Author Topic: Newman ready for the challenge (RFC)  (Read 1231 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Newman ready for the challenge (RFC)
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
Newman ready for the challenge
4:11 PM Mon 11 February, 2008
By Justin Rodski
richmondfc.com.au

RICHMOND defender Chris Newman says he’ll be “full of pride” when he runs out as a vice-captain for the first time this season.
Speaking from the Tigers Community Camp in Echuca, Newman couldn’t hide his joy at being named in the leadership group.

“It’s a huge honour to get vice-captain this year; it’s something that you only dream of to be one of the captains, especially at such a proud club as Richmond. I’m looking forward to the challenge,” he said.

The new look leadership team at Punt Road includes midfielder Nathan Foley and Newman as vice-captains, along with Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden and Kane Pettifer.

Kane Johnson set to skipper the Tigers for the fourth consecutive season.

Newman has become one of the Tigers’ most important playmakers out of defence in recent years, and he believes the inexperience of the back six has helped him to take on more responsibility at the club.

“Having such a young group on the field, especially in the back half, probably forced me to come out of myself a bit more to become that leader,” he said.

“You have to make a bit of an extra special effort for the younger guys. I sort of see myself as an older player now and I’m only 25, but you look around and there’s 18-year-olds, there’s blokes that were born in 1990.”

After suffering a season ending broken leg midway through 2006, Newman expected the nature of his injury to affect his recovery, but he played all 22 games in 2007, finished eighth in the best and fairest and averaged more than 18 disposals per game.

But despite his successful return, Newman knows how lucky he was to have had such a smooth recovery.

“I didn’t really expect to but I ended up being really fit. I didn’t really feel anything with my leg at all so I was really lucky in that regard. It could have been messy like Nathan’s (Nathan Brown) break, but it wasn’t fortunately,” he said.

“It’s a bit of a setback but these are the things that come with footy and I’ve been pretty lucky with injuries, so it’s just something you have to get over.”

Newman says Tiger fans can expect big things from young defenders Kelvin Moore and Luke McGuane in 2008.

“They’re really two fierce competitors that we’ve needed and they’ve got that size, so I think it’s time they take that next step. I think they’re really looking forward to the challenge as well.”

The imminent return of midfielder Mark Coughlan from his second knee reconstruction will be a major boost for the Tigers this season and Newman expects him to make a big impact through the centre corridor.

“Its going to be like having a new recruit out there with ‘Cogs’. We’ve really missed him the last couple of years and he’s obviously itching to get out there. He’s one of those hard bodies you need in the midfield.”

With Coughlan’s return and a pre-season free from any major injury, the Tigers will have an almost full squad to choose from for this weekend’s NAB Cup opener against the Saints.

Many players will be battling it out for positions in the starting 22 inthe season proper, and Newman says depth of this quality is well overdue at Punt Road.

“It’s a good problem to have and I think that’s starting to spread all across the ground. There’s a big line up for the back half as well and it’s obviously hard to get into the forward line because it’s such a dangerous group.

But that’s a problem that we’ve probably needed to have and it’s come to us now. It’s about developing and getting some games into the young guys, obviously the older guys remaining at that standard and hopefully it all glues together and we have a good year.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=55148

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
Re: Newman ready for the challenge (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »
2009 Johnson to step down as captain  :pray
Foley or Newman to be captain.  :bow

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »

Foley  :pray :pray

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Couldn't resist MT  ;) :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »

LOL

As much as I'm a fan of Newy I reckon Axel will get the captaincy in 2009 if he backs up last year's form this year. Newy to be the sole vice-captain.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Newman puts his hand up (RFC)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Newman puts his hand up
6:13 PM Thu 14 February, 2008
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au

NEW Tigers' vice-captain Chris Newman hopes his term under club captain Kane Johnson can serve as an apprenticeship for the top job at Punt Road one day.

“I’d like to be captain, whether that comes to fruition or not, I’m not sure but I’ll be doing everything in my power to be able to put my hand up I guess,” said Newman, who is preparing for Friday night’s Round 1 NAB Cup clash with St Kilda at the Telstra Dome.

“I’m just keen to learn as much as I can while I can. The opportunity came up and my peers voted on it so it was a huge honor to receive that title around the club,” he said of the vice-captaincy. “I take a lot of pride in it. I’m looking forward to the experience of playing as vice-captain, to learn as much as I can from Kane Johnson.”

As well as adopting his new role at the club, the 25-year-old is excited by the return from injury of ruckman Troy Simmonds.

“He’s been looking forward to getting out there and his presence and physicality is something we missed,” he said.

“We’ve been really lucky with injuries throughout the pre-season. There’s only one bloke who’s not out on the track with us so it’s a great opportunity to see how the guys will go against some quality opposition.”

That one bloke, of course, is Trent Cotchin, the Tigers’ number one (and second overall) 2007 draft pick, who has been placed on the club’s long-term injury list with a broken bone in his foot and Achilles tendon soreness. While Newman admitted to being disappointed for Cotchin, Richmond supporters’ patience will be rewarded.

“For the fans, they want to come and see how he goes and we’re all really excited … as well but he’s really young we’ve just got to be patient with that,” he said. “His focus now is just to get his body right and there’s really no rush or pressure from the club.”

In better news for the Tigers, midfielder Mark Coughlan is close to returning to the fold. The former Jack Dyer Medallist will this weekend play in a practice match for Coburg, at Geelong, after missing the entire 2007 season with a knee injury. He is expected to play around 75 per cent of the game.

“With Mark Coughlan out we’ve had a bit of a hole to fill,” Newman said. “He’s going really well with his rehabilitation and should be out there soon, which is going to be huge for us.”

According to Newman, the NAB Cup is a worthwhile booster for the Tigers after a wooden-spoon performance in 2007. “I think it’s a good opportunity just to get your confidence up. It’s a really exciting game and the boys look forward to playing during the pre-season.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=55289

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:57:50 AM »

LOL

As much as I'm a fan of Newy I reckon Axel will get the captaincy in 2009 if he backs up last year's form this year. Newy to be the sole vice-captain.

Personally id like Newy to have the job for 3-5 years before Axel takes over.  Firstly on the age and maturity factor, secondly Axel has admitted himself that he will be/has benn getting more attention in the mid field, give him a couple more years learning to deal with that otherwise the pressure could be to great and crush one that is looking to be an absolute star for the yellow and black.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
Personally id like Newy to have the job for 3-5 years before Axel takes over.  Firstly on the age and maturity factor, secondly Axel has admitted himself that he will be/has benn getting more attention in the mid field, give him a couple more years learning to deal with that otherwise the pressure could be to great and crush one that is looking to be an absolute star for the yellow and black.
True jacosh that's all in Newy's favour to become our next captain. I just have a feeling that if Axel can continue to star in spite of the extra attention he'll cop this year then there'll be pressure to have a star captain. Newy's a good reliable consistent smart footballer and as I said I'm a fan of his but he's not the gun midfield matchwinner type.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »
Newy's a good reliable consistent smart footballer and as I said I'm a fan of his but he's not the gun midfield matchwinner type.
I might get flamed for this but IMHO Newman is just like a younger version of Sugar.  Quiet, no nonsense, goes about his business without ever being a standout matchwinner.  More of the same if he is our next captain.  As I said - all IMHO.

richmondrules

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:44:18 PM »
I don't have a problem with a quite captain off field as long as he leads well on field, has the respect of the players and sets a good example. I do have a problem with a captain that, for one reason or an other, simply seems to have lost the ability to use his skills and causes turn over after turn over. There were times last year when I would grimace every time Sugar had the ball and I would pray that he did not end up with it. I do not think this is the way a supporter should view their captain.

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:24:30 PM »
the only bloke who has the capability and the talent to properly captain richmond is Brett Deledio. And Id suggest they offer him the captaincy at the end of 08 because one or two more years of this poo and the kid will ask to be traded.

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »
Make King Captain in his #46 jumper he plays like his been on the park 10 years
his the standout player every game l'm tired of excuses