Author Topic: Premierships of the century  (Read 5729 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Premierships of the century
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »
PREMIERSHIPS OF THE CENTURY

Captain-coach Dan Minogue, Vic Thorp, Max Hislop, 'Checker' Hughes, Donald Don, George Bayliss, Hugh James, Barney Herbert, and Clarrie Hall, were major players in Richmond’s first VFL premiership year in 1920. The Tigers lost to Carlton in the second-semi, but rose to the challenge in the Grand Final, downing Collingwood by 17 points.

Richmond went back-to-back under Minogue in '21... The Tigers finished in second place after the home-and-away rounds, destroyed Geelong in the semi-final, beat Carlton in the preliminary, and then triumphed over the Blues again in the Grand Final, which was played in atrocious conditions. Hislop, James and Minogue were the stars for the Tigers, who won by four points.   .

Dual premiership player 'Checker' Hughes was coach in '32 when Richmond broke a frustrating run of Grand Final losses, to take home its third VFL flag. The Tigers, who had been in front all match, lost the lead late in the final term, but steadied through Doug Strang, who kicked one of his four goals, to go on and win by nine points.

Percy Bentley took over as Richmond's captain-coach in 1934 and he provided exemplary leadership. The Tigers also received great drive from the likes of Titus, Martin, Geddes, McCormack, Bolger, the Strang brothers and a young Jack Dyer. Richmond steam rolled Geelong by 84 points in the second semi, then cruised home by 39 points over South Melbourne in the Grand Final.

Jack Dyer was the Tigers' captain-coach in 1943 and they finished on top after the home-and-away series, only to lose to Essendon in the second-semi. Richmond rebounded to beat Fitzroy in the preliminary and earn another crack at the Dons in the Grand Final. With teenager Max Oppy curbing champion Essendon rover Dick Reynolds, and Dick Harris booting seven goals, the Tigers won by five points.

Richmond, under coach Tommy Hafey, finished the 1967 home-and-away season on top. The Tigers disposed of Carlton by 40 points in the second-semi, then faced up to a star-studded Geelong combination in the Grand Final. At the end of a spectacular contest, Richmond had broken a 24-yearpremiership drought. Barrot, Brown, Hart, Dean and Bartlett starred, while unsung hero Ronaldson kicked three vital goals.

The Tigers staged a whirlwind finish to the 1969 home-and-away season to clinch a finals berth. They then annihilated Geelong by 118 points in the first-semi and put Collingwood out of business in the, preliminary, to set up a showdown with Carlton in the big one. A record Grand Final crowd of 119,165 saw Richmond triumph by 25'points, with young ruckman Michael Green dominant.

Revenge was uppermost on Richmond's mind as it entered the '73 finals series. The Tigers, stunned by Carlton in the previous year's Grand Final, were determined to make amends. After a loss to Carlton in the qualifying final, Richmond recovered to beat St Kilda and Collingwood and earn another crack at the Blues. In a torrid encounter, it was the ferocious Tigers by 30 points.

The Tigers won 17 of their 22 home-and-away games in '74 to finish on top; and rolled into a third straight Grand Final, beating North Melbourne by 21 points in the second-semi. Two weeks later, Richmond met North again, in the Grand Final. It was tight early, but Richmond seized control wIth a seven-goal second quarter, and ran away to a 41-point victory.

A rampant Richmond finished in second place after the 1980 home-and-away season, but saved its very best for the finals. With Kevin Bartlett in outstanding form, the Tigers thrashed Carlton, then beat Geelong in the second-semi to roar into the Grand Final, where they confronted Collingwood. It was a one-horse race, Bartlett booting seven goals in Richmond's thumping 81-point win.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Premierships of the century
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »
Damn!  ;D I answered the other thread too soon.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

richmondrules

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
'67. The drought breaker. Exactly what we are looking for at the moment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »
1980. Nothing better than smashing the Pies in a Granny  :thumbsup.

Around 2011-12 would be nice too  :pray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
73 for me.

Rebuilt a lot of the side from 67 & 69 (particularly the big men)

Came back after the humiliation of 72 with avengence, and made a statement with absolute authority.

3 premierships on 1 day = total domination

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:28 AM »
Almost went for 69, being the year i was bought kicking and screeming into this world, and have done a lot of it since being a Tiges supporter. But ultimatley had to go 80 for the same reason as MT.
NOTHING better than rolling Collingwood in the GF. Especially what was then a record margin. :clapping :clapping

Moi

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:59 AM »
'67. The drought breaker. Exactly what we are looking for at the moment.
Always a toss up between '80 and '67 for me.
The '67 was such an emotional game.  It was just like if we won one now after all these years of premiership drought and PAIN, with a capital P.
It was also a good game, unlike the Pies game which was a bit of one-way traffic.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the Geelong game had more stars, better competition than the Pies game.  You look back and watch the video of that game and the footy was so stagnant and not free-flowing like today, but it was still a great contest.
'67 for me  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »
Another reason I went for 1980 was that side throughout the year was a scoring machine. Almost 400 goals during the H/A season and another 55 in 3 finals. 

73 for me.

3 premierships on 1 day = total domination

4 flags in one day if you count Richmond's U17's side Essex Heights.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
1974 for me. With a pseudo name like mine would I go for anything different and after some subtle cajouling as a kid seemed more than apt to support the team that won the flag in the year of my birth.
Back to back flags after the footy world hated our guts and wanted to put us down
and sink the boot in. Tall poppy syndrome I guess.
Windy Hill Brawl suspension and fines to G Richmond
Shenanigans on Brownlow night after Keith Greig won the Brownlow and KB had won all the media and television awards.
North those characterless nobodies getting all that sympathy support on Grand Final Day only to be steamrolled in the second half by a team of the 70's. The only team to go back to back in that decade. Too Rough Too Tough Too Gruff Too Good Too Right. :thumbsup