Author Topic: Rate a player: Matthew Rogers  (Read 1123 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rate a player: Matthew Rogers
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »

Guernsey No: 4
D.O.B.: 25th November 1973
Height: 185cm
Weight: 90kg

Games: 197
Goals: 163

Position: Forward pocket, midfielder

Best returns:

4 goals vs Bris, R2 1994 (his 2nd game)
4 goals vs Haw R18 1995
23 disposals, 2 goals vs Ess SF 1995
28 disposals, 4 goals vs Fitz R21 1996
20 disposals, 3 goals vs North R20 1997
26 disposals, 3 goals vs Carl R22 1997
27 disposals vs Adel R8 1998
32 disposals vs North R12 1998
4 goals vs Syd R6 2000
5 goals vs Geel R8 2000
4 goals vs St K R20 2000
5 goals vs WCE R5 2001
30 disposals vs Syd R7 2002
29 disposals vs North R11 2002

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Rogers.html

Recruited from: South Adelaide (SA). Pick 37 in the 1992 National draft.
Debut: Round 1, 1994 vs Footscray
Departed RFC:  2004. Last game round 15 vs Essendon

Honours:
Leading club goalkicker 2000 (37 goals)
Brownlow votes: 13
SA state of origin representative

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rate a player: Matthew Rogers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
As a little tacker growing up for some reason I wasnt so much taken by Campbell or Knighta. 

Rogers was number 1 with Richo.  I always asked Dad how he went today if I didnt see the game.

Id emulate ROgers playing kick-to-kick.

Today I still cant remember what got me to like him so much but it probably sealed me to the Tigers from my Saints loving Dad and his Dad.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
Always enjoyed watching Matt play. thought he was super in the semi final in 1995.

I remember he did a super job on that little twirp Milne back in IIIRC 2002
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »
First time I saw Rogers he had number 29 in the Fosters Cup of 1994 against the Saints. Had good skills and a gutsy demeanor. That game went into extra time and we kept the Saints scoreless in extra time whilst piling on 3 2 20 to win. Rogers was influential. I guess first impressions lasted with me.
Won the game against Melbourne in 1994 with 3 goals in the wet in the last quarter.
The two goals in the last quarter in the second semi of 1995.
3 priceless goals against North in a 1 point win in 1997.
Was rewarded with a SA state of origin gig in 1995 in the Teddy Whitten match.
Very underrated player who was versatile could play on smalls like Farmer in the midfield and up forward in both an attacking and a negating role. One of the many players we had recruited from South Australia in that era. All in all a very honest performer who could hold his head high at the end of his career .

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07:17 PM »
I recall back in 93 i think it was and we had drafted both Rogers and Tape(R.I.P) both of whom didnt come over for their first year and stayed in SA to play in the SANFL.

I remember the good reports about both players and myself and a mate from school would call up Doug Vickers and ask him what their situation was and when they were likely to come over to Tigerland.

I remember Doug being very excited about both of them and said to us the "proof was in the pudding and we just had to wait for it to cook"

Although we had some great success in late 94 and all of 95 i am still waiting for the bloody pudding to cook.

Anyway back to the topic, Rogo was a very handy player who had the uncanny knack of doing something freaky. He was a good solid player without being a star though.

My biggest criticism of Rogers used to be that he would be bearing down on an opposition player with the ball and instead of tackling he would always try and bump them  :banghead :banghead

I will however never forget the joy he gave me by kicking those two sealers against the Bombers in 95.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »
Thought he was going to be an absolute gun when he first started.
Never quite lived up to that early promise and ended up a mediocre footballer.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »
Rogers went a year or two too long but in his prime as a small forward he was extremely dangerous and just knew where the goals were. Basically carried our forward line in 2000 when Richo broke his foot early on. He was a solid midfielder IMO but as he entered the twilight of his footy career was prone to the wild panic handgrenade handball.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
Ahhh yes, ole "muppet hands" was a very serviceable player for us and even sometimes a matchwinner kicking vital goals under extreme pressure. I really liked matty for most of his career but as MT said, he probably should have retired a year or two earlier.

retygas

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:10:06 PM »
He should have had his arm held behind his back and made to play to the 300 games. If there was a player out there who deserved to get it, it was him. I was so sad the day he hung up his boots. Still miss the way he played his games of footy.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 04:18:49 AM »
He should have had his arm held behind his back and made to play to the 300 games. If there was a player out there who deserved to get it, it was him. I was so sad the day he hung up his boots. Still miss the way he played his games of footy.

ROFLAMO@ Rogers deserving 300 games. I'm with you Rety, though I think he merited that many as a career Diamond Valley footballer.

Would never have lasted more than about 5 seasons in a better than average team.