Author Topic: Wallace's aftermatch media conference  (Read 2316 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rich pickings in defeat for Wallace (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 02:52:24 AM »
Rich pickings in defeat for Wallace
Herald-Sun | Rebecca Williams | April 28, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace praised the Tigers' new-found intensity after they finished within 12 points of a Hawthorn unit he described as playing the "next generation of footy" last night.

While Hawthorn's inaccuracy allowed Richmond to stay in the twilight clash at the MCG, Wallace said he could not fault the tenacity of his side against the unbeaten Hawks.

"I could not be more pleased with the blokes that are playing in the senior side at the moment," Wallace said.

"We've played two of the best three sides in the competition and we are 12 points down over a fortnight.

"From that point of view, we only had two points out of the last two weeks, but it's certainly a change to the manner in which our blokes are going about their footy.

"Their ferocity has improved enormously and their real will and desire is there, but we just have to tidy up a couple of things and hopefully we can play some pretty good footy in the next couple of weeks.

"The signs are pretty reasonable. If they put that intensity into games, we'll win as many as we lose, that's for sure."

Wallace dismissed talk the Tigers, who had 227 handballs for the game, had fallen into the trap of over-using the ball as they did against Collingwood three weeks ago.

"Hawthorn play a different style of play than nearly any other side in the competition," Wallace said.

"They are the best drilled team I have seen in the last six or seven years, probably since Sydney played a different style to everyone else.

"Hawthorn has taken the game to another level and that's a credit to their coaching staff. What they are doing is getting the game played on their terms week-in, week-out and that's the difficulty when you come up against them.

"It's the next generation of footy and no wonder (Alastair Clarkson) wants to have lock-out sessions because he is doing things that other people aren't doing at the moment."

Wallace lauded the contribution of veteran Matthew Richardson, who again enjoyed being able to roam the field to finish with the impressive figures of four goals, 27 disposals and 13 marks.

"To see the amount of work that he is doing is quite amazing," Wallace said.

"That's why he has been such a great athlete in the game. I think he is enjoying the ability to get around the ground and compete like that and he is playing some pretty good footy.

"Obviously another four goals as a wingman is not a bad effort. He is getting as many now as what he was really getting as a key forward for us."

Wallace would not speculate on when veteran backman Joel Bowden might get back in the senior team after playing the last three games in the VFL.

"That's a match committee discussion, that's not for public consumption," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23607684-19742,00.html

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Wallace's aftermatch media conference
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »
Umpire #10 X the biggest cheating bastard, he started it from early 1st quarter
dont worry cousin Geishien will be getting a phone call this week the fat prick

We were massacared by the umpires.

It doesn't help when experienced players like Newman consistently tackle high, but in general they got the 50-50s. Can't believe Simmo got pinged for a 50 when the whistle hadn't been blown for a mark and then up the other end the umpire doesn't give a 50 because the late Hawk "wouldn't have heard the whistle".

This is where a bit of positive PR goes a long way - Hawks are currently the darlings and there soon-to-be superstar team can do no wrong. On the other hand we are battlers in the umpires eyes and scrap our way through the game. Good to see a few positive articles out there this morning.

blx

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
blaming umpires for a loss is peeweak. get over it.

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:33:03 AM »
4 of thier goals come from bad umpiring  :shh

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
A great four quarter effort from the team and tremendous coaching from TW! :thumbsup

I was particularly impressed by TW tactic to drop a big player (ie Richo, Polak, Patto) back into 'Buddies pocket' and forcing their forwards wide thus their low conversion rate.

The fact that TW had to change his game plan three times during the game to find a method to hamper the Hawks aggressive style adds more evidence to the fact that TW is a very good game day coach.

All in all I am very impressed with the progress of the team, style of play and culture at the club that has been growing over the year.

Here is hoping it continues :pray

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
A great four quarter effort from the team and tremendous coaching from TW! :thumbsup

I was particularly impressed by TW tactic to drop a big player (ie Richo, Polak, Patto) back into 'Buddies pocket' and forcing their forwards wide thus their low conversion rate.

The fact that TW had to change his game plan three times during the game to find a method to hamper the Hawks aggressive style adds more evidence to the fact that TW is a very good game day coach.

All in all I am very impressed with the progress of the team, style of play and culture at the club that has been growing over the year.

Here is hoping it continues :pray

Stripes
Post of the week Stripes!  :thumbsup

Many people have not paid enough respect to how good Hawthorn actually are and how hard EVERY side is finding it to shut them down.  We made them work bloody hard for 4 quarters and in the end they still didn't shake us.  We might not have played aesthetically pleasing or mistake free football but we reacted, coached and played in a manner that we needed to get a job done.  Their crap conversion was due in no small part to the game we forced them to play (our terms - good thing), we forced them wide and made them jump through hoops for an easy shot, and the large majority of their misses were from out wide on the 50 - percentage-wise the best we could hope for.

We had a plan, when it failed we reacted quickly and went to another plan, when that worked we very nearly beat a competition leader.  Not bad for our young side still learning - we have had a few good, confronting lessons in recent weeks and that's a good thing.

richmondrules

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
we have had a few good, confronting lessons in recent weeks and that's a good thing.

Would be nice to have a win to give the young kids a feeling of achieving something. Fingers crossed St Kilda. I don't think Geelong will be any easier proposition than the Hawks.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 03:40:16 PM »
we have had a few good, confronting lessons in recent weeks and that's a good thing.

Would be nice to have a win to give the young kids a feeling of achieving something. Fingers crossed St Kilda. I don't think Geelong will be any easier proposition than the Hawks.

I agree and unless we have improved dramatically expect a 50 point loss to the Cats...if we are lucky :(

Stripes