Author Topic: 2008 potential draftees  (Read 32264 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: TAC Cup finals
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
Sunday TAC cup finals

(2nd) Dandenong Stingrays   4.5  5.9  10.13  14.13 (97)
(7th) Western Jets                1.2  3.4    5.4    14.10 (94)

GOALS:
Dandenong Stingrays: Pitt 3 Purves 2 Scully 2 Sienkiewicz  Rogasch  Doria  Clark  Ferraro  Smith  Hunter
Western Jets: Banner 4 Lunardi 3 Post 2 Carroll  Casley  Di Martino  Aloi  McKenzie

BEST:
Dandenong Stingrays: Scully Gaertner Sienkiewicz Clark Ferraro Pitt
Western Jets: Post Tighe Sherlock Casley Fortune Halloran

========================

(1st) Murray Bushrangers   2.5  5.9  12.15  14.17 (101)
(2nd) Eastern Ranges          4.1  7.3  10.4     13.9 (87)

GOALS:
Murray Bushrangers: Rockliff 4 Sidebottom 3 Ziebell 3 Mahoney  Mangan  Duryea  Sheahan
Eastern Ranges: Shiels 3 Cass 3 Moore 2 La Marca  Gysberts  O'Keefe  Harding  Sloane

BEST:
Murray Bushrangers: Sidebottom Ziebell Mahoney Klemke Martiniello Bryce
Eastern Ranges: Renton Brown Scott Purcell Shiels Gysberts

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=8&pg=1&a=MR_

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2008 Morrish medal results
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »
Farran Priest and Jaryd Blair tie for Morrish Medal
Amelia Harris | September 15, 2008

MORRISH MEDAL

Jaryd Blair (Gipps) 18
Farran Priest (Murray) 18
Dylan Joyce (Calder) 17
Andrew Hooper (N Ball) 17
Tom Rockliff (Murray) 14
Jordan Florance (Bend) 12
Ricky Ferraro (Dand) 12

MURRAY midfielder Farran Priest capped off a remarkable day for the Bushrangers, tying for the Morrish Medal last night. Priest, who at 17 is too young to be drafted, and Gippsland Power midfielder Jaryd Blair each polled 18 votes in the TAC best-and-fairest count.

A best-on-ground performance against the Oakleigh Chargers in the last round saw Priest grab the lead.

Blair, 18, had a one-vote final game against the Western Jets to force the first Morrish Medal tie since the TAC Cup was created in 1992.

Priest's win came just hours after minor premier Murray advanced to the second week of the knockout TAC Cup finals with a 14-point win against Eastern Ranges.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said the pair were similar players, right down to both being 172cm.

"They're great prolific ball winners . . . two dynamic small players, not too dissimilar to (Port Adelaide's former Morrish Medal winner) David Rodan," Sheehan said.

"It just shows you can get through. You can't ignore players like the Rodans and the (Tony) Liberatores who have come through over the years.

"There's no doubt people will take notice. They might have that something special that would see them get through."

Sheehan said Blair had to be in the mix to win.

"For a little guy of his size, he can take a fantastic mark, he can stand on their shoulders and has dominated some games," he said. "He's a dynamic, power pack leader.

"Certainly his size hasn't stood in the way of being able to match it with the big guys."

Priest has impressed in a star-studded Murray team.

"He's playing in a side with plenty of players with high credentials, players who made All-Australian this year like (Jack) Ziebell and (Kade) Klemke," he said.

"He's in among a side that dominated on top of the ladder. It certainly gives him the confidence he can mix it with the best players in the competition."

Calder midfielder Dylan Joyce and North Ballarat defender Andrew Hooper tied for second with 17 votes.

Murray forward Tom Rockliff, who kicked four goals yesterday, polled 14 votes.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24345646-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TAC Cup Team of the Year
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
2008 TAC Cup Team of the Year

B:  Zach Sengstock                Tom Gillies                Andrew Hooper
   Sandringham Dragons    Dandenong Stingrays   North Ballarat Rebels

HB:  Tom Simpkin               Michael Hurley                Kade Klemke
     Geelong Falcons           Northern Knights          Murray Bushrangers

C:  David Zaharakis             Mitchell Banner              Koby Stevens
     Northern Knights             Western Jets               Gippsland Power

HF:   Rory Sloane                  Jack Ziebell                Thomas Rockliff
      Eastern Ranges          Murray Bushrangers       Murray Bushrangers

F:     Xavier Gotch               Aaron Purves                  Tyrone Vickery
    Oakleigh Chargers        Dandenong Stingrays     Sandringham Dragons

R:  Jordan Roughead             Luke Shuey                   Jarryd Blair
   North Ballarat Rebels      Oakleigh Chargers           Gippsland Power

INT: Jordan Gysberts      Kallen Geary
      Eastern Ranges     Bendigo Pioneers

Andy Duhau           Nick Suban
      Calder Cannons    North Ballarat Rebels

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-3020-0-0-0&sID=69677&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=6603596&sectionID=69677

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sloane claims 2008 TAC Coaches Award
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
Sloane claims 2008 TAC Coaches Award
By Travis Parnaby

TAC Team of the Year member and Eastern Ranges captain Rory Sloane has capped a magnificent year by taking home the 2008 TAC Coaches Award.

Sloane, a versatile half-forward and midfielder, won with 30 votes ahead of North Ballarat Rebels defender Andrew Hooper on 27 votes.

Sloane's coach Shane Watson heaped praise on his charge when he delivered a snapshot of his excellent year.

“His first few games before the national carnival was on, I’d say he was more a solid player Sloaney than anything else before he got himself in the Vic Metro squad," Watson reflected.

“With us he played midfield and forward and David Dickson thought he’d be pretty useful down back.

“Over the carnival he was one of the better players for Vic Metro playing on some really big names from WA and the like.

“When he got back from the carnival, he had a spring in his step and I guess the reason why I voted for Sloaney so much, was his ability to have an impact on a game – whether it be his leadership or the way he went about it in and under, going forward kicking goals. He leads both on and off the field and set’s a great example for everybody else.”

Last year Matthew Kreuzer took home the TAC Coaches Award, one that serves as a point of difference but no less distinguished to the Morrish medal.

“It’s a very prestigious award, it’s one that’s highly regarded,” Vic Country coach Robert Hyde said.

“This comes from the people that give specific tasks and jobs to players and value them as members of the team.”

Sloane was indeed chuffed and said he enjoyed greatly his time at Eastern.

“Thank you to all the coaches. It’s been a great year and over my three years it’s been a really enjoyable time," Sloane said.

"Shane Watson as coach… and Ian Flack, region manager they have really helped me."

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-3020-0-0-0&sID=69677&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=6603642&sectionID=69677

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2008 potential draftees / U18 Championship
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »
2008 TAC Cup final

Dandenong Stingrays   2.3  3.4  8.6  10.8 (68)
Gippsland Power          1.2  4.5  6.6  8.13 (61)

GOALS:
Dandenong Stingrays: Pitt 3 Doria 3 Bastinac  Purves  Clark  Hallahan
Gippsland Power: Heyne 4 Blair  Weston  Donchi  Lehman

BEST:
Dandenong Stingrays: Gaertner Wragg Gillies Heddles Doria Pitt
Gippsland Power: Sing Blair McLinden Francis Heyne Butcher

=============================

Murray Bushrangers   3.1  9.5    9.8  14.12 (96)
Oakleigh Chargers     2.9  4.10  7.14  7.16 (58)

GOALS:
Murray Bushrangers: Rockliff 4 Wright 2 Mangan 2 Sidebottom  Browne  Hamilton  Martiniello  Craven  Ziebell
Oakleigh Chargers: Burstin 2 Shuey 2 Gotch  Van Unen  Nicolopoulos

BEST:
Murray Bushrangers: Rockliff Mangan Sidebottom Birthisel Bryce Hamilton
Oakleigh Chargers: Strauss Shuey Gotch Purcell Thompson Croft

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=8&pg=1&a=MR_

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Rockliff's ready this time (Age)
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 03:32:30 AM »
Rockliff's ready this time
Emma Quayle | September 28, 2008

TOM Rockliff was one of the Murray Bushrangers' best players in the last half of last year. He took marks, kicked goals and helped take his team to grand final day. But when he was overlooked on draft day, he wasn't too shattered.

"I think it was good to have another year at home and hopefully make sure I got picked up this year," said the Benalla teenager, who was eligible to spend another season in the under-18s, and finished as the TAC Cup's leading goalkicker.

"You never know the way it's going to fall on draft day and you're not sure what the clubs are after, but it was good for me to stay at home and to work on the things that I knew I had to improve to take my game to the next level.

"That's what I've tried to do and it's just starting to pay off a bit now."

Rockliff shapes as one of the more interesting players in this year's draft. He is an expert contested mark and beats players he seems too small to compete with. He can kick goals from anywhere and would be way up the list in terms of football smarts. He plays not unlike Adelaide's Jason Porplyzia.

But the recruiters will be wondering if he has either the pace or endurance to play in the midfield as well, which means that next week's draft camp at the Australian Institute of Sport becomes a crucial part of his season.

Another query is whether an ankle — which he shattered in the under-16 championships two years ago — will let him move well enough at AFL level.

"I think I've built on last year. I've tried to take my game to a new level and play in the middle a bit more. I've picked up a bit more pace and my running style's improved," Rockliff said.

Seventy-five players will attend the camp in Canberra, with Jack Watts, Nick Naitanui and Daniel Rich most likely to be selected by Melbourne at No. 1.

Steele Sidebottom, considered a potential top-10 pick, possibly pushed himself further up the order after Friday night's TAC Cup grand final in which he kicked 10 goals.

The players will undergo medical and psychological screenings on Wednesday. The physical testing — speed, repeat speed, endurance, vertical leap and agility — will take place on Thursday.

The three-kilometre time trial will be held at the start of the last day.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/rockliffs-ready-this-time/2008/09/27/1222217592516.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jackson Trengove and Tom Swift article (Age)
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 04:31:12 AM »
Duo seeks end to uncertainty
Emma Quayle | October 4, 2008

JACKSON Trengove is a key defender of the future, with speed, spring and a fondness for making big, thumping spoils.

Last year, he played on Matthew Kreuzer during the TAC Cup finals, and made him work very hard. A few weeks earlier, he took on Ben McEvoy, and frustrated the normally unflappable player who would later become the No. 9 draft pick.

Tom Swift is a smart, smooth midfielder, who can dance through the centre square, feed the ball out or run it away himself. He's quick, too, and at some stage in his career will wind up in an AFL team's leadership group.

Early this year, both Trengove and Swift were seen as two of the brightest prospects in the 2008 draft. Both should still be chosen high; Trengove is still a likely top-10 pick, and the rumour mill has Swift in Geelong's sights.

But Trengove hasn't played football for five months and Swift has played only a handful of matches in the past two seasons. They are the two big mysteries of this year's draft.

Swift's first problem arose in April last year: the day before his Australian Institute of Sport-AFL Academy group left for its tour of South Africa, the group played a game against Perth at Subiaco Oval.

Early in the game, he twisted the wrong way, fell and found out not long afterwards that he had ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

At the time — even though he was too young for the draft and had another year up his sleeve — he felt certain his chance was gone.

"I thought the clubs wouldn't look too positively on it, that it was over for me, but then I started to be more positive," he said.

Swift took it easy through the pre-season, came back in round four and played four games for the Claremont Colts before joining the under-18 West Australian state team.

He felt like he was getting better but in the final trial game before the national championships he landed awkwardly. This time, he injured the ligament running down the side of his right knee.

"At the time, I thought I'd done my knee again," Swift said. "I think once you've done one, you have that fear. But the left knee actually took a bit of impact on the landing, and it stayed strong when my right knee buckled. So it was disappointing, especially so close to the carnival, but I still felt like it was good signs for my left knee."

Trengove was injured while training with the Vic Metro team, the day before it flew to Tasmania to play its second game of the carnival. He was running with the ball and wasn't expecting the smother that crashed across his right knee.

As he hobbled off the track, he told himself he would be fine but the following morning, he was in pain, lots of it, and found out he had torn his hamstring from the top of his fibula bone. He watched Metro win the carnival while taking stats in the coach's box. He's had to learn some patience as he has worked through his rehab program, but he's not let himself worry about what the injury might mean come draft day.

"It was a bit hard because I'm the sort of person who just likes to jump in and do everything at once, but it's been OK. The clubs don't seem too worried about it, so that's a good sign," Trengove said.

"I just tried not to think of the draft and the camp … I thought whatever happened would happen and a part of me wanted to think about it and wonder about it, but I knew I couldn't change it. I wasn't able to play, so there was nothing I could do. I just had to do what I could do, and wait to get better."

Swift feels similarly. Had he re-injured himself in his first or second game back, he suspects he would be feeling a lot of uncertainty now. But he will be ready to go when he joins his new team for pre-season training, and the fact he had begun to find some form has made him believe he will belong, wherever he ends up.

"The best thing was that I was improving with every game. That was the most positive thing. And everyone always said it would happen that way, but you don't really agree with it until it actually happens," said Swift, who used his right knee injury to work on his left-foot kick and worked to build up his core strength.

"I was feeling really confident going into that last game, and I've tried to hold on to that.

"It was unfortunate and disappointing, and the last two years haven't been great. But I was able to prove to myself that I could get back and play some good footy even after the adversity I had the year before and that's been good for me.

"I probably still have a lot to prove, and it messed with my head a bit, but I feel like I've been able to put it all in the past now.

"If I'm lucky enough to be drafted by a club, I feel like I can go there and be just like any other player on the list. That's what I'm looking forward to."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/duo-seeks-end-to-uncertainty/2008/10/03/1223013793038.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1