Author Topic: Three Favourite non finals Richmond games of all time.  (Read 1330 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Three Favourite non finals Richmond games of all time.
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »
Well folks we have been in the finals wilderness as we know although some of us were fortunate enough to grow up in an era where we were the benchmark. Just a bit of reminscing on your favourite home and away games games involving the Tigers.

For me the standouts are
Round 17 2001
W Bulldogs 15 10 100
Richmond 15 12 102
The grudge match after Libber knocked out Knights in round 2 that year in a finals like cauldron at the dome on a Friday night. Coming back from 16 points down mid way through the last quarter with Richo's two last quarter goals one from the 50 on the Medallion Club boundary line sublime. The joy at the siren after 4 frantic minutes of Bulldog attacking including a Gaspar mark in the square and a free kick not paid to Browny 15 out after David Bourke ripped his head off his shoulders just added to the drama.

Round 7 2005
Richmond 23 13 151
Carlton    10  6   66

Need I say more. Wasn't the first time I wanted to shoot Matty Lappin after we comprehensively beat them. If it wasn't for his 5 goals we would have won by over 100. In a perfect world we would beat these Scumbuckets by at least this much almost every game.

Round 4 1995
Richmond   21  8  134
Nth Melb    13  7    85

6 goals in 6 minutes to start the match and North never got back into it. Margin ballooned out to 71 points a t 3 quarter time before a couple a cheap goals to the Roos gave the score a somewhat token respectability to them. The game which officially signalled our arrival as a force both on and off the field as 62 000 attended and we beat the pre season premiers and one of the Premiership favourites so comprehensively.

There are more but these 3 were the ones that meant something to me and the club at the time when they happened hence they got a mention. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Three Favourite non finals Richmond games of all time.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »
That Monday night game is one of my favs too HT74. It said we were back from the wilderness after being year after year in the bottom 4 and after the club almost died and that happened with SOS :thumbsup.

R11, 2001 against Carlton.
Richmond  2.4  5.6   8.7   13.10-88   
Carlton       1.3  4.7  6.12   8.13-61   

Just a great game of footy that went goal for goal for most of the match until we broke away in the last 15 mins. Highlights were great snaps for goal from the pocket from Brodders and Knighter and Otto taking a speccy over the pack in the goalsquare.

R3, 1982 vs Essendon
Richmond   4.7   12.14  15.18    25.22-172   
Essendon   6.3    12.9   14.13    16.14-110
Packed 'G and we put the baby bombers to the sword with a 10 goal last quarter after a tight three quarters. A side full of champions taught the young Dons they weren't ready yet. Sadly Essendon were on the way up and we'd be in the wilderness within 12 months after retirements and walkouts  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
The first Dream Time at the 'G game in 2006 on a Saturday night :clapping

The last 10 minutes of that game were magic - it was tight, it was a rollercoaster  :thumbsup

Richo's 200th against Port at the Dome in 2006 IIRC :thumbsup

And chuck in a game against the Pies in 1994 - it was a win that started a mid-season roll for the Tigers (I think we won like 6 out of 8 or something). I remember the first Houlihan coat-hangered Chris Naish (gutless act IMO). That 8 week stretch was just a really exciting time as we hadn't had much success for ages. It was the catalyse for the success of 1995

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline GOOHUC

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
All quality games mentioned above - Rd. 4 vs North probably the pick of the bunch IMO.

Heaps of games in '95 stick in my mind...namely the above, a rainy Friday night vs Adelaide where we trounced them by 40 odd points...40k Tiger fans at the 'G' (bucketed down all day and night), crowd going absolutely bananas from go to wo...

Same year, the draw vs Essendon was a ripper, simply for the lack of personel on the field for the Tiges that game and the unbelievable fight we showed...No Richo, Knighter, Wigney...quite a few others but can't remember now...very depleted side that night...

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:29:15 PM »
One thing that stuck in my mind after the Rich-Essendon drawn game was Sam Newman on the radio after the game claiming we had found a new star full forward in Stephen Jurica  ::)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:50:24 PM »
The first Dream Time at the 'G game in 2006 on a Saturday night :clapping

The last 10 minutes of that game were magic - it was tight, it was a rollercoaster  :thumbsup

Richo's 200th against Port at the Dome in 2006 IIRC :thumbsup

And chuck in a game against the Pies in 1994 - it was a win that started a mid-season roll for the Tigers (I think we won like 6 out of 8 or something). I remember the first Houlihan coat-hangered Chris Naish (gutless act IMO). That 8 week stretch was just a really exciting time as we hadn't had much success for ages. It was the catalyse for the success of 1995

We actually won 6 in a row WP. The Collingwood game was the first on the Queens Birthday Monday we beat them 14 18 102 to 4 12 36.
We pulled up against North on the Sat who were without the suspended Carey who had gotten 3 for whacking Ben Hart. Benny Gale had a stinker but kicked the winning goal from a sublime Maxfield centre at the Punt Rd End. 9 18 72 to 10 7 67.
3 in a row came when Rogo kicked 3 in the last quarter and Tape held the Dees scoreless taking mark after mark in the wet. 11 12 78 to 9 8 62.
My personal fav comes at 4 when we beat the Crows at Footy Park. Against the Breeze the crows were 5 goals to 2 up at qt time but we still went in 17 pts down at half time. We made our surge in the third through some Richo goals an inspired Bond and Maxfield and hung un to win by 7 with the Crows throwing everything at us. Mark Neeld came off the bench to take a mark and kick the sealer.  13 12 90 to 12 11 83.
Our fifth win in a row was against the Dogs. We drew a crowd of 49000 and it was thriller with Benny taking a last gasp mark in defence to cap off a best on ground display as we got over the line. 14 13 97 to 12 22 94.
Our sixth win in a row came at the Gabba where Matthew Knights inspired us to a 15 8 98 to 12 12 84 win.
Our run came to an end the following week in Perth to the Eagles 14 17 101 to 7 11 53.
We went on to beat the Saints and Swans in the following weeks before we lost to Hawthorn where we kicked 11 23 89 we had 17 scoring shots in the second half and the Dawks still outscored us by a point. Richo being the main culprit.
We were robbed by the timekeper against Fitzroy. Hoggy kicked 3 in the first quarter as the Lions led by 30 at quarter time yet when we had the breeze in the second at the Western Oval the quarter went 21 minutes and by then we had reduced the margin to 4 points at half time on our way to a 60 point win. I remember us Footscray Geelong Melbourne and Collingwood were all vying for 4 spots in the 8 and John Northey was not happy with the oversight there as % was going to be important.
Alas consecutive thumpings to Carscum and Geelong cost us our spot in the 8 in the final two weeks.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
All quality games mentioned above - Rd. 4 vs North probably the pick of the bunch IMO.

Heaps of games in '95 stick in my mind...namely the above, a rainy Friday night vs Adelaide where we trounced them by 40 odd points...40k Tiger fans at the 'G' (bucketed down all day and night), crowd going absolutely bananas from go to wo...

Same year, the draw vs Essendon was a ripper, simply for the lack of personel on the field for the Tiges that game and the unbelievable fight we showed...No Richo, Knighter, Wigney...quite a few others but can't remember now...very depleted side that night...

The Adelaide game at the G in 1995 was tight we only won by 14 points 10 12 72 to 9 4 58. I remember Knights had a blinder and Duncan Kellaway kept Riccuito to 1 possession albeit a goal to the Roo but yes there were 40000 in the stands that night. In Round 12 1996 again on a Friday night we thumped the Crows Paul Brodders went beserk in the second quarter and we led by 61 at the main break before easing off to get up  by 46. 19 14 128 to 13 4 82.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 03:04:15 AM »
Round 1, April 1st 1978.  Weightman runs amok, Geoff Raines' hairdo is correct, Mark Lee is the Corporal, Wood's moustache is sublime & the Tigers win by 70-odd points.  Lavish

Round 22 1997, the Tigers have had an average year and once again fall behind the hated CFC boogie man,  but wait there's more, the denial is yet to eventuate, no longer will the Y&B be destined to play at the sump centre of the newly christened OO, cos the Tiger growls and promotes the Geish to mediacrity. 

September 2001, (I know it wasn't supposed to be about finals ... but) Richmond Football Club once again smash the hated scum in a final to take the finals record to a 65% winning ratio.

Once again, the heart is pure and the RFC beat the scum in a final to seni-atone for the 1982's fiasco.

The theme song is delivered with passion and clarity.