Author Topic: Saying Sorry  (Read 6749 times)

Moi

Re: Saying Sorry
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »
I'm at least giving them a chance
No choice really, the people have spoken.
Which is really bad news for the Tigas of this world :rollin

Now if the Tiges could give Wallace another 5 years and pee off a few more people then I'll be a very happy girl lol

Labor & Wallace  :thumbsup

:rollin

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

What was it Jack Dyer said about voting Labor and barracking for the Tiges?  :shh

Moi

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

What was it Jack Dyer said about voting Labor and barracking for the Tiges?  :shh
You tell us Jakey lol

bushranger

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
I believe that it was right that someone, oneday said sorry. But I don't believe that there should be compensation for it though.
I saw a story a long while ago on the ABC and it was all about the pommy kids taken from their families and bought over here. But they were told that their familes were dead.
So where's the sorry to them ?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
Its all about perception Jake. Yours is obviously far different to the guy who lodged the claim today. But that is a side issue which you have stated you care little for.
BTW, I still don't know how you fit budget steak into the debate on the sorry speech by Kevin Rudd.??? Maybe you should have put it in the bottom of your reply where it may have been in context. Personally I would rather eat snags than budget steak but thats for some other thread.

If you feel that Rudd's actions have somehow made this world a better place then bully for you! poo will still happen, The human race will still continue to do horrible things to each other. All you can do is look after your own patch and the people that matter to you blended with the odd good deed performed for a stranger. Personally I found it to be a hollow gesture from someone who has had no real connection to any of what had occurred. Do you think he locked himself in a room and felt genuine sorrow as he wrote the words to his speech? If you think that then you obviously don't know how Canberra works. There would have been many people involved in the writing of that speech. Were they all feeling genuine sorrow too or were they thinking "poo if I rip out some ball tearing copy for the Ruddster in this monumentous hour, my political future is assured! Every word would have been written with calculation for maximum political effect and for future political advancement whilst trying to appear empathetic. People don't go into politics to change THE world, they go into politics to change THEIR world. Our lives are determined by the side effects.

Call me a cynic, but everyone in Canberra has an agenda which is purely centered on themselves and nobody else. 

Let me stress that I completely agree that many cruel injustices have been done to Indigenous Australians over the years including the stolen generation, I just feel that for the present and future generations something more substantial needs to be done rather than a speech of hollow words from a politician.

As Ox said, having your own people set a positive example is far more powerful than anything a politician can say.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »
Howard was the most popular unpopular Prime Minister we ever had but all I can say is that my life was a hell of a lot better off under him than "Chuck Wood!"

Regarding interest rates rising - it would not matter who is in the power at federal level there is very little they can do about interest rates. If Johnny was still PM they would still have gone up. Our inflation is seeing to that. If the previous govt had not gone spend happy last year leading up to the election it would have had minimal impact

I will admit that the interest rises aren't affecting my family simple because 2 years ago I locked our mortgage into a fixed rate because I could see the rate rises coming. Interest rates, the economy - it's all cyclical
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
I can't think of anyone more worthy of compensation than these poor people, as well as the kids who were taken from Britain for that matter.
Same as anyone who feels they've been wronged in some way and seeks redress in the courts, I don't see a problem with it.
I don't think it'll solve any problems of the Aboriginal plight, but if it makes someone happy, if anyone deserves it, they surely do.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
BTW, I still don't know how you fit budget steak into the debate on the sorry speech by Kevin Rudd.???

You brought up fiscal policy in your post Tiga. You tied it in via stating you would not want to see compensation and then for some reason proceded to speak about the new government's fiscal management (or mismanagement in your eyes). From what I read (please correct me if I'm wrong), you quite clearly see the possible economic consequences of this outweighing any possible social positives and see it as a dangerous trend of a fiscally reckless government. I don't. More than likely we'll have to agree to disagree.

I reckon there is now great scope to help a people who had given up on the previous government. More than that I quite simply believe in the value that if someone is done wrong they deserve our sorrow if it helps them get by. It overreaches any financial concerns or pressures I have.

Moi

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »
How about election promises.
These were the promises the government promised it would deliver and it did.
They were elected knowing Sorry would be on the agenda.

Unlike the previous government who brought in other goodies that weren't promised.
But that's another matter i guess.

Anyway, I would rather a government who had this kind of an agenda that helps our fellow man than the other mob that wanted to run everybody into the ground.

Re the cost of compensation.  Say it cost $100M, that's $5 from every Australian. $5 well spent IMO.

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
as diggler said on the other site RFC should say sorry to the lost generation of Tiger supporters.

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »
LOL  :rollin another reason for the goverment to crash the country into recession & make the Australian HARD WORKING TAXPAYER pay & the blacks wont see half the money
it will be more broken promises which our children will be paying for in genrations to come & the fighting will go on & nothing will change comeback in 10 years we continue this decusssion if l'm still on this planet  :rollin :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
I can't think of anyone more worthy of compensation than these poor people, as well as the kids who were taken from Britain for that matter.
Same as anyone who feels they've been wronged in some way and seeks redress in the courts, I don't see a problem with it.
I don't think it'll solve any problems of the Aboriginal plight, but if it makes someone happy, if anyone deserves it, they surely do.
Yep. Same goes for the Asbestos victims with James Hardie.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
Very gutsy man, Bernie  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:31:22 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
Yep I thought the call on Bernie was a bit rough before, but people on forums are real heroes  ::)
Very gutsy man, Bernie  :thumbsup
Yep he was, against a dog of a company.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »
yep 1 very dead bernie hardly got a cent
Asbestos we use to kick it around in the power stations. l worked in it & around it all my life its everywhere down here & even in the housing everywhere
none of us will see a red cent dont kid yourselfs goverments & big companies never payout & if they ever do you near dead or dead to spend the money
Life is all about giving to your next generation beleive me
the stolen generation will never see a cent they get enough hand outs now why should they get anything else they not even forced to work & you cant tell me the goverment cant build a few factories to employ them
seen many off them offered jobs even by myself & they always reject the fact to work
but they can drink, smoke, & fight all day down here & get rest in the lockup every single day
As the goverment stated thier will be no compensation for them & any challenge will take years of legal systems time & l bet there is no records of anything & it will drag on & on & l hope my daughter is right in the mix in the legal wrangle & make a fortune off it helping them fight a lost cause  :rollin