Author Topic: Your Away Game Adventures  (Read 1795 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Your Away Game Adventures
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
What's been some of your favourite/non-favourite footy moments and experiences at away games either in the past at the old suburban grounds or more recently travelling interstate to sit amongst the foreign ferals?

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Your Away Game Adventures
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
Happiest feeling at an away game.

Rd 17 2001 away to the Dogs at the Dome. win by 2 points. The relief on my face and the joy in we were going to the finals were palpable for thae whole weekend.

Rd 22 1997 away to Carlscum at Optus Oval 7 goals down in the second quarter to win by 2 points and deny them a finals spot to boot. Satisfaction guaranteed at enemy territory.

It was an away game even though it was at MCG Round 6 06
Dreamtime 2006 another two point result thanks to JON and Ray Hall kicking points to break the deadlock and consign the Dons to 5 losses in a row and square our season .

Season 2001 Round 4
Away game against the Skunks 5 goals up at 3 qt time Pies get to within a point only for Brodders to come off the bench and kick 2 goals to get us home.

This was definentely an away game for those of us fortunate to go. Hird Sheeds match last year. Couldn't even sit in my seats with the lads in the Olympic. Had to pre buy seats and sat in the Members and just about everyone there was an Essendon fan. The satisfaction at the end of the game knowing we were on the way up they were on the way down and them having to endure humble pie and Tiger arrogance from me and my mates was great. Pre game they were almost curious in our prescence and contrascending to the thought that we were a chance to win at all, yet when Polak goaled in the last quarter and many many cougars later the wrath of 5 happy tigers had left a sour taste in their mouths. Very very satisfied.bbbbb

Have never travelled to an interstate game.

Little Jackie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »
No doubt the round 22 game 1997 where the Geisch masterminded to plan an extra player behind the ball(Rogers) and then run through midfield.
Ground was a sellout and every tiger supporter sang the theme for at least 20 minutes after the game, a great memory. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Always like travelling interstate :clapping

The most feral of the interstate supporters - Freo without hesitation. They are a sad bunch. Boast about having made the finals in 2006, spit at you for no reason other than wearing your colours, shove things in your face as you walk to find your seat.. a feral motley bunch.

Out of the Adel 2 - give me Port supporters any day. Crows fans are .... whats the word .... dilluded ;D

Best interstate trip is always Brisbane :thumbsup Actually disappointed we are not going to Brissy again this year.

Sydney is always interesting. Free karioke on the scoreboard "Cheer cheer the red & the white" following the bouncing ball  :lol

Favourite away game - gotta be round 17 2001 against the bullies - to borrow a Bruce phrase it was speeecccccial :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Always loved going to Lake oval. My Mum was a "Southerner" (South Member) so I used to get a very nice seat in the stands. When I didn't go with her I had my usual spot at the lake end on one of the advertising signs behind the goals. It was a great vantage point. These days you would get arrested for climbing signage. In those days nobody gave a stuff. It was also a great place to get your mug on the TV.  8)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
During the late 60's/early 70's standing on a home made grandstand of steel beer cans at Princes Park watching Hart, Sheedy et al give it to Carlton.  Every kid did the same - as the game went on and more and more cans were emptied you could build a stand of Taj Mahal proportions and see over the heads of all the adults.  Unfortunately it was a double edged sword.  Emptying of the cans also had a negative impact on the ability of said adults to negotiate safely around your construction and often you were sent scuttling to the deck.  Of course, it was p**s funny when it happened to someone else, especially if they were a Carlton kid.

Was at Windy Hill just in front of the players race the day of the infamous brawl.  It was a good old fashioned all-in and some of it spilt over into the crowd.  Everyone was so tense after half-time (players and crowd) waiting to see if it would erupt again and everyone couldn't stop talking about it.  I remember distinctly seeing Parsons whack some Essendon bloke and thinking wow, how are they ever going to stop this.

Recently - R9 2005 at the Gabba.  We had fought the good fight all night only to be down by a couple of points deep into time on.  Ball comes down our end, Browny scoops up and snaps a goal.  We got up by 4 points and I have never heard such a loud and sustained cheer for us at an interstate game ever.  I estimate that at least 7-8k of the crowd that night were Richmond supporters and all you could hear walking from the ground was the theme song over and over.  Chill up your spine stuff!  I was involved with the Qld Supporters Group at the time and we had a post match function at a local club that in the previous year (first time held) attracted about 3-400 people.  This time we had over 1500 turn up, overflowed the club, they and to ring in more emergency staff and the place went off for a few hours - singing the song over and over again.  Downside was that the first year all the players could mingle with the supporters and it was fantastic, this time they could only file in and stand on a stage but you could tell by their faces it was quite overwhelming - they weren't expecting the volume of support during the game and certainly not afterwards.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:11:31 AM »
I haven't been down to Geelong to watch a live game in years but as a kid I just remember them being totally feral down there. The Junction Oval was always a good ground to watch footy (and as a kid gain a Sherrin if you squeezed through the small gate fence at the Fitzroy St end to chase after a footy that had been kicked out of the ground). At the Lake Oval I accidently shattered one of the flurotube lights as a kid while have a kick to kick with the U19 players in the away rooms .... oops! :wallywink. Waverley was just the pits to get to.

Out of the Adel 2 - give me Port supporters any day. Crows fans are .... whats the word .... dilluded ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQVW3oIXZE

Not quite the Tiger Army chant is it  :lol although he does have a foghorn voice.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »
Can't go past the 2005 brisbane game , my one and only tiger interstate game...
Was sitting right behind the player race so was good to cheer them off..
Twas a nice walk back to the hotel too...

Can't think of many other good away games as we usually lost..
Though i remember us beating the bombers in the mud at windy hill in 1991...That was fun sticking it to some essendon tossbags..

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
Ive been to a few of the above mentioned games.

The Rd 22 1997 game at Princes park was awesome. I'd done my knee the week before playing footy and was on crutches at the presidents luncheon there. At half time i decided we had no chance of winning so decided to pillage every drop of bourbon(free remember) they had at the joint.
By the time we hit the front and put those filthy swines out the finals I was legless and crutchless.
I was going beserk and falling about in joy among hundreds of angry and depressed Carlton minions.
Oh the joy.

I've been to 3 wins in Brisbane, as I always go up there to visit mates who live in Brisvegas/Gold Coast whenever we play there. All were great and the tiger support there is phenominal.
Im guessing your talking about Easts Leagues club Smokey?
I went for a while after our win in 2006 and shared a beer with Tony Jewell.

I loved the suburban grounds and all their intracacies and atmospheres. I reckon I could nick in for free at almost all of them too when I was a wee lad ;) Loved the Lake Oval and went there heaps as my family were all South fans.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet was a one point win over Freo in the late 90's with Ben Hollands (no, not stegasaurus...Hollands kicking the winning goal from a long way out from a set shot on the boundary. We were getting thumped at one stage and I was getting plenty of abuse (and giving more back ;D) and when we fell in for a rare WA win it was party on!!
The aftermatch in the Subiaco rooms was one of pure joy and one I won't forget.

Ive been to Sydney twice for 2 losses.
Don't rate the ground nor the atmosphere and wish the club was still nestled on Albert Park Lake to be honest :'(  A bunch of bandwagoning couldn't care less unless we're winning types with no football cuture at all.
Lucky Kings Cross nightclubs make up for it afterwards ;)

Haven't done Adelaide yet, but always try and get to at minimum one away per season.

Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Moi

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »
Haven't done Adelaide yet, but always try and get to at minimum one away per season.
Been a few times.  Have never felt intimidated like I expected to be.  I like Footy Park, is a great venue to watch a game of footy IMO.

Like the Brissie trip as well - good value!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
I loved the suburban grounds and all their intracacies and atmospheres. I reckon I could nick in for free at almost all of them too when I was a wee lad ;)
LOL Struggles. Yep there was always a small hole in a wire fence or a wall you climb over  ;D.

It was a totally different era. With games now spread over 3 days and ground rationalisation you no longer bump into opposition supporters from all the other games on a Saturday arvo travelling to and from the suburban grounds on trains and trams.

I know it's biased but Punt Rd is/was one of the best grounds to watch footy at. Shame the VFL won't play games there.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
Hi all do any of you know where the tiger cheer squad normally sit at the SCG.

Going up at the end of this month and dont want to sit in the middle of those little old ladies behind the goals so any help would be great.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
just the post match and pre match football talks with mates.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:23:53 AM »
Hi all do any of you know where the tiger cheer squad normally sit at the SCG.

Going up at the end of this month and dont want to sit in the middle of those little old ladies behind the goals so any help would be great.
Going by the tv coverage at the SCG the opposition cheer squad sits on the outer side near the 50m line to the right of screen. The Swans cheer squad sits behind the goals at the same end.