to me should be a very a close game

Roos are a good honest side, but frankly they looked poor last week and uncharacteristically lethargic and lacking in spirit.

Either way I think it will be close.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Sunday twilight games suck but the crowd today was laughable if they want to call this a "blockbuster". 39,000 is dreadful. Not that Tiger fans turned up in their droves but where are these supposedly 30k North members when their club complains about not getting blockbuster games ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
Sunday twilight games suck but the crowd today was laughable if they want to call this a "blockbuster". 39,000 is dreadful. Not that Tiger fans turned up in their droves but where are these supposedly 30k North members when their club complains about not getting blockbuster games ::).

North Melbourne have hardly been a draw card in 83 seasons of AFL football. I find it a slur on our club that we are affilliated with them for a Eureka thing when there were probably no more than 5,000 of their fans at the match tonight. I have said it before and I will say it again characterless footy club that is emotionless and does nothing for me in terms of sympathy for their past current and future plight and their fans carry on like they have all been born from the same monotonous daggy mould. Would rather play working class footy with the Pies as both clubs come from working backgrounds than these beggars from Arden St. Richmond v Pies as Eureka will draw 70K regardless of ladder positions. Even if both us and Roos were top 4 material 60-65K is the best we will get look at 95,96 attendances and that includes a qualifying final :thumbsup.
Sheeds with the help of the AFL sold us short linking us with these homeless begging squatters and sharing our gate receipts. If we play them as away next yr I will make sure I get a 17 game Rich membership so I don't give these uninspiring and unimportant whackos a cent of my hard earned.
A relative of mine a Hawthorn fan went to the Hawks v Roos semi last yr and in a 75K crowd he was adamant there would have been no more than 10K roos fans there with the rest made up of neutrals/ AFL members and Hawk fans. Pull the plug on these NM losers. No wonder they are struggling financially. Do them and us a favour AFL get Dr Phillip Nitschke in the house and euthanase them. If that is morally incorrect then just refer to your year 10 or 11 biology texts and read about Charles Darwin's theory on Natural Selection and how only the strong shall survive.
North no fans
North no money
North very little success
North no facilities
North no character
North no spunk
North no love
North no interest.
North Just Die and never merge or come back. :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
Eureka game shouldnt be a major game for us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:59 AM »
Tell us what you really think of North HT74  :lol

Even if both us and Roos were top 4 material 60-65K is the best we will get look at 95,96 attendances and that includes a qualifying final :thumbsup.
That Monday night game in 95 is the only time I've been excited by a game against the Roos (too young to remember the 74 premiership). You can't manufacture rivalries.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 05:00:35 AM »
39,292. WTF !!1 Less than 40,000. I expected up to 55,000.

Where the hell were the day trippers?