Author Topic: Top 5 best ever Tigers?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Top 5 best ever Tigers?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »
Mike's on 3aw now saying he isn't anti-Richo but Richo get knocks down because he's flawed in one area of the game (goalkicking). Yet he has Riewoldt at No.4 in his top 50 whose goalkicking is just as dodgy when it comes to crunch goals that need to be kicked. Richo also averages 3 goals per game compared to Reiwoldt's 2.

Russell said Richo was the dominant player with 5 goals and Mike goes "oh but he kicked them late". When the flying fish does it matter when you kick the goals when the game is still up for grabs  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »
Sheenan is a total wanker dont take any notice of him

top 5 tigers  :thumbsup  l was wondering how close Dale Weightman would go in his era
battling desease & dominating his position in State of origin football for Victoria & for Richmond
l hold this tiger high on my list at a time when there was many top footballers around

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

top 5 tigers  :thumbsup  l was wondering how close Dale Weightman would go in his era
battling desease & dominating his position in State of origin football for Victoria & for Richmond
l hold this tiger high on my list at a time when there was many top footballers around
The Flea did hold the record for a very long time for the most amount of games played for Victoria, don`t know if he still does

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »

The Flea did hold the record for a very long time for the most amount of games played for Victoria, don`t know if he still does
Flea played 20 SOO games.

Dale Weightman

Birth: October 3, 1959
Recruited from: Mildura Imperials
Height and weight: 170cm/69kg

Debut: 1 April 1978, Richmond vs. Carlton, at M.C.G.

275 games, 345 goals  (1978-1993)

Richmond Premiership player: 1980
Richmond Captain: 1998-92
Richmond Best and Fairest 1986, 1987
Victorian Representative: 20 times
Victorian Captain: 1987, 1988, 1990
All Australian: 1985, 1986, 1988
EJ Whitten Medal: 1986, 1990
Simpson Medal: 1985
Tassie Medal: 1985
Richmond Team of the Century
Richmond - Hall of Fame - inducted 2002
Australian Football Hall of Fame Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Weightman

bushranger

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »
Dale Weightman would be in my list. But in the worse list wouldn't you have to include a lame excuse of a captain like Kane Johnson in it, I know I would and he would be on top of it.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
Richo isn't top 5 at Richmond unless popularity and entertainment value are part of your criteria for greatness. They aren't for me.

Richo is clearly behind all these players:

1. Jack Dyer
2. Kevin Bartlett
3. Royce Hart
4. Jack Titus
5. Roy Wright
6. Francis Bourke
7. Dale Weightman

After that it becomes arguable.

But I'd still have the likes of Ian Stewart, Wayne Campbell and Matthew Knights ahead of him as well.

richmondrules

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »

But I'd still have the likes of Ian Stewart, Wayne Campbell and Matthew Knights ahead of him as well.

Ian Stewart Yes. The other two I am not so sure about but I suppose that's why it's arguable.  :D

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »

Ian Stewart Yes. The other two I am not so sure about but I suppose that's why it's arguable.  :D

You could make a case for Richo over Campbell and Knights, definitely. Stewart was undoubtebly a better player, but he didn't play as long as Richo, and so if longevity means anything, Richo has to trump him on that criteria and so it becomes close.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »
And that your honour rests the defence for Cambo ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »
And that your honour rests the defence for Cambo ;D.

Did you like the way I just slipped Cambo in after Ian Stewart, as if he was on the same level and belongs in the same sentence as him ?  :thumbsup

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »
If you dont have a premiership medal, you're not in the top 5.

Flea has to be in anyone's top 5 ahead of Richo. So would Disco

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
My 2 bob's worth.

I reckon there are 4 untouchables - Dyer, Bartlett, Bourke and Hart.  When you consider the number of games they played, match winning ability, captaincy, coaching, best & fairest's, premierships etc they stand out.  Number 5 is not so cut and dried.  Richo, Weightman, Titus, Wright, Knights, Stewart, Roach, Campbell all have a strong case but some shortfalls when comparing them to the first 4.  I think that considering achievements over a long career it's probably hard to go past Titus for number 5, beating Weightman by a short half head in a photo.

And as an interesting side fact, Titus played at full forward in a career spanning 18 seasons for 294 games (a stack of them were consecutive) and 970 goals - he was 175cm tall and weighed 66kgs!  All this in an era when the toughest men played and ruled.  And guess what his jumper number was for his whole career - 12!
 :clapping

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

A personal favourite of mine was ruckman Michael Green.

148 games, 83 goals and four flags (67, 69, 73 and 74)

:cheers

Moi

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

A personal favourite of mine was ruckman Michael Green.

148 games, 83 goals and four flags (67, 69, 73 and 74)

:cheers
Such a hard job to judge players, especially of our premiership eras.
He was a great player, Mike, and overlooked a lot of times when he shouldn't  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »
Totally agree Green is a great but the fact that he missed a season in 72 b/c of his business interests and the Blues beat us in the Grannie may be something that those that judge these things may hold against him.
Roger Dean for me is another one stayed loyal in the bad times and was a captain of a premiership team that won from 4th  loyal unassuming never took a backward step with leadership skills to boot. :thumbsup