Author Topic: The Grunting Tennis Playing 9 year old  (Read 3198 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The Grunting Tennis Playing 9 year old
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
Has the story about the 9 year old girl being banned from playing if she grunts made it as news around the country?

Reason I ask is because i was just reading 50/50 in the HUN and there was a letter from a lady in Canada supporting Lauren.

Call me cruel but after putting up with Sharapova's antics for 2 weeks during the Aust Open I think anything that forces kids out of this "habit" (and yeah I reckon it is a form of cheating) is worth it. Especially when the Scream Queen Sharapova is this kids hero. To me that's the problem - the kid see Screamapova do it and get away with and they think it OK

BTW: They haven't banned her from playing completely, she's banned if she grunts.

Comments, thoughts ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: The Grunting Tennis Playing 9 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »
I'm not an expert on tennis etiquette, but I think Sharapova uses it to intimidate her opponent, and yes that is outside the rules. I agree WP it is a form of cheating that should be discouraged strongly at the junior level...

Banning seems extremely harsh for a 9yo girl though, sometimes I think we interfere too much in society, we're becoming a bunch of Mrs Mangles that want to intrude deep into people's lives via the Herald Scum.    :-\

The other side of me thinks ban the cheeky little copycat until she learns her darn well lesson.  :banghead
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine