Author Topic: Police boot camp behind Tigers' new resolve (Herald-Sun)  (Read 839 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Police boot camp behind Tigers' new resolve (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »
Police boot camp behind Tigers' new resolve
Jon Ralph | March 24, 2008

RICHMOND hard nut Jake King says a six-month pre-season led by Victoria Police's special operations group is the secret to his side's tight bond and new aggressive approach.

The Tigers eventually overran Chris Judd's Carlton in a 30-point win on Friday night, showing a steely resolve lacking in recent seasons.

Both Cleve Hughes and Richard Tambling marked after surging back with the flight of the ball, while the team continually roughed up Adam Hartlett in the third term after he floored teammate Cam Howat behind play.

King says it is all about committing to an ethos of togetherness brought on by the SOG's efforts to mentally test the Richmond list.

"The six months were run by the SOG boys. It was that tough, it was unbelievable. You had to be there to see it," King said yesterday.

"They did four days (straight), then they popped in at the club every now and then and took us for sessions.

"It was pretty much them trying to break us mentally, but they didn't. It actually became such a big bond over the last six months. It's been an enormous turnaround for us."

The SOG's training camp in the Dandenongs and Anglesea famously saw King punch out more than 300 consecutive push-ups, with the vision a feature of the AFL's season launch on Thursday.

"The whole six months, they would come in and we would be training and then think training was over and the boys would switch off.

''Then all of a sudden they would stick their heads in and and say, 'All right boys, you are ours now'," he said.

"And everyone had their hearts ripped out and tried to run away. But we had to fight through it and we didn't want to be broken by them, so we got up, even though our bodies couldn't take it.

''We got up and kept pushing through."

King said the training camp was as intensive as anything he had been put through.

"They sent us out into the bush and said, 'Find your own food, find your own sleeping arrangements', and we had to find our own water, so they were busting our chops for so long.

''It was two o'clock in the morning and they were letting off these little bombs to wake us up and we were out there doing push-ups," he said.

"It was a good bonding session and I don't think we are going to go away from that. We will keep doing the hard work."

King did not see the Hartlett-Howat collision, but it is believed some Richmond players say they witnessed Hartlett elbowing Howat in the head behind play.

Howat was carried off by trainers and the Tigers pointedly harassed Hartlett - with King leading the charge - then rallied to kicking seven of the last eight goals.

"We are going to have one another's back through the whole season, whether they are right or wrong," said King of the team's collective unity.

"I am a bit old-fashioned and I reckon if you see one of your teammates down, you go over straight away and I will have their back, just like everyone had (Howat's) back."

While King is a self-confessed aggressor, he has plenty more strings to his bow.

The former plumber and AFL rookie who turns 24 this week vied for best-afield honours with veteran Matthew Richardson on Thursday night.

"I have never been one to look at myself and say, 'I am an AFL player'.

''I have looked at myself as the boy next door. I just love having a crack.

''I love being on there with the boys I play beside and I will have a crack no matter what," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23420953-19742,00.html

Ox

Re: Police boot camp behind Tigers' new resolve (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »
Geez i love Kingy.

"
"They sent us out into the bush and said, 'Find your own food, find your own sleeping arrangements', and we had to find our own water, so they were busting our chops for so long."

Now we're stuff ken talking.!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »
Love the sound of that.  :clapping

Get a bit of grit into the boys and judging by Hughes (The mark), Schulz(Sore Ribs but still body on the line everywhere) and Howat's (After being concussed by Hartlett had him running at him again on the boundry line and didnt blink an eye-lid, took the hit) performances it was a bloody good idea  :thumbsup.
EAT EM ALIVE!

richmondrules

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
Pleased by this. The resolve, courage and team spirit was exactly what I saw on Thursday that I didn't see last year. There was an extra dimension to the team. The skill errors were still there but I got the feeling the boys came out after half time with a resolve to stick it right up Carlton. With that resolve the skills even got better.

This is the difference between Hawthorn and ourselves I think. You can see a real siege mentality when you watch the Hawthorn players play. I have looked on with envy for the last few years wishing that I could see the same determination and arrogance in my Tigers. I saw the beginnings of this against Carlton I hope. With any luck when we can field a senior team with the same experience as Hawthorn can now we will see similar results and positive press.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
"I have never been one to look at myself and say, 'I am an AFL player'.

''I have looked at myself as the boy next door. I just love having a crack.

''I love being on there with the boys I play beside and I will have a crack no matter what," he said.
On ya Kingy  :thumbsup

Nice of the Herald-Sun to release the police boot camp story today lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
Nice of the Herald-Sun to release the police boot camp story today lol.

Nice of RFC to finally catch on why players at other clubs have progressed quicker than ours in the past.

Winning games may give players/teams confidence, but what happens when the wins are few and far between?

By having these sorts of experiences to fall back on, players will already know the sort of ability they and their teammates have to persist, persevere and push through tough times.

Relying on players to develop simply through playing games and gaining experience puts them behind the majority of other clubs, who go out of their way to give their players experiences that get them to find out about themselves (and their teammates) and their ability, at a rate that fast-tracks their progress and level of maturity, as individuals and players.

This sort of thing alone doesn’t give our players an edge over other teams, or guarantee anything, but at least it’s a step in the right direction, and gives them a better chance of gradually catching up with the better equipped teams.

Glory be.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.