Author Topic: Best Individual Performance of the century  (Read 10851 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Best Individual Performance of the century
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
BEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES

JACK TITUS: 202 consecutive games, 970 career goals
Built more like a rover than a full-forward, Titus displayed wonderful talent and durability throughout an 18-year career with the Tigers (1926-43), kicking a Club record 970 goals and setting a league record of 202 consecutive games, which stood until 1996.

DOUG STRANG: 14 goals v North Melbourne, 1931
Strang booted an amazing 14 goals from full-forward for Richmond against North Melbourne at Punt Road on May 9, 1931, in just his second game of league football. It's an individual goal record, which still stands at Tigerland to this day...

JACK DYER: nine goals v Essendon, 1944 preliminary final
The famous Richmond captain-coach inspired his undermanned Tiger team to a gallant victory over Essendon in the 1944 preliminary final with an outstanding nine-goal performance, following his surprise switch to full-forward at the start of the game.

ROY WRIGHT: two Brownlow Medals
Overcame a sick childhood and late start to his football career, to write his name into the record books by winning two Brownlow Medals - in 1952 and 1954 - and establishing himself as one of the game's all-time great ruckmen.

TOMMY HAFEY: four premierships as coach
Took over the coaching reins at Richmond in 1966 and guided the Tigers through their most successful era in VFL/ AFL football, winning four premierships and achieving a 70% winning percentage during his 11-year coaching stint at Punt Road.

BILL BARROT: eight goals v Carlton, Round 19, 1969
The star centreman was shifted to full-forward midway through the second quarter of Richmond's must-win match against Carlton in the second-last round of the 1969 season, with the team struggling. He proceeded to kick eight goals in a brilliant display that lifted the Tigers to a memorable win.

MICHAEL GREEN: outstanding 1969 finals series
The young ruckman rose to the challenge magnificently in Richmond's 1969 finals campaign, controlling the centre bounces and dominating around the ground through his marking prowess. He was voted the Tigers' best player in their wins against Geelong, Collingwood, and then Carlton in the Grand Final.

KEVIN BARTLETT: 21 goals in 1980 finals series
Put his unique stamp on the 1980 finals series, kicking 21 goals as a half-forward in Richmond's three appearances, including a Grand Final-equalling bag of seven in the Grand Final massacre of the Magpies, which earned him the Norm Smith Medal for being best a field.

DAVID CLOKE: nine Brownlow Votes in his final three games
Scored a perfect nine Brownlow Medal votes in his final three games of AFL football, as a 36-year-old with Richmond in 1991. An eight-goal effort in his last match, against Carlton at the MCG, was a dream finish to his league career.

MATTHEW KNIGHTS: 1995 semi-final performance v Essendon   
Single-handedly kept the Tigers in the hunt in their cut-throat 1995 final against Essendon with a superb, inspirational first half of football, kicking three of the team’s four goals. His teammates responded in the second half, running right over the top of the Bombers.

Moi

Re: Best Individual Performance of the century
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »
Can't go past those four premiership cups  - Tommy  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
KB in 1980 for me. Best individual display by a Tiger I've ever seen.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
KB in 1980 for me. Best individual display by a Tiger I've ever seen.
How stiff was David Cloke to kick 6(?) in a GF and get overshadowed by someone else.
Yep, KB was amazing!

richmondrules

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
KB. I thought about Tommy but I can't get over him coaching the scum.

Moi

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
He was given the A from the Tiges wasn't he?
Not his fault
And got the Pies from wooden spooners to a GF i think in his first year there.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
Not his fault

Not officially sacked but Tommy found out two board members wanted him gone when the board had their vote on his future so he felt his time was up without unanimous support from the board. The wooden spoon Pies pounced and the rest is history. I wonder if those two clowns can show their face around the club for saying Tommy "only" won 4 flags in 11 seasons  ::). Geez we've had some utter morons in control of the club over the past 3 decades :banghead.

ps. Just on Clokey, he should have kicked more goals than KB in the 80 GF. He missed about 3 sitters.

richmondrules

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »
Not his fault

Yeah I know. But still, Collingwood? urrgh ... leaves a bad taste in my mouth just saying it. I love Tommy, don't get me wrong, but I was having trouble making a choice and that's what tipped the scales for me. Stupid maybe but there it is.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
Not his fault

Yeah I know. But still, Collingwood? urrgh ... leaves a bad taste in my mouth just saying it. I love Tommy, don't get me wrong, but I was having trouble making a choice and that's what tipped the scales for me. Stupid maybe but there it is.
Just think 1980 GF and you'll forgive him  :D. They knocked off Geelong who was our main threat and then they were too stuffed and an ordinary side anyway for the granny.

richmondrules

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »
Just think 1980 GF and you'll forgive him  :D. They knocked off Geelong who was our main threat and then they were too stuffed and an ordinary side anyway for the granny.

;D I forgave him a long time ago, but at the time I was only 10 and didn't understand about all the ins and outs and politics and stuff. All I knew was Hafey was our coach for as long as I had been alive and was now coaching dirt bag Collingwood. Difficult for a poor little boy to understand and accept. I understand it now but back then it made me sad and left a lasting  impression. :-[

Offline kingkingston

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
    • aussiesportsforum
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »
Knights vs Essendon was amazing, love seeing the Bombers get beaten and the way Matty Knights played that day was incredible

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
No Royce Hart?
Short memories.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
What about Gus Grahams game against Brisbane in 09? Was a effing beauty.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »
No Royce Hart?
Short memories.

Would have thought Royce Hart coming off the bench in the 73 Prelim with us 6 goals down at half time and we overrun the Skunks to make the GF and then go on and beat the Filth in the GF would have to be 6 quarters of footy that defined that era for us that ultimately led us to Back to Back Flags in 1974. :cheers :bow :thumbsup :) :clapping ;D :thatsgold :gotigers