Author Topic: Wallace RFC Coach for Five Years  (Read 7944 times)

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Wallace RFC Coach for Five Years
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 05:38:21 PM »
Balmey???

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »
Chris Bond?

LMAO
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 06:02:50 PM »
Rhett Bartlett?

Ox

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 06:26:24 PM »
Jack Dyer.

Ox

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 06:30:25 PM »
LMAOOOO@ Our new coach already having the nicknames of
Plough and Shaft.

LMAIOOOIOoOooOoOoOoOoOo :birthday :santaoOoOoOoOoOoOoo

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 06:32:55 PM »
And there is more good news to come ! ;)

I think a PM is in order from the prophetic one  :bow ;D

DOUBLE DITTO  :shh
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 06:34:55 PM »
Balme to replace Hutchison
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

froars

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 07:55:11 PM »
I hope it's either Knighta or Bondy - or both.  Two of my favourite ppl and both done good apprenticeships.
You'd never be wondering where their loyalties lie.

Ox

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 08:26:56 PM »
Talking to some folk in the know on the weekend.
(Carlton)

Interesting to note that they were of the opinion Knights was a idiot of a coach,
They'd apparently gotten the whisper from their folk in Adelaide.

Knights as an assistant - No thanks.

Forget these 90s guys.

froars

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2004, 08:30:37 PM »
What's his coaching record Ox - i wouldn't have a clue.
Just like him.
Surely liking a player qualifies as assistant coach lol

Jackstar

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »
Question for Ox, speaking to Carlton folk were we ? You werent at Fevolas engagement by any chance ???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2004, 01:38:56 AM »
What's his coaching record

Port Adeladie Magpies

2003 11 wins 9 losses - 5th (out of 9 teams)
2004 6 wins 10 losses - currently 6th with 4 rounds to go.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2004, 01:41:35 AM »
Five-year deal brings Wallace to Tigers
By Martin Blake
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 11, 2004

Picture: Wayne Taylor

Richmond Football Club has punted on the renowned healing powers of Terry Wallace, hiring the former Western Bulldogs coach to lead the club for five years from 2005 on a deal worth about $2.5 million and garnished with incentives for a premiership.

In a remarkable show of faith given an environment in which four AFL coaches in seven weeks have been told they are surplus to requirements, Wallace, 45, signed his new contract at Punt Road Oval yesterday morning. Wallace, who took the Bulldogs into four finals series in six years before departing in late 2002, will replace Danny Frawley on October 1.

Not since Ron Barassi's ultimately calamitous five-year plan was put in place at Melbourne in the 1980s has a club committed to a coach for so long. Even Kevin Sheedy, a four-time premiership coach, was thought to have extracted some largesse from Essendon when he signed for three more years earlier this season.

But Richmond and Wallace, who first met nearly a month ago, quickly agreed that five was the right number for the purposes of stability and correct the club's slide. "This is the time we believe it will take to get the job done," said Greg Miller, Richmond's football director.

Wallace, who played briefly at Richmond after winning three premierships with Hawthorn, rejected overtures from the Hawks, saying there were too many "roadblocks" at Hawthorn, an oblique reference to the threat of a board challenge.

Thus another piece of the complicated coaching puzzle fell into place yesterday, with Hawthorn seen as the jilted suitor, paying the price for its instability. But Hawthorn football director Dermott Brereton quickly said that Wallace had not been the club's first choice.

Rodney Eade and Gary Ayres, both multiple Hawthorn premiership players, are left to fight out that position unless the Hawks make a left-field choice. In any event Eade is still thought to be in the running for the Adelaide job vacated by Ayres.

Wallace said he wanted to take the under-achieving Richmond back to the promised land.

"Obviously we're all dreamers to a point of view," he said. "I've wanted to make it work for the right reasons and make the decision for all the right reasons, using your head, not your heart. But we're all dreamers. I just thought this football club was a club that had such a huge capacity to be one of the real strengths of the competition.

"We've all gone along to games when they have been 'up' and see how they can draw a regular 50,000-plus crowd to the MCG. I just thought it was time for that to come back again. I suppose I'm dreaming that I can do that. I believe that I can change the culture and the way the Richmond people are thinking about this footy club and that was probably one of the major reasons."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/10/1092102450002.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
A coach-in-waiting returns
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2004, 01:44:35 AM »
A coach-in-waiting returns
By Martin Blake
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 11, 2004

Terry Wallace was back on the other side of the cameras this time, but that's not to say he's any less comfortable there.

On the contrary, a half-grin came to him, and a wink for one or two friends among the throng, as Richmond's president Clinton Casey announced at Punt Road yesterday that Wallace would coach the club for five years from 2005.

The lines have become terribly blurred and everyone in this incestuous business knows it. Wallace said that on Monday night he had made sure that he didn't call Jason Dunstall or Greg Miller to tell them of his decision until later in the evening, lest he have to tell lies on his regular spot on 3AW earlier in the night.

Wallace has played it beautifully. As a professional with two potential employers, he was not about to allow any early statements about his future.

Richmond felt that it had a commitment from him weeks ago, but Wallace made sure he went and talked to Hawthorn as well, for four hours, no less, and there was the not unsubstantial matter of a signature.

Miller said the four-hour meeting at Glenferrie Oval had worried him so much that he fired off an email to Wallace last Thursday night. "I thought an hour or two (with Hawthorn) might have been enough," said Miller, who was seen to punch the air when the signature went on paper yesterday morning.

Wallace said he was annoyed that people had suggested he had gone through a charade with the Hawks. But he conceded that the phone call to Dunstall, an old friend, was difficult. "I've got to say that the 24 hours wasn't easy at all, and it was made particularly difficult by the fact it was someone I was close to."

He claimed that there were "roadblocks" at Hawthorn, referring to the agitation caused by Don Scott. But Richmond, the club he has chosen, is facing a more credible challenge to the board than the Hawks.

Responding to this, Wallace said the difference was that at Richmond, the forces headed by Brendan Schwab mounting a challenge had agreed on the selection process for a coach. Translated, he is saying that he felt safer taking the job at Punt Road. But the strong suspicion remains that he was heading to Richmond all along.

"It just became a situation where I would have only been going for my heart, and I didn't think for the right reasons," he said of Hawthorn's pitch. "It just became a little bit cloudy."

It is "unfinished business" that has drawn Wallace back to the coaching ranks, as though anyone seriously doubted that he would be back, notwithstanding the angst surrounding his departure from the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2002.

Wallace took the Dogs to two preliminary finals and might well have had a premiership side in 1997 only to fall short. It still rankles him, and coaching is in his blood.

His call to arms to the massive supporter base of Richmond was powerfully delivered. Like many observers, he regards the Tigers as an untapped monolith of football.

"Obviously we're all dreamers to a point of view," he said. "I've wanted to make it work for the right reasons and make the decision for all the right reasons, using your head, not your heart. But we're all dreamers. I just thought this football club was a club that had such a huge capacity to be one of the real strengths of the competition."

Wallace's appointment is out of the ordinary in several contexts, one of which is that Danny Frawley is to coach out the remaining three games.

The Richmond players ought to feel edgy. Their new coach said it stood to reason that a club in the bottom two would suffer significant pruning.

But most unusual in all this is the five-year term, a remarkable show of faith. Wallace, remember, is not a premiership coach.

But Miller said Richmond needed stability and what the five-year contract virtually guarantees is that so long as some progress is shown, the speculation that dogged Frawley won't be around in the first couple of years at least.

For his part, Wallace wanted it known that he was not asking for five years worth of patience. "I believe in a winning culture . . . I've had 11 years coaching and nine of them have been finals. I expect and demand of the people involved in the footy club that we've got to get it right as quickly as we possibly can."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/10/1092102450016.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tiger future in Wallace's hands
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2004, 01:54:27 AM »
Tiger future in Wallace's hands
11 August 2004   
Herald Sun

DANIEL Jackson is a Year 12 student starting out at Richmond. He will be 23 and a 100-game player when Terry Wallace completes his contract.

The Tigers have invested their future in Wallace. Unconditionally.

They have given him a five-year contract and carte blanche to revive an ailing football club.

He will decide his principal assistants, who stays and who goes from the player list, and how the club plays its powerful hand in the draft.

It is a massive show of faith in one man. A massive commitment, philosophically and financially. Wallace has a solid reputation, but he hasn't coached in a Grand Final yet.

He will get an estimated $3 million over the term of the agreement, although there are those in the industry convinced the club and its benefactors will pay a total of significantly more.

Surely not, yet Clinton Casey, the president, is a man of means and needs.

The Wallace appointment is the ace of spades in Casey's poker game with Brendan Schwab and his cohorts.

Apart from the political points for Casey, director of football Greg Miller never has been accused of being frugal in negotiations with coaches and players.

On the credit side, given Wallace's marketing bent, he will earn his keep. He will "sell" the club in a way that will have Eddie McGuire nodding approvingly.

Yesterday, he appeared at the media conference at Punt Road resplendent in a dark suit, crisp white shirt and the numbered Richmond tie he earned from his (brief) time as a player. Nice touch.

Starting from the modest base of 11 games in 1987, he plans to become a life member at Richmond, as he is at Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs.

Five years is an extraordinary term. Yet, Richmond is an extraordinary challenge, and clubs were queuing up for Wallace.

Like those before him, he sees Richmond as a sleeping giant; unlike his predecessors, he seems equipped to jolt the giant into action.

First up, Richmond will set membership records before Christmas.

If you're not a Hawthorn board member or supporter, it is an exciting appointment.

Wallace knows his stuff, he will be embraced by the Richmond faithful, given their wretched history in the past 20 years, and he made the right noises yesterday.

The most significant of his observations was: "Supporters want to see their own players developed."

Based on that, the early draft choices this year will be invested in youth not expediency.

No more Fletchers, Marshes, Morrisons and Wellers from other clubs to fill holes.

Wallace said supporters wanted to see players start and finish at a club: first games and 250th games, like Glenn Archer has done with the Kangaroos.

"We know there's no short-term fix in football," he said.

It is a lesson Richmond supporters have learned the hard way. Now they know what lays ahead. Strangely enough, the majority will accept it this time.

Wallace wants stability, development and steady progress.

He is a strong performer in the media, and lived up to his reputation yesterday.

It was probably a piece of pie, really, given he had to call Jason Dunstall on Monday night to tell him he wouldn't be going home to Glenferrie Oval.

He described the call to his mate and Hawthorn's acting chief executive as "really, really difficult".

He said the spectre of Don Scott and political instability at Hawthorn had worried him, later adding: "The fit wasn't right."

Yet, Richmond was so confident of landing him, a highly-placed official declared it a done deal 10 days ago.

Wallace made it official when he called Miller at 9pm Monday. He bristled at suggestions he put Hawthorn through a charade.

Adelaide, Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs now jostle for front position in the hunt for a coach, with Rodney Eade and Gary Ayres and a bunch of assistants all waiting in hope.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10407565%255E20322,00.html