Author Topic: Strong winds chaos in Melbourne  (Read 4142 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Strong winds chaos in Melbourne
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
They're going to close the West Gate and Bolte Bridges shortly due to the high winds :o.

Winds cause transport chaos with people advised to stay indoorsGareth Trickey with AAP
April 02, 2008 01:59pm

PEOPLE in Melbourne on unnecessary business have been advised to head for home, with road, rail and air routes severely disrupted by storm-force winds.

Connex spokesman John Rees said that falling debris on tracks and power lines has disrupted services across the rail network and advised commuters to monitor developments at the Connex website.

The West Gate Bridge is now down to two lanes in either direction, with trucks and caravans banned, and is expected to fully close shortly.

The Bolte Bridge has restricted access, with high-sided vehicles, caravans and motorbikes banned. It is also expected to close soon.

The Domain tunnel is down to two lanes to help manage traffic heading across the West Gate Bridge.

Flights in and out of Melbourne Airport are expected to be delayed as winds approach 50 knots in the area.

Widespread gusts from 90 to 110 km/h are expected across Victoria, with localised gusts to 130 km/h over south-western and central parts of Victoria by late morning and in Gippsland by mid-afternoon.

Maximum gusts around 150 km/h are likely over alpine regions.

A water police spokeswoman said recreational boating was not recommended on the bay today, with winds of about 45 knots reported.

Full article at:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23471107-661,00.html

bushranger

Re: Strong winds chaos in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
Yer we have got the winds here to and its blowing a dust storm where you can't see for more than 5 meters in front of you. And worst of all is that dust is all you can taste due to it being so thick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »
We've been a lot luckier than other areas but one corner of the fence in our backyard came apart and had to be hammered all back together  :P. We missed out on the dust storm as it bucketed down.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
We've been a lot luckier than other areas but one corner of the fence in our backyard came apart and had to be hammered all back together  :P. We missed out on the dust storm as it bucketed down.
Well around the corner from you, no damage at all  :thumbsup
We have no electricity downstairs - but upstairs we do (don't know why lol)
Drove home at 2pm, hardly any wind but everywhere else there was according to radio reports.
Got home in record time as well - didn't seem to be anyone driving and just breezed (pardon pun lol) home.
I am amazed we were left unscathed as the area I live in was one of the worst hit.
Not complaining, just amazed.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:04:42 PM »

I'm on the south east side of a hill so miss most of the heavy weather (which comes from the north or the west)

The wind has wreaked havoc at work but hopefully all will be back in place by the time students return on Monday.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »
Well around the corner from you, no damage at all  :thumbsup
We have no electricity downstairs - but upstairs we do (don't know why lol)
Drove home at 2pm, hardly any wind but everywhere else there was according to radio reports.
Got home in record time as well - didn't seem to be anyone driving and just breezed (pardon pun lol) home.
I am amazed we were left unscathed as the area I live in was one of the worst hit.
Not complaining, just amazed.

We had no probs indoors as the only other thing that happened was the radio was cutting in and out between 1 and 3pm.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »
Shocking winds in the West.

Nearly lost the side fence but it is still standing but swayed enough to force the side gate open and allowed young Jonty to venture out in the big wide world until he was stopped in his paw tracks by our neighbour across the road. Princess Max remained in her castle
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
My Dad had a tree branch go through his roof.  He got through to the SES around 6.30pm and the power came on a couple of hours later. 

Moi

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
Still without power to half the house  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »
That's dreadful. The power problems aren't meant to be down our way  ???.

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:35:10 AM »

check your fuse box  ;D
maybe you got more than one phase on your house like mine l'm the only one in my street with more than one phase coming in & sometimes when power goes down l can still get power to 1/4 of my living room so the big screen is connected to that point incase its footy day
we lost power here for hours then it came on then back off for hours again
glad to report no damage here but the winds were mad & the rain was great just what we needed
alot of damage around our area broken powerlines from huge trees some last night still had no power at 10.45pm a day & half without power

Moi

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 06:38:07 AM »

check your fuse box  ;D
maybe you got more than one phase on your house like mine l'm the only one in my street with more than one phase coming in & sometimes when power goes down l can still get power to 1/4 of my living room so the big screen is connected to that point incase its footy day
we lost power here for hours then it came on then back off for hours again
glad to report no damage here but the winds were mad & the rain was great just what we needed
alot of damage around our area broken powerlines from huge trees some last night still had no power at 10.45pm a day & half without power
Yep, that's the case, Tigermonk, upstairs is on a different phaser.
But the rest of the street is out as well, so the bottom phaser still isn't working.
Pain in the bum :banghead although I feel sorry for people who are totally without power for that long.
Makes you wonder what they did in MJS's childhood without electricity  :shh
 :rollin