Author Topic: TAC dumps Collingwood / Pie caught D&D  (Read 3056 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TAC dumps Collingwood / Pie caught D&D
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »
Collingwood loses its TAC sponsorship after new drink-drive charge
Reuters
January 09, 2008 01:13pm

BREAKING NEWS: COLLINGWOOD has lost its lucractive TAC sponsorship after another player was caught drink driving.

Rookie Sharrod Wellingham was charged with driving while over the limit at the weekend.

A club statement just issued says it had decided to "resign from our community partnership with the Transport Accident Commission".

Pies president Eddie McGuire will discuss the latest transgression at a press conference this afternoon.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23027446-661,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: TAC dumps Collingwood / Pie caught D&D
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
I wonder if Eddie will do a song and dance about this like he did with us on the footy show when Sarge caused us to lose the TAC sponsorship. Wishful thinking  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
I wonder if Eddie will do a song and dance about this like he did with us on the footy show when Sarge caused us to lose the TAC sponsorship. Wishful thinking  ::).

Course he will, just as soon as that flying pig lands.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
A COLLINGWOOD rookie caught drink driving has cost the club $500,000 in lucrative TAC sponsorship.

Junior Sharrod Wellingham, 19, was charged with driving while over the limit at the weekend in Lorne.

It is understood the TAC deal was worth $1.2 million over three years and was in its final year.

A shamed Wellingham - who blew 0.13 - claimed at a media conference at the Lexus Centre he was caught while moving a parked car.

Hawthorn Football Club Chief Executive, Ian Robson, confirmed this afternoon that two Hawthorn players ruckman Simon Taylor and forward Lance Franklin "were present in a vehicle where the driver was booked".

Wellingham has been fined $5000 by the club.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23027446-661,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
Need 3 people to move a parked car do we?   :whistle

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »

Exactly MT. :clapping

I remember Browny was on the show that night and Eddie was going on and on about how irresponsible it was and we deserved it and how unfortunantely earlier that week Ray Shaw's daughter was run over by a drunk driver and people like that should be made examples of.

Hello, this from a club who immortalised Darren Millane who only played 127 games for the club before his untimely death. Can anyone please tell me how he died as the accident was so long ago and I forgot? Double standards isn't it?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »

Hawthorn Football Club Chief Executive, Ian Robson, confirmed this afternoon that two Hawthorn players ruckman Simon Taylor and forward Lance Franklin "were present in a vehicle where the driver was booked".

:o :o Well I am shocked that Buddy Franklin was one of the representatvies of the HFC ;D

Seriously I am  :jump

:nope

:eyebrow :eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
I was just moving a parked car to avoid a parking fine - it wasn't a good day because earlier my dog ate my homework.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
According to Ed in today's Herald-Sun, Collingwood are great guys and they cut the sponsorship - not the TAC.  :cheers

Good old Ed.  ;D Collingwood could have a team full of serial killers and I reckon he'd still manage to put a spin on it about how morally good the club are.  :sleep

Frustrated Magpies president Eddie McGuire said the club was left with no choice but to end its $500,000-a-year partnership with the TAC.

But he denied the club had a culture of excessive drinking.

"We have supported the launch of the Wipe Off 5 campaign and other campaigns focusing on drink-driving, speeding, fatigue, and inexperience," McGuire said.

"It is therefore with regret that we have made this decision."

"Given our position as a leader in promoting road safety messages in the community, however, we feel it is the right thing to do," McGuire said.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?action=post;topic=6377.0;num_replies=7
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »

Hello, this from a club who immortalised Darren Millane who only played 127 games for the club before his untimely death. Can anyone please tell me how he died as the accident was so long ago and I forgot? Double standards isn't it?
No problem.

He was driving home from the tunnel night club,absolutely wacked,as he did and had done since his
junior days in Dandy.

Corect meif i'm wrong but didn't eddi hook all the boys up at the tunnel with his media connections at the time?

Anyway,that night Milane drove into a parked truck.
Thankfully there were no other fatalities.

It sickens me to remember eddi clearly using the death of the young girl as re-enforcement
for his stance on the Schulz issue,not to mention his worming a TAC deal shortly there-after.

The guy is an hole.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »
Millane had a whopping blood alcohol reading of 0.322.
On October 7, 1991, Millane was killed in a car crash while intoxicated. On the early morning of the day, he was driving on Queens Road, near Albert Park Lake, before he clipped a semi-trailer and rolled his car, being killed instantly. The autopsy revealed his blood alcohol content was .322 — well over the legal drinking limit of 0.05. [1] He was on his way to his Noble Park home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Millane#Millane.27s_death

According to Ed in today's Herald-Sun, Collingwood are great guys and they cut the sponsorship - not the TAC.  :cheers
LOL like the Pies had a choice   :nope

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
Need 3 people to move a parked car do we?   :whistle

Hmm.
You stick to your story lad.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
Collingwood & Eddie - boo hoo hoo :'( :'( :nopity :stupid

retygas

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
I really feel sorry for Eddie and the Pie boys. I think that it couldn't of happened to a better mob even if I picked them myself. Like it has been said how many does it need to move a car. Wonder if they tried to do the breath test on the exhaust as this is how stupid they have come across. And yes lets see the mighty Eddie eat his words. Oh thats right he told them to take it from them, what a nice boy. Yer right if he didn't do it they were gunna ripped the rug from under them and make it a bigger story. Well now we can laugh at them. Instead of Stone the Crows lets Shot the Magpies.