Author Topic: Wallace RFC Coach for Five Years  (Read 7951 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace RFC Coach for Five Years
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2004, 01:59:58 AM »
from article: Turmoil proves costly for Hawks
11 August 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

Wallace ended months of speculation when he opted for the Tigers over the Hawks in a deal estimated to earn him $2.5 million to $3 million.

He indicated the excitement factor that is Richmond, the young developing players and the current stability off the field, played a role.

"We're all dreamers and I thought this football club is a club that has a huge capacity to be one of the real strengths of the competition," he said.

Flanked by president Clinton Casey and Miller, Wallace warned the playing list would be severely scrutinised.

"You would be kidding yourself at any side that's finished down in the bottom four on the ladder if you didn't think that was going to occur," Wallace said.

"I can't make any promises to the players on the list, all I can do is make promises to players who remain that we'll have a better list going forward."

The five-year deal was offered to Wallace three weeks ago by Miller, and reaffirmed and more in a passionate e-mail from Miller after Wallace met Hawthorn for four hours last Thursday.

Miller said it would take five years to develop the list to "where it should be".

"It's the time we believe it will take to get the job done," Miller said. "I don't look at it as a five-year plan, it's a five-year appointment and that sort of stability is paramount at football clubs."

Casey avoided discussion on a potential election against Brendan Schwab and whether the Wallace signing would carry favour with members.

"The important thing was to get the man available," Casey said. "And if that can transform into on-field success then everybody's the winner. I'm not sure (if it will help me) because that will be a decision for the members, if it gets to that at the end of the year."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10407639%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 02:15:11 AM »
Wallace to punt a losing culture
By Greg Denham
The Australian
August 11, 2004

TERRY WALLACE yesterday predicted a new winning culture at Richmond, but stopped short of declaring a time frame for success.

As revealed in The Australian on August 2, Wallace will take over from Danny Frawley at the end of the season and said development would be a long and difficult pathway.

"If you are looking at sustained premiership success, that takes a period of time," Wallace said.

Tigers president Clinton Casey announced yesterday that Wallace had accepted a five-year contract and would start in his position at Punt Road on October 1.

Football director Greg Miller, the man responsible for recruiting the former Western Bulldogs coach, also revealed the deal was as good as clinched three weeks ago at his second meeting with Wallace.

Casey said Richmond, who sit 15th on the ladder with just four wins after finishing 14th and 13th in the previous two seasons, offered Wallace a longer-than-normal deal because "there is no short-term fix in football".

"The board will provide the support and security for Terry to recruit and build a strong team that's going to produce some consistent performances for this footy club," Casey said.

Wallace said he wanted stability at Punt Road and would work towards a change of culture.

"I understand it's been a difficult time for all Tigers supporters and members and I'll be doing everything within my power to develop a winning culture back to the Richmond Football Club, getting it back to where it finally deserves to be," Wallace said.

Wallace said the opportunity to coach the Tigers would enable him to complete some "unfinished coaching business" that he had failed to achieve.

In 148 games at the helm of the Dogs, he won 79, lost 67 and drew two.

In almost six full years he got the Dogs into seven finals matches in four seasons. They were knocked out in consecutive preliminary finals in 1997 and 1998 by eventual premier Adelaide.

"Looking at the positives of Richmond, the efforts of both Clinton and Greg, and their professionalism in the way they approached all meetings conducted over a period of time, that made me super enthusiastic," Wallace said.

"I'm really hoping that there can be some stability within the Richmond footy club.

"It's something the club hasn't been able to achieve.

"I just thought that this football club was a club which has such a huge capacity to be one of the real strengths of the competition.

"I believe I can change the culture of the way the Richmond people are feeling about their footy club."

Wallace, 45, a life member at Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs, said he now had the chance to fulfil a long ambition to achieve something special with Richmond after a brief playing career in 1987.

After leaving Hawthorn following the 1986 premiership, the last of his 174 games with the Hawks, he played just 11 games for the Tigers the following year before moving on to the Bulldogs.

"For all the reasons I had when I first walked into the club, some of those dreams might now be able to be realised," he said.

Wallace, who was interviewed by Hawthorn last week, said he had not got close to reaching terms with the Hawks because there were "just road blocks in the way that didn't allow it to get that far".

Wallace said it would be naive to think a player cull would not take place at Punt Road at the end of the season.

"You would be kidding yourself on any side that has finished in the bottom four on the ladder if you didn't think that was going to occur," he said.

"I think you have to go down that path.

"The players have had an ugly year and I cannot make any promises to any player on the list."

Wallace, highly regarded as a master tactician and innovative coach, spent the best part of the past two years working in the media since controversially quitting as coach of the Western Bulldogs with one round remaining in 2002.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10407015%255E2722,00.html

froars

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 02:21:01 AM »
When something happens at RFC, it sure sells newspapers.
I bet when the Hawks appoint their coach, it'll be a piddly little paragraph lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger future in Wallace's hands
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2004, 02:26:09 AM »
Apologies for all the articles everyone. I just wanted to preserve this moment for prosperity.

You're not wrong froars  :lol. Poor Eddie will be so jealous.

Five years is an extraordinary term. Yet, Richmond is an extraordinary challenge, and clubs were queuing up for Wallace.

Like those before him, he sees Richmond as a sleeping giant; unlike his predecessors, he seems equipped to jolt the giant into action.

First up, Richmond will set membership records before Christmas.

Woohoo! 33-35,000 hear we come :thumbsup  :thumbsup  :thumbsup  :thumbsup

The most significant of his observations was: "Supporters want to see their own players developed."

Based on that, the early draft choices this year will be invested in youth not expediency.

No more Fletchers, Marshes, Morrisons and Wellers from other clubs to fill holes.

Wallace said supporters wanted to see players start and finish at a club: first games and 250th games, like Glenn Archer has done with the Kangaroos.

"We know there's no short-term fix in football," he said.

It's Terry "Harry" Wallace  ;D. Hearing this alone makes me even more confident we have the right man for job.  :thumbsup

It is a lesson Richmond supporters have learned the hard way. Now they know what lays ahead. Strangely enough, the majority will accept it this time.

Reality has finally and thankfully hit Tigerland. That's why!

Boys and Girls. It's still going to be tough and a long road ahead awaits but the Tigerarmy will begin its march back to the top on October 1, 2004. All aboard :cheers
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 02:29:52 AM by mightytiges »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2004, 03:09:15 AM »
One thing that Terry didn't say in the above newspaper articles that he said on Talking Footy was when asked by Watson about Richo, Terry said he would always do what was best for Richmond (the team) as opposed to what's best for Richo or any individual player. Wallace added that we were too one-dimensional in our structure and too slow getting the ball inside 50. No surprises there. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the big fella.

He was also asked about Cambo being captain. Wallace said he didn't want to discuss individual players at this stage. Diplomatically mentioned how he had only played 11 games for Richmond while Cambo has 4 B&Fs. Terry said he would sit down with Cambo after the season finishes.

On gameplans. Terry said although there'll be differences, he would use the same philosophies and principles he used at the Dogs. Parkin chipped in replying to Watson that the exact gameplan depends on the players at your disposal and you work with what you've got.

The rest of the interview was mainly reiterating what's printed in the papers.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2004, 08:20:15 AM »
I'm betting that a lot of former players will come back to the club.  And I wouldn't be surprised if one of the greatest makes a prodigal return (no Oxx not Jack Dyer) - yeah I know - open up the old can of worms but who knows?  I think this move will bring on a new and exciting era at Richmond.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2004, 08:45:57 AM »
Terry was also asked about Brad Ottens on TF. I will give him credit he has not said much publicly about any player. On TF the only 3 he spoke about were Otto, Richo and Cambo.

He said that at his age and size Brad Ottens is an important "commodity for the RFC" but he needed to sit down with Brad and find out what Brad wants to do and what he wants to get out of his footy.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2004, 10:50:05 AM »

The most significant of his observations was: "Supporters want to see their own players developed."

Based on that, the early draft choices this year will be invested in youth not expediency.

No more Fletchers, Marshes, Morrisons and Wellers from other clubs to fill holes.

Wallace said supporters wanted to see players start and finish at a club: first games and 250th games, like Glenn Archer has done with the Kangaroos.

"We know there's no short-term fix in football," he said.

It is a lesson Richmond supporters have learned the hard way. Now they know what lays ahead. Strangely enough, the majority will accept it this time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

Hearing this is better than sex .    :bow
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2004, 10:52:37 AM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

Hearing this is better than sex .    :bow

Settle ;D

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »
Gotta agree with him WP....(or at least bad sex (if there is such a thing)!!)
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 12:25:57 PM »
What Wallace has done, prior to making his decision, is get to know supporters’ thoughts.  And I think he has really nailed what we want and expect from our footy club.

One of the things that was important in him in making his decision was that supporters wanted him as coach of Richmond and also that the Club wanted him as well.

His time out of footy has allowed him to re-assess some things that he will do differently this time round as Coach.  For me, that’s probably one of his biggest selling points, because he’s flexible enough to change things that don’t work.

What came out in all this was the authority with which he spoke and the confidence in his own ability.

I don’t want to get too excited just yet, but it’s like the big black clouds over our footy club have finally gone somewhere else, or are at least starting to break away.  :thumbsup  :thumbsup

Anyway, I know we're in the middle of a drought, but I have to go throw a bucket or two of cold water over myself.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2004, 01:10:17 PM »
Did you hear that Terry Wallace said he had been browsing the Internet (hi Terry!) to read what the supporters are thinking.  Wonder if he made it to this wonderful site.

Jackstar

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
lets hope terry hasnt been to ""the other"" site. If he has, he will pack his bags and head for the hills ! :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Hall Hails Wallace Appointment
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »
Hall hails Wallace appointment
11:27:23 AM Wed 11 August, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond defender Ray Hall could well have been speaking for the entire Tigers' playing list when he hailed the appointment of Terry Wallace as coach as "a fresh start" for the struggling AFL club.

Hall, speaking exclusively to Sportal on Wednesday, said he was delighted to see the Tigers land their number one coaching target.

"It's a good result because they got the man they were after," Hall said of Wallace's appointment.

"It gives us stability going forward and after a tough couple of years for all of us, it's a fresh start going forward."

Hall, who says he has never met or spoken to the former Bulldogs coach, is looking forward to meeting Wallace.

"He has certainly got the credentials," he said of the man, who led the Bulldogs into the 1997 and 1998 preliminary finals in his first two years in charge.

In an unusual situation Wallace has been named as the new coach of the Tigers for the next five years, despite the club still having three games to play this year under its current coach Danny Frawley.

Hall said the players could not afford to think about the future under Wallace too much at the moment, instead concentrating all their energies on the last three games of the season.

"Everyone is happy it (the naming of the new coach) is done and we know now what is going to happen in the future and who our coach will be," Hall said.

"But now we (the players) have to concentrate on the last few games and try and get some wins on the board."

The Tigers have lost their past 11 games - their longest losing streak ever in one single season - but Hall said the players are desperate to get at least one more win on the board for the soon-to-be-departing Frawley.

"The way we have been playing in the last few weeks, there is no reason we can't win all three but do want to get at least one more win on the board for Danny."

Hall said the players also realised they are playing for their futures, with the new coach certain to make changes to the playing list.

But having wanted to be traded to Sydney last year and almost ending up at Geelong, Hall hopes he had a quiet trading period this year - declaring he wants to stay at Richmond for the long-term.

"It was a pretty stressful period last year but I am a definitely a Richmond man now," he said.

"I definitely want to stay at Richmond and be part of a fresh start next year and I have no doubt we can improve because we have got the players here."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=165212

Ox

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2004, 03:16:37 PM »

:scream :lol :rollin