Author Topic: Have we missed Ottens?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Have we missed Ottens?
« on: August 22, 2004, 06:41:36 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows, from a statistical point of view, whether we have fared worse in the clearances since Brad Ottens got injured.

We are no doubt getting pumped in the ruck with Marsh and Hall filling in, but it will be interesting to see whether we have done worse in terms of clearances from when we had Ottens getting his 30 tap outs a week.

froars

Re: Have we missed Ottens?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 07:20:48 PM »
From my memory of Ottens this year, he got a lot of hit outs, but generally the opposition cleared the ball
Do we miss him?  I don't.
But having said that, isn't Marsh the biggest load of useless space?  It's really painful watching these guys play their last couple of games.  Can't we call an end it this round and not play next week?
Just a thought.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 07:25:31 PM »
About midway through the year (July 5th) when I last looked we were top 2 in ball-up and throw-in clearances and 7th overall in the league in overall clearances. Looks like there has been a dramatic fall-off since both Otto and Stafford have been missing.

Hitouts:

total - Last in league
Centre Bounces - Last
Ball-ups - 15th
Throw-ins - Last

Clearances:

Total  - 15th
Centre Bounces  - 12th
Ball-ups - 8th
Throw-ins - 11th

July 5th:

Overall Hitouts: 3rd
Centre Bounce Hit Outs: 7th
Throw In Hit Outs: 1st
Ball Up Hit Outs: 2nd

Overall Clearances: 7th
Centre Bounce Clearances: 15th
Ball Up Clearances: 2nd
Throw In Clearances: 1st

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/

On thing I noticed today from the commentary was that Marsh kept tapping to the opposition which is something Otto gets criticized for. I find it a big coincidence that all our ruckman are that dumb. To me it sounds like the blame lies at our midfield set-up and our brainiac coaches  ::).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 07:28:04 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 07:27:17 PM »
lol, froars, was thinking the same thing a second ago. Even though there's only one week to go, watching our duds do their thing is too embarassing to go through.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 07:36:37 PM »
Interesting stats MT. I find it hard to fathom how we could have been 7th in the league for clearances midway through the year when we were on the end of some of the most awful shallackings during that period. But there you go, the stats don't lie.

froars

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 07:38:53 PM »
Were those clearances from Ottens ruck taps or the opposition's lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 07:41:11 PM »
But having said that, isn't Marsh the biggest load of useless space? 

Our new Wayne Thornborrow. Summed up when we were only 7 pts down in the third quarter and we had all the momentum. Dropped the simplest of marks that you wouldn't even see in the little league. Hawks take it up the other end for a goal and regain control  :banghead.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 07:47:41 PM »
I'd rather have another rover play for us than Marsh be there. Even if that means making David Rodan contest the ruck.

LMFAO@that dropped chest mark. He did kick a nice goal at least. Not that he isn't a massive dud, just saying...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »
Interesting stats MT. I find it hard to fathom how we could have been 7th in the league for clearances midway through the year when we were on the end of some of the most awful shallackings during that period. But there you go, the stats don't lie.

That "7th" figure is misleading. It was an average of our hopelessness in generating centre-bounce clearances and good around the ground clearances at that time. The former is more improtant. Add to that when we did clear the ball we would just give it back to the opposition most of the time. No turnover stats are provided. We'd be numero uno by a mile. So that fits in with the shallackings we copped. Now we're just plain crap everywhere  :P

lol froars. You're probably right  ;)  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:45:34 PM by mightytiges »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:06:14 AM »

On thing I noticed today from the commentary was that Marsh kept tapping to the opposition which is something Otto gets criticized for. I find it a big coincidence that all our ruckman are that dumb. To me it sounds like the blame lies at our midfield set-up and our brainiac coaches  ::).

I don't think it is all our ruckmen either. Our centre square set-up is dumb. We usually start all our mid-fielders equal with or behind the ruckman to "swoop" on the hit out running forward - great in theory if you get a clear go at the ball but opposition teams are on to us and the match up accordingly. We rarely change it and when we do we move only one player over to cover 2 or sometimes 3 opponents. It is dumb.

Have we missed Ottens? We certainly did yesterday because we had no-one physically strong enough or quick enough to play on Everiit. Though, I will say being there at watching it - Marsh did alot better than Hall :o ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:08:31 AM »
You will find the we are the only club in the league not to have a ruck coach.!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:09 AM »
You will find the we are the only club in the league not to have a ruck coach.!

Budget restraints  ;)

What are our chances of getting Scott Wynd back to the Club :help
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:57:49 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 10:56:35 AM »
From my memory of Ottens this year, he got a lot of hit outs, but generally the opposition cleared the ball

THANK YOU.....

We miss Staff...not Ottens. Who wants a ruckman who taps it to the opposition every time?

:thumbsup To Frawley for keeping Hall on Everitt for 2.5 quarters while Marsh was at least competitve.
 :thumbsup To Marsh for virtually shooting himself in the foot with that chest mark....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne