Author Topic: Cogs threads [merged]  (Read 2509 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cogs threads [merged]
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
Mark's in the swim
Sunday Herald-Sun
January 06, 2008

MARK Coughlan expects to be ready for Richmond's season opener as he continues to recover from two knee reconstructions.

The Tigers' gun midfielder has not played for 18 months and admits he is starting to feel anxious.

He did a time trial on grass on Friday while his teammates ran the Tan and Saturday he completed the Lorne Pier to Pub 1.2km swim.

"The nerves are starting to come up a bit," Coughlan said. "It will be like playing my first game again.

"Each week is a big step for me and a big step in my confidence. I'm on track to be fully training in a month and I'm hoping to play a pre-season game or two which will then lead into the start of the season.

"Ideally, I'd love to play Round 1, but it's a week by week thing.

"I need to get a few games under my belt. I need to prove myself again.

"I've been out of footy for a while and I'll need a few games to get used to the pace of the game."

Coughlan's enforced break began in Round 12, 2006, when he snapped the anterior cruciate ligament against Hawthorn. Last February he had to have a second operation.

"I will have had 13 months before the start of the season which is more than enough for a knee reconstruction," Coughlan said.

"I'm slowly coming out of all the swimming and bike riding, and cross training-type things and getting more into footy stuff now.

"My preparation has been much better than it would have been coming back last year. I've had a lot of time to get over it."

Coughlan said he couldn't wait to join teammates such as Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley and recruit Trent Cotchin in the midfield group.

The best and fairest winner's return will be welcome news for coach Terry Wallace.

Last year the Tigers were without most of their leaders as Coughlan was joined on the sidelines by Nathan Brown - still recovering from his broken leg - and ruckman Troy Simmonds, who was diagnosed with a blood clot on the lung.

Brown and Simmonds are also back and training well.

But neither was up for the challenge of swimming in yesterday's hot conditions.

Coughlan was joined by Foley, Andrew Raines, Angus Graham, Will Thursfield and Danny Meyer.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23010963-23211,00.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cogs' expects to be ready for round 1
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
IMHO, first and foremost he needs to play some footy. Whether that's just intra-club he needs to to play some contact footy. You can do all the rehab in the world but nothing will give him confidence like running around and actually getting "hit".

Personally, I would not consider him for our first round NAB Cup unless he plays some intra club stuff and I'd play him against Foley
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Cogs expects to be ready for round 1
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »
I hope he wears rubber thongs in the shower otherwise there may not be any intra club or NAB matches.
Seriously, Cogs is like a new recruit all the swimming weights and bike riding mean nothing when you'll get hit hard on the field. Its all in the head for Cogs. Hopefully mentally he is still strong and is not afraid to put his body on the line. I don't expect miracles but if his knee hold up we might start seeing some quality footy from him from about round 8 or 9 onwards.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
i would play Coughlan in our intra-club matches ...

then play the last 3-2 practice/NAB Cup matches ...

we have 2 intra-club matches don't we ???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:12:59 AM »
we have 2 intra-club matches don't we ???
We usually have that probables vs possibles intra-club match a week before our first NAB Cup game. It's probably only a month away too  :o.

I just hope Cogs can get through the year without any mishaps and as WP says get some footy back under his belt.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:49:20 AM »
Mark deserves a change of luck.
Fingers crossed.  :pray

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
Cogs is all class with a capital C. You dont loose that. May be a bit rusty and dusty for a month but come round 1 I expect him to be one of the 1st picked against Carltank. I'm predicting he will have the C beside him name in 2009 .......Coughlan (Capt)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cogs back into the senior side in maybe a fortnight and on track for Round 1
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »
We can't post whole Sportal articles but here's a snippet. For the full article click on the link - http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/coughlan-makes-comeback-43395

"He [Cogs] was able to cope with the increased workload (on the weekend) and we don't see any reason why he won't be able to continue to cope," Armstrong said.

"He played well. He found plenty of the ball as Cogs always does and he pulled up well."

"He won't go to Cairns this week (for the Tigers' practice match against Melbourne) instead he will play in an intra-club game for Coburg."

"He will probably play close to 100 percent of game time in that match and then maybe he might be a chance to return (to the seniors) for week three (of the pre-season)."

The most important news for Tigers fans is Coughlan is firmly on track to be available come Round 1 against Carlton at the MCG on March 20.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Encouraging. 8)

Softly, softly.

bushranger

That is really good to hear as here is a leader to follow. And like it has been said softly softly, with him. Be great to have him back in the side.

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
Cogs in   :cheers
 Johnson out. ;D :thumbsup.
  Cannot wait to see this happen.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
So far everything is going to plan. Fingers crossed  :pray. We miss Cogs' footy smarts in the midfield.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
So far everything is going to plan. Fingers crossed  :pray. We miss Cogs' footy smarts in the midfield.

ditto

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

:-\ :-\ :help :-\

Please explain
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

:-\ :-\ :help :-\

Please explain
Cogs can actually win the footy and dish it out by hand to a teammate running into space rather than backwards to someone flatfooted 2 feet away like most of the mids now  ;).

I still think Cogs' got more fitness to catch up on. He kept up with his group of runners for the whole 200m or 400m but was always at the tail of the group. In fairness he never was one known for pace before he did his two knees.