Author Topic: Royal and Cambo to do a senior coach development course  (Read 709 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Royal and Cambo to do a senior coach development course
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:54:02 AM »
Assisting the assistants in the AFL coach race
Mark Stevens | May 02, 2008

AS THE new Gold Coast club starts its hunt for a coach, potential candidates are preparing like never before.

A nominated assistant coach from every AFL club is about to be put through a groundbreaking development program.

The program, which includes psychometric testing now strongly favoured by clubs, is being facilitated by the beefed-up AFL Coaches' Association.

Not only will the assistants involved receive an immediate boost to their skill base, they will also be better prepared for job interviews and the next step into the senior realm.

Assistant coaches taking part include Brenton Sanderson (Geelong), Gavin Brown (Collingwood), Chris Scott (Fremantle), Wayne Campbell (Bulldogs), Anthony Rock (St Kilda), Brian Royal (Richmond), Gary O'Donnell (Essendon) and Justin Leppitsch (Brisbane Lions).

It is part of the AFLCA's pledge to create a more defined pathway for coaches under new chief executive Neale Daniher.

Royal, Tigers director of coaching, said last night the program would act as an ideal preparation for the senior selection process.

"Some of the clubs who employ senior coaches will want to do a similar process," Royal said.

"They're that in-depth these days. Clubs want to make sure they get this part of it right.

"From our point of view, as assistant coaches, we're looking at every avenue we can improve, regardless of how long you've been in the system for.

"I'm just looking at ways to improve myself."

Royal, a candidate for several senior jobs in the past, said he had not closed the door on taking the next step.

"My improvement's come from being involved in different clubs and different coaches. I've gained enormous improvement from moving from club to club.

"But this is just another aspect."

Royal said it was a significant step for the AFLCA.

"All credit to Neale Daniher. He's trying to get this off the ground," Royal said.

"The AFLCA has been around for a long time, but in the past it probably hasn't done a lot for assistant coaches.

"I think the association feels it needs to do more for assistant coaches."

The program starts with coaches completing a range of questionnaires and tests aimed at giving an insight into leadership style, cognitive ability (learning and problem solving) and verbal reasoning (putting together strong arguments and drawing logical conclusions from information).

All feedback from the program, which will run until the final evaluation in September, will remain confidential between the coach and the company overseeing the process.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23632656-19742,00.html

richmondrules

Re: Royal and Cambo to do a senior coach development course
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »
Doggies must hold Campbell in high regard.

Royal will look a bit like Ol' Man River in amongst all those youngsters.  :rollin

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
hey monk what are your thoughts about campbo!!!???   :-)

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »
 ;D