Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 30. Luke Weller  (Read 1443 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 30. Luke Weller
« on: August 19, 2004, 02:43:37 AM »
As the season is now about judging who stays or goes at the end of the year, thought we might have a look at each player who is on a knife's edge and get opinions until the end of the season.

What should happen to Weller? Does he have a future?

--------------------------------------------------

Weller playing for future
2:06:48 PM Wed 18 August, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Versatile Richmond big man Luke Weller admits he is playing for his AFL future over the remaining fortnight of the season as the Tiger players prepare themselves for what shapes as a major review of the playing list.

With Terry Wallace set to take over as coach in 2005 and the Tigers having lost their past 12 games - their worst run of outs ever in a single season - Weller is just one of many Richmond players who will be under pressure to maintain their place on the list for next season.

The 22-year-old has managed just five games for the Tigers in an injury-plagued debut season at Punt Road, after joining the club from reigning premiers Brisbane this season.

Weller's one year contract - after being picked up in last year's pre-season draft - is up for renewal and he knows big performances in the last two games - against Hawthorn and Sydney - are vital as he seeks to kick-start his career with the Tigers.

"I guess you could look at it like that," he said, when asked if he was playing for his future at Punt Road over the last two weeks of the home and away season.

"Everyone will be reviewed at the end of the season."

"I haven't spoken to anyone about next year yet I just want to put my best foot forward over the last two weeks of the season and then speak to the necessary people."

Such pressure on individual players is common at all AFL clubs at this time of year - as clubs begin reviewing their lists - but even more so at a club like Richmond, which has struggled in 2004.

Weller says he has enjoyed his first year in Melbourne, except for the injuries which cost him the chance to establish himself in the team.

After an excellent performance in the Tigers' round six win over Hawthorn, he played the next two games but did his hamstring against the Bulldogs in round eight.

After returning in the VFL with Coburg, Weller injured the hamstring again and only returned to the seniors for last week's game against Adelaide - where he picked up 14 touches in a solid display.

Now he is not only desperate to consolidate his place in the side over the last two rounds but to win this week's wooden spoon battle against Hawthorn at the MCG on Sunday.

"No-one likes finishing last but we are trying not to think about the game in that way," he said.

"It would be just great to get a win on the board, especially for (soon-to-be-departing coach) Danny (Frawley)."

"Danny has given me an opportunity this year and it would be great to repay him with a win on Sunday."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=166483
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

Re: Yeah or Neah - 30. Luke Weller
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 07:59:19 AM »
I think that Weller has something to offer us, i said it after a practise match against Carlton on a friday afternoon. We were really stuggling and Weller came onto the half forward flank and really gave us a target and provided good attack on the ball.

Sure his kicking needs a bit of work, but i think he is prepared to put in the extra time to work on it. He defensive skills across half forward dont allow the ball to get out of our F50 easily which is a bonus. There are plenty to go before him and i am sure we would resign for a year on a min. base contract.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 08:30:37 AM »
It is so hard to judge this bloke (along with Morrison) because of the way he has been "handled". When he's played and had plenty of time on the ground he has been good. The games were he has played 5 minutes a quarter he has been "ordinary".

I would give him another year (just) - there are a few more who should be flicked before him
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:08:53 AM »
slow, and just doesnt have the level of skill or fitness required for the AFL, however he has been handled poorly by Dud and his cronies....

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 09:33:42 AM »
While his performance against Adelaide was encouraging, he really hasnt been given consecutive weeks to perform.
He is extremely slow and his skill lacks....

I think that there is no room for both Weller and Morrison and one has to go....if I had to choose then I say we keep Weller
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:20:36 AM »
Once again another player that we really have seen little of, due to duds like hoola hoops and casper getting games.