Author Topic: We need to fine-tune: Wallace  (Read 13663 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We need to fine-tune: Wallace
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
 Ben Casanelia
 7:35 PM Fri 07 March, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace is wishing luck to any side travelling to Skilled Stadium to tackle reigning premier Geelong this season.

After watching his side get humbled by the Cats to the tune of 72 points, Wallace was at least thankful his side did not have to travel down the highway again this year.

“I can assure the other sides in the competition that they are up and running and ready to go, and I’m very thankful we don’t have to come back here for the year,” he said.

“Good luck to others who want to come down here and challenge them.”

Wallace said the side was simply blown out of the water in the second term when the Cats kicked eight goals to two despite kicking into a slight breeze.

A 90-point three-quarter time margin was reduced to 72 at games end after the Tigers outscored the Cats six goals to two in the final term.

Wallace rated the lop-sided scoreboard as irrelevant and said his side needed to fine-tune as it did in the wake of its NAB Cup loss to St Kilda.

“The result on the scoreboard didn’t really matter,” he said.

“What we need to do is fine-tune. We fine-tuned after the St Kilda game and won our next two. We were the bottom side in the competition last year and we’ve gone through a pre-season period and won two and lost two.”

The Tiger coach surprisingly said winning was not always a good thing at this time of the year.

“Winning sometimes masks things you really need to be working on,” he said.

“We’ve played Sydney, St Kilda and Geelong who we think are three of the better sides in the competition. Personally, I would rather go into a season proper having played the best and ironing out a few things rather than running around and getting false impressions of where you are at playing against inferior sides.

“I’m comfortable with that side of it, we just need to be at our best come Round 1. You guys will call as you want but you don’t get four points until two weeks time.”

Wallace said Brett Deledio, who had 18 possessions and kicked two goals, would play both midfield and forward this season. The former No. 1 draft pick spent a majority of the first half playing inside the 50 metre arc.

“Four years in the system is when you should be starting to have some impact and I think that’s the case,” Wallace said of Deledio.

“We expect those blokes to step up and we’ve got quite a few that are around that age. They’re not young boys any more, they’re young men and they’ve got to start mixing it in this competition.”

He highlighted the lack of talls down back as a critical factor in the loss, with Luke McGuane and Graham Polak out of the side. Both are expected to be right for round one. Jay Schulz is rated a 50-50 chance to make it to the season opener after injuring his ribs in last week’s practise match against the Swans.

Mark Coughlan, in his first senior appearance since mid-2006, came through the game well but had limited impact playing in the middle.

Source: for richmondfc.com.au

Tigermonk

Re: We need to fine-tune: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
 Ben Casanelia

“We’ve played Sydney, St Kilda and Geelong who we think are three of the better sides in the competition. Personally, I would rather go into a season proper having played the best and ironing out a few things rather than running around and getting false impressions of where you are at playing against inferior sides.

what is this guy on
WE are the inferior side of the whole competition

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »
 Ben Casanelia

what is this guy on

Maybe Terry means the Yackandandah 2nds or worse Melbourne lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Little Jackie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »
Terry Wallace is a joke.
Mentioning the possible return of Jay Schulz as a positive  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead. Its going to be a very long year

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »
No sh1te Terry. We need to fine tune. Tell us something we do not know.
That's all we need after a 12 goal mauling in which the Cats would have eased up to avoid injury in the last term, having Terry put positive spin on it. Much like Danny and his cherry ripes. We have a long long way to go. Other praccie games may have been misleading but playing the benchmark of the comp 13 days before round 1 and losing by 12 goals is not exactly a confidence boost.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
 Ben Casanelia

what is this guy on

That is unfair, Demons are an absolute joke. Blues are not much better neither are the Bulldogs. Terry Wallace has one problem. 
His players continue to let him down. 

You cannot honestly expect him to present any differently at a press conference?

If he came out swinging at the players, the coaching staff, the recruiting or the club (like Malcolm Blight did at the Saints) IMAGINE the out cry.
That press conference only does one person a disservice and that is the coach. My opinion, he is taking a bullet for the players and the club because he knows that his press conference will provoke posts like yours and cynicism in the press. 
He needs to be calm, put a spin that shows no sign of panic and probably say things that appear to deflect how seriously wrong things really are.  It would be very easy for him to target players right now.

If by the end of the year - the whole lets wait a month before we lynch him is ridiculous - we are 4 wins or less then he will orchestrate his own "succession plan" which may involve him leaving the club or moving into a different role.
In general , our whole approach over the past few years has been pretty much right. Stable board, administration and coaching staff.  Making money, ramping up footy development - all good.

No matter what happens this year, I think we could review 2 areas:-

1. REcruiting - our 1st round picks on surface appear worse than our 3 or 4th rounds picks or even rookies.  It is like we have one person doing the 1st round and someone else picking the others
2. GReg Miller to trading is like Ben Cousins to Ice - he has a problem that requires an intervention.

He might be a problem and the people who matter might be a bit close to it to see.
For now, I just think we should back off a little bit, the Cats are at least 4-5 goals better than anyone else in the comp, we are going to have bad losses again this year but as long as we get 8-11 wins we will see development and feel hope.

That's the theme for 08, right?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
I would have thought the theme is clearing out a couple of lockers for Daniel Rich and Nick Natanui

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
I would have thought the theme is clearing out a couple of lockers for Daniel Rich and Nick Natanui

There will be more than a couple of lockers spare if we have another 2007.

T. Wallaces locker will be empty by round 8.

We are a very young side, giving talented ( :pray) kids the opportunity to play at the highest level....

Why are we always so spiritless, we have a truckload of players under 23, they should out there going hammer and tong. Why are they already seemingly disgruntled and playing half-assed. When any other team introduces a couple of youngsters they chase down and tackle all the opponents they can, are enthusiastic and inject extra energy into the team.

What is going on down at Punt Road, is it having a non-inspirational captain, is it the coach just completely destroying confidence in kids after being on a list for only a year, why do the players seem like they hate football?

Bugger seeing out Wallace's 5 years, if we're 0-6, pee him off.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »
 Ben Casanelia

what is this guy on

That is unfair, Demons are an absolute joke. Blues are not much better neither are the Bulldogs. Terry Wallace has one problem. 

You cannot honestly expect him to present any differently at a press conference?

If he came out swinging at the players, the coaching staff, the recruiting or the club (like Malcolm Blight did at the Saints) IMAGINE the out cry.
That press conference only does one person a disservice and that is the coach. My opinion, he is taking a bullet for the players and the club because he knows that his press conference will provoke posts like yours and cynicism in the press. 
He needs to be calm, put a spin that shows no sign of panic and probably say things that appear to deflect how seriously wrong things really are.  It would be very easy for him to target players right now.

If by the end of the year - the whole lets wait a month before we lynch him is ridiculous - we are 4 wins or less then he will orchestrate his own "succession plan" which may involve him leaving the club or moving into a different role.
In general , our whole approach over the past few years has been pretty much right. Stable board, administration and coaching staff.  Making money, ramping up footy development - all good.

1. REcruiting - our 1st round picks on surface appear worse than our 3 or 4th rounds picks or even rookies.  It is like we have one person doing the 1st round and someone else picking the others
2. GReg Miller to trading is like Ben Cousins to Ice - he has a problem that requires an intervention.

He might be a problem and the people who matter might be a bit close to it to see.
For now, I just think we should back off a little bit, the Cats are at least 4-5 goals better than anyone else in the comp, we are going to have bad losses again this year but as long as we get 8-11 wins we will see development and feel hope.

you think my post is unfair  :rollin :rollin
your not watching your football enough & inlove with TW press spins & tigertales  :lol :lol :lol

LISTEN TO ME

The Tigers are making the same mistakes & turnovers, sloppy football, game plan destructions, players in wrong positions, Richo in forward line the same old problems that Frawley had
have you seen any improvement over the Wallet era HELLO your not watching lucky its not on TV the media would have a bloody field day l'm sure thats why they tank out of the NAB cup early so not to been seen

cant use them clauses anymore of ?? we turning over the players who are making the bad mistakes cause the list is nearly completely turned over & guess what there still playing the same brand of football so we back at gate 1 again

l bet when Mitch Morton took that screamer the tiger players got all excited & fell over each other thinking change is here. then they got smacked in the second quarter made them look stupid & the coach even more stupid.  l bet he was wishing the cats had dug a previous hole in the ground he could climb into. Any good coach can close a game down in a quarter by having a plan except Suntanned Terry

Now thats a bit harsh aint it telling it how it really is but anyway keep on dreaming cause the season is about to explode & we got a pretty easy draw first few games

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
Tiger Monk - take some of your own advice and LISTEN - if you can listen by reading but anyway.....

Point 1 - Based on our pre-season, at worst there is no way we are the inferior side in the comp, we're not that flash but not the worst.

Point 2 - Newsflash - WE WON THE WOODEN SPOON. What are you expecting the following year? I'd be interested in your answer. Young sides go up and down, as I stated in the post (if you cared to read it properly) we will suffer heavy defeats like all young sides. If your expectations are that we are going to finish in the Top 4 and be within a few goals each week, you are kidding yourself.

Point 3 - If you expect Terry Wallace to come out and bag the players, himself and the club in a press conference you are an idiot. Sorry but its the truth. Taking TW's press conference is like taking a politician literally - and all coaches do it.  None of them really say what they mean - they understand both positive and negatives.

Point 4 - I am not in love with the coach, I do however love the club and can at our position objectively.  The jury is out on the coach, the players, the match committee, the recruitment and even the board. Sacking the coach after 6 rounds means nothing. Its stupid and belongs in the 90s.

Point 5 - The one thing that concerns me is the recruiting - particularly the 1st rounders and the trading thing.

I am very tempted to pay out on the club (like you) but I'm not going to. I haven't  bled black and yellow for 35 years to wait for us to fail and stick the knives in.  I do it because I want to see us kick FXXXXX A and win games of football.

So if you think I don't know what I talking about, good on ya mate that's your view.  Like bungholes, we all have one.
But my view is that I'm not too sure what will happen this year but I'll be okay with 8-11 wins.

I'm sure your just as loyal and passionate as me and I agree with some of what you are saying - I just think you are being too harsh this early in the year.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Little Jackie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
We are the worst.
Nothing has changed from last year. Pre-Season has been a joke, with NO evidence of change of game plan, if such thing does exist at Punt Road, lol

Little Jackie

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
 Ben Casanelia

what is this guy on

you think my post is unfair  :rollin :rollin
your not watching your football enough & inlove with TW press spins & tigertales  :lol :lol :lol

LISTEN TO ME

The Tigers are making the same mistakes & turnovers, sloppy football, game plan destructions, players in wrong positions, Richo in forward line the same old problems that Frawley had
have you seen any improvement over the Wallet era HELLO your not watching lucky its not on TV the media would have a bloody field day l'm sure thats why they tank out of the NAB cup early so not to been seen

cant use them clauses anymore of ?? we turning over the players who are making the bad mistakes cause the list is nearly completely turned over & guess what there still playing the same brand of football so we back at gate 1 again

l bet when Mitch Morton took that screamer the tiger players got all excited & fell over each other thinking change is here. then they got smacked in the second quarter made them look stupid & the coach even more stupid.  l bet he was wishing the cats had dug a previous hole in the ground he could climb into. Any good coach can close a game down in a quarter by having a plan except Suntanned Terry

Now thats a bit harsh aint it telling it how it really is but anyway keep on dreaming cause the season is about to explode & we got a pretty easy draw first few games

Totally 100% AGREE!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
our captain and coach would have to be the 2 worst in the league.
wallace has changed nothing in his team since he arrived. If he was so hell bent on change and youth, what the hell is tivers, hyde and that pathetic johnson still doing on our list.
allright johnson is not that old but he is useless.
We cannot be taken serious if the younger guys are looking up to a guy who barely speaks out on the field. He is a outright disgrace and i would rather see out pick 80 in the 2001 draft get a game than this guy.

we will go nowhere with this list, the seniors players lack skill and spark and players like raines. well give me a break. the guy is so far up himself its not funny.
see what happens when you get signed up. another schulz in the making that guy

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
So if you think I don't know what I talking about, good on ya mate that's your view.  Like bungholes, we all have one.
But my view is that I'm not too sure what will happen this year but I'll be okay with 8-11 wins.

I'm sure your just as loyal and passionate as me and I agree with some of what you are saying - I just think you are being too harsh this early in the year.

if you think Richmond is gunna win 8-11 games this year your dreaming under the current system
we be fighting out out for the wooden spoon with Melbourne & they as a club dont like wooden spoons & will fight & beat us
we will be lucky to win games at full strength cause there is no strategic plans to stop teams doing what they want to us even the lower clubs kick 16 against us we struggle to kick 100 pts a game & when we do kick 100 points we get all excited

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
forgetting about our youth for a second. our senior core would hardly get a game at any of the top clubs and thats a fact.

at the end of the day most of these guys play for the pay packet not the jumper.
u wonder why otto and rodan left punt road. i tell u what there will be some more that will follow that lead, make no mistake about that.
we have no heart and thats why we will lost good quality players to clubs who have a ticker

ill get blasted for this but clubs like the hawks and pies play with heart. never give up attitude.
terry had this at the buldogs so why the hell dont we have it at punt road.
whats the blood. reason tell me??

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.