Author Topic: Tiger cubs bind together (RFC)  (Read 477 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger cubs bind together (RFC)
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »
Tiger cubs bind together
Luke Holmesby
Thu 20 March, 2008
richmondfc.com.au

WHEN Shane Edwards was drafted to Richmond in 2006, he had fears that the whole experience would be too overwhelming.

The idea of sharing a change room with high-profile names like Nathan Brown and Matthew Richardson was daunting for the skinny South Australian teenager.

But Edwards says he has wasted no time in becoming close with the whole playing group.

“It’s super-tight and there are no little groups within the group,” Edwards said.

“Everyone’s your best mate and I reckon that’s awesome. Coming to an AFL club I didn’t think it would be like that.”

Edwards said he was instantly drawn to the other young Tigers who were all trying to establish themselves on the AFL scene.

“We were all real tight and the guys are my best buds in Melbourne. I’m pretty close with Daniel Connors, Adam Pattison, Cleve Hughes and Jack Riewoldt,” he said.

“When I came over last year I talked a lot about Adelaide with Cleve and Danny Meyer. I’m talking to the new guys about where they’re from - Alex Rance is full of stories about back home in WA.”

Edwards has adjusted well to life as a league footballer in Melbourne after leaving behind friends, family and a girlfriend in his home state.

But he acknowledges that there were some tough times along the way, particularly when trying to maintain a long-distance relationship while still a teenager.

“It was hard for us when I first moved interstate but we got used to it and things are going smoothly,” he said.

“We’ve been together for about 18 months and she comes over whenever she can.

“I’ve been back to Adelaide probably 10 or so times since I’ve moved here and we talk on the phone all the time.”

Edwards lived with a host family in Essendon last year but has since moved to Elsternwick with teammate Will Thursfield, which he says suits him just fine.

“I reckon it’s good. If one of us forgets about something, the other will remember it and you don’t get sick of each other because you don’t have to talk about footy when you get home,” Edwards said.

“We both have to put weight on so we’re eating big meals and having lots of protein shakes.

“A lot of the boys live around there - Rainsey (Andrew Raines) and Daniel Connors live together around the corner, Jack Riewoldt is nearby and Mark Coughlan is also around there.”

“Elsternwick’s not too crowded, which I like, it’s really close to the club and there’s pretty much everything you need along Glenhuntly Rd.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=56619