Author Topic: Moore learns from playing on Buddy (RFC)  (Read 1013 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Moore learns from playing on Buddy (RFC)
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »
Moore learns from playing on Buddy
Russell Holmesby
11:44 AM Mon 28 April, 2008

RICHMOND’S Kelvin Moore knows better than most that the lot of a backman is not an easy one.

When he perfectly timed a lunge to spoil Lance Franklin, Moore had to watch on helplessly as the ball spilled free for Cyril Rioli to swoop on it and kick a goal.

Moore tackled football’s biggest job, minding Lance Franklin, despite having painful memories of a previous encounter.

“I played on him a couple of years ago and I think he nearly kicked the goal of the year on me,” said Moore after Sunday’s game.

“I was keen for that not to happen again. He’s very hard to play on, he’s so quick and they go to him all the time. He’s so tall and he has all the attributes that make up a good footballer.”

Moore was happy that he was able to stick to his guns against the competition’s emerging superstar, but was realistic enough to acknowledge that his day could have been made much worse if Franklin had kicked straight and had a better return than 1.7.

“I was lucky he didn’t kick straight, and we tried to force him wide. You can’t kick goal of the week from the boundary. For him to come out with one goal which he got over the back in the goal square was a good result for us.”

Moore says that Franklin’s recovery was excellent.

“A few times he dashed through the middle and I didn’t have much hope of catching him.”

At one stage Franklin bolted through the centre.

“I had a go at grabbing him, but he just went straight past me. The umpire said he ran too far so I think I owe the umpire a box of chocolates for that.”

Moore said that his own performance was good for his self belief.

“We’ll go through my game on the tape during the week and see where he got me and where I got him. I’m sure I’ll get a lot out of playing on the best forward in the competition. You learn from what works and what doesn’t.”

Moore says that he benefited from the assistance given by Matthew Richardson who operated off a wing and dropped back in front of Franklin. In the second half Graham Polak took over the role.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=58640

Tigermonk

Re: Moore learns from playing on Buddy (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
Moore did a good job harrassing Franklin
Franklin went to peices under preasure,  his a confidence player & when that confidence is put under the preasure he buckled
l dont reckon his as good as everyone is making out.  its easy being a receiver of the ball.
l dont rate him in the Carey mold at all.  A few more injuries like his damaged wing yesterday will be the end of boy Buddy  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
Dunno about Moore. He goes alright but not yet sold.

If you look at the clubs on top of the ladder those 3rd tall defenders needs to be quite good - Enright/Mackie, Birchall types seem to have abit more run.

One would hope Moore continues to inprove, but the like of JON/Rance push a similar spot.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »
Franklin went to peices under preasure,  his a confidence player & when that confidence is put under the preasure he buckled
l dont reckon his as good as everyone is making out.  its easy being a receiver of the ball.
l dont rate him in the Carey mold at all.  A few more injuries like his damaged wing yesterday will be the end of boy Buddy  ;D

Brilliant post Monk  :thumbsup

Agree 150%+

Post of the week

Does Buddy know what a contested possession actually is

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:57:05 PM »

Agree 150%+

Post of the week

Buddy - handy player
Judd - handy player
Bradman - not a bad average
Tiger Woods - plays off scratch
Schumacher - handy driver
Gretzky - good ice skater

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
I'm really impressed with the development of our backline at the moment. We have a 'Back-team' forming who are starting to work together to defeat forwards rather than a group of individuals. The best part is that we are becoming unpredictable across the ground which makes us far more difficult to plan against.

With Bowden absent Newman would be our oldest defender at 25 with Moore and Kingy next at 23. Amazing really especially considering that Rance and Gourdis, who both looks extremely promising, are being groomed for the backhalf as well.

We are finally starting to develop both talent and depth

And who said dreams don't come true..... :cheers

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »

Agree 150%+

Post of the week

Monks on fire I just gave him post of the week for another post in another thread.  :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »
Thought Moore and our other defenders did well blocking Buddy's right side so he couldn't easily swing onto his left like he loves to do.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd