Author Topic: Who's clogging your team's list? - Lyon  (Read 4070 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who's clogging your team's list? - Lyon
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
Clog and dagger
Garry Lyon
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:20am 

IT is about this time of the year that clubs out of the picture or next address what one football heavyweight described to me as “list clogging”.

That is, identify players sitting on club lists with no great prospect of enhancing their team’s chances of winning a flag.

On pure statistics they may be able to justify playing from one week to the next, but the harsh reality is their time has almost come and all they are effectively doing is tempting the club to continue playing them in the hope they may continue to make the club competitive now.

Ultimately, however, it is to the detriment of the club’s future.

And quite often, a list clogger can be drawing a significant salary, compromising the team’s ability to re-sign existing talent worthy of a wage increase, making them vulnerable to offers from other teams.

Richmond has finally hit on the right formula. Graham Polak was good last year for the Tigers, but Will Thursfield, Kelvin Moore and Jack Riewoldt are far more suited to the modern game. Alex Rance is a terrific pick-up who is also earmarked for a key post.

Greg Tivendale has been list clogging. His demotion to the VFL has allowed the Tigers to introduce the likes of Matthew White and Shane Edwards into the side and they haven’t looked back.

Interestingly, Joel Bowden appears to have been given one last chance to retain his place at Richmond. I had him pencilled in as a clogger. He may yet prove me wrong.

WHO’S CLOGGING YOUR TEAM’S LIST?

RICHMOND

Greg Tivendale
Graham Polak

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/thestars/index.php/heraldsun/comments/clog_and_dagger

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Who's clogging your team's list? - Lyon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
I wouldn't say Polak is clogging it.

There was no need for him or McGuane on Saturday night because we only had to stop Lloyd and Neagle.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
I wouldn't say Polak is clogging it.

There was no need for him or McGuane on Saturday night because we only had to stop Lloyd and Neagle.

agree with you there...polak is not a clogger...tiv on the other hand is..

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
true i agree with u both but i dont think polak has done much lately either

perhaps that something to do with being put in positions not suited but his kicking is average and to be honest i dont see much difference between he and Luke. in fact right now id go with Mcguane in the side.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
I would play Polak out of the square. He is tall and he marks. Polak FF.
Reiwoldt CHF.
Brown/Edwards/Cotchin/Tambling/Deledio/White running around.

Give Polak a month there and let him develop. He has been switched from postion very often. Hughes should be kicking bags in the 2's trying to take that postion.

McGaune CHB, ahead of Schultz and Rance.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
Order of 'Cloggers

1. Tiv
2. Petts
3. Bowden
4. Tuck
5. Johnson

That would be my definition of cloggers. Players who will not be around to help us challenge for a flag and are not standing out in our current team.

Just my opinion of course :)

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
 ;D

take Tuck & Johnson out of the side & watch us get killed in the centre

Bowden deserves to be in the side after playing a backman role that no-one else could do, he took the challenge & now needs time to resettle into the new role as his a very damaging player in the forward line cause he knows how to make space & atract the ball & deliver it in close
Tiv & petts have had a wake up call & will produce now they know

Tigermonk

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »
oh just to top off the thread here on Gary Lyon
if he is such a bright prick why is Melbourne the worst list in the league & have not made changes over the years

go figure  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »
;D

Couldn't have said it better myself TM.
Bowden deserves to be in the side after playing a backman role that no-one else could do, he took the challenge & now needs time to resettle into the new role as his a very damaging player in the forward line cause he knows how to make space & atract the ball & deliver it in close
Can't argue with any of this either.  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »
I reckon Gary is just clogging up the media with his tripe  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
;D

I agree with you Tigermonk in that we need players to block, shepherd and put their bodies on the line to create space for our younger talent. In saying that though I think Tuck hasn't the skill or pace when he does get the ball to be cemented into our long term midfield future. Similiarly Johnson is declining in form as the years progress and may well retire at the end of the year.

If you look at my list you will see I had Johnson at number 5 because I think he still has much to offer in terms of leadership and the occasional excellent game, but he is no match winner.

At the moment we have no one to replace them in the blocking/shepherding role which is why they remain but I think someone like Connors, Jackson and even Cogs may take over this role as the year progresses and definately next year.

Stripes

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
I reckon Gary is just clogging up the media with his tripe  ;D

Could not agree more. These guys have nothing better to do rather than write baseless and meaningless articles that serve no purpose other than take up a page in the paper that could have had a more newsworthy article.
Just for the record I agree with Stripes to a certain extent on our cloggers being blokes who more than likely won't be at the club next year or in the next 2 and take up a place on the list merely as back up.

Pettifer
Meyer
JON
Tivendale
Coughlan to a certain extent if his German mission proves to be fruitless club will have a big and painful decision to make come October.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »
JON and Meyer are first round draft picks in their 3rd and 4th year.

Why would you not give them more time when there are hacks like Howatt, Tivendale, Hyde, Pettifer etc. in front of them who are older and shown nothing for years on end.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
Agree on Howat and almost 100% agree on Hyde although he has played some good footy this year and kicked some important goals. I suppose if Howat was not suspended in rd 1 and missed 3 weeks then it would be Hyde in the firing line 100% as it seems that Cam and Hyde are fighting for the same possie in the side currently.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
Agree on Howat and almost 100% agree on Hyde although he has played some good footy this year and kicked some important goals. I suppose if Howat was not suspended in rd 1 and missed 3 weeks then it would be Hyde in the firing line 100% as it seems that Cam and Hyde are fighting for the same possie in the side currently.
I would have agreed last year but this year Hyde has re-invented himself as a tagger and as a result has much more value to our list than he did before.  Barring a mishap or major form drop-off I reckon he is pretty safe and not a list clogger.