Author Topic: Deledio contract extension should be RFC's No 1 priority  (Read 3270 times)

Ramps

Deledio contract extension should be RFC's No 1 priority
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
This year we will have an ordinary year. For me this year is about continuing to rebuild the club and securing the future. Because I expect we will have an ordinary year, some players may start to think about there futures and whether staying at Richmond is worth it.

I think Richmond will get success but I expect it will be 2011-2012-2013 when itll happen. So for me, a key priority as a supporter is seeing the club make sure it secures its best players.

Our best player is Brett Deledio and his contract finishes end of 2009. If we have a bad 2008 then that will mean we only have 12 months to show that we are worth sticking around for.

IMHO the No 1 priority is securing Brett Deledio at some point in 2008 to a contract which ties him to Richmond to atleast 2012. I would make it clear to him that he will be appointed captain for the start of season 2009.

If Richmond loses Deledio we are finished as a club. Its not that 1 player makes a club but if we lose our best player at such an early age, the symbolism will be disastrous for us. Richmond cannot afford to lose another generation of supporters (the young kids) who idolise Deledio.

Richmond must sign Brett Deledio till 2012. We have no choice.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Deledio contract extension should be RFC's No 1 priority
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
so true. good post
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »
Richmond must sign Brett Deledio till 2012. We have no choice.

We always have a choice.
If Deledio plays to his potential, the contract will take care of itself but he's got some work ahead of him before he can be considered an elite footballer.

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
If Deledio walks at the end of 2009 they may as well close the joint down.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »

Rubbish.
this club cannot be held to ransom.
He still has plenty to prove before we offer him ridiculous contracts.
He has a good season and it's another story.

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »
It isnt rubbish at all. The symbolism of losing the clubs best player will be a shattering blow to the clubs core. The thousands of little kiddies with No 3 on there backs will be devastated as well. Its hard enough for parents to keep there kids in the Tigers tradition with our disgraceful performances, if we lose the player that the kids see as the future of the club it will be as bad as when the club lost Raines and Cloke.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

Rubbish.
this club cannot be held to ransom.
He still has plenty to prove before we offer him ridiculous contracts.
He has a good season and it's another story.

magic mclean is it that time of month for you is it?
we offer just about everyone else ridiculous contracts so wouldn't we for lids. he is our future

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FooffooValve

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Deledio still has a way to go to call earn the tag of our best player. There are 4 or 5 ahead of him in my book, maybe more. Sure, re-sign him as one of our priorities, but let's not get carried away with how good he is just yet.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
Exactly Foof.

Lids is a very promising player who's got a heap of potential but he's no Judd, kerr, Cousin, Bartel, Hird etc. etc. yet.
He's basically just a former Rising Star Winner in a wooden spoon football side. ;)

Well maybe he's a little more than that but my point is that he has yet to prove that he is capable of taking the competition apart in the way truly elite players do.

Sure we all hope he'll be able to do it but there are no guarantees.

This season will give us a clearer indication of just how good Brett Deledio will be and as I said hopefully the contract takes care of itself.

But as a Richmond supporter, excuse me if I haven't had a gut full of footballers who show potential but never quite took the mantle of champion.

Here's hoping Lids can get there. Then we can blow his trumpet.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »
Sign him up for a 3 year deal early in the season to end the speculation.
If indeed we are successful in the next few years as Ramps puts it or earlier lets say
2010 onwards then he'll be foolish to leave on the cusp of success. If all this talk of success proves to be a furphy Lids will be out of contract at 2011 and if he is captain of the club and he leaves at the end of his 3 year contract to pursue success at another club then we may have a real problem. Most important thing this season off field is sign him up. If he signs up others will follow suit and we can have a core group of players to build a competitive competent list that will challenge in subsequent years.
Sign him up end the speculation on field. God knows there will be speculation about Terry all year. Last thing we need is losing marquee players on top of negative publicity.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
there will be an wait and see approach with Brett. :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Lids may become our best player in the future but right now Foley is our No 1. IMHO. Axel showed it again today. He kicked the ball long down to Rawlings and then had the speed to get to the knock down, crumb his own ball and kick the goal :bow
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
If Deledio goes ill throw in the towel.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
Just remember a talented youngster by the name of Nathan Buckley who long ago chased dollars & premierships elsewhere when his club appeared to be struggling..

Whilst he went on to have a glittering career, that team he left in his wake went on to win 3 premierships and he won none.

I'm very much a fan but Brett Deledio has got to want to be as much a part of future Tiger success as much as we want him to be a part of it. That means proving yourself and living up to your number one tag, not just going through the motions as he appeared to on occasions last season.

One footballer does not make a club.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »
If Deledio goes ill throw in the towel.

Think what BE says here sums it up. Minding the ifs and buts about lids, it is the young ones males and females alike that see lids as the future of our club and we cannot afford to lose them, as much as I beleive we cannot afford to loss his talent.