Author Topic: Memorable Moment #15: The Queen visits the Tigers  (Read 4928 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Memorable Moment #15: The Queen visits the Tigers
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:29 AM »
AFL's 150 greatest moments - No.49
Herald-Sun | May 07, 2008

IT WAS April in 1970 and Paul McCartney had just announced the official split of the Beatles. But Australia had hardly noticed, it had a big dose of royal fever.

The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Princess Anne were on an extensive tour of Australia to help the nation celebrate the bi-centenary of Captain James Cook's journey up the east coast in 1770.

It was a popular tour and the royals even went to the MCG on April 5 for a Fitzroy v Richmond match that had been moved to a Sunday for the first time.

The game attracted almost 40,000 fans and the appearance of the royals at halftime brought them to their feet.

Players from both sides went off and many showered before returning to the field to meet Queen Elizabeth II and family during halftime.

One royal excited to be at the MCG was teenager Princess Anne, who reportedly said to Tiger star Billy Barrot:

"I understand there were a couple of punch-ups before we got here. Do you think there'll be any more?"

Barrot's reply remains a mystery.

The Lions won the game 16.20 (116) to Richmond's 14.12 (96).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23657535-19742,00.html

Moi

Re: Memorable Moment #15: The Queen visits the Tigers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:49:30 AM »
I've still got the newspaper clips from this game.
We unfurled our 1969 flag that day and, of course, we lost it lol
And I was there

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Memorable Moment #15: The Queen visits the Tigers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
And I was there
Did you wave your hand outside the window of the Rolls Royce to the plebs as it was driven around the boundary  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd