Author Topic: What should our forwardline look like?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
What should our forwardline look like?
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
Who should be in our forwardline and how should they structure up?

Also...

We seem to have great depth in our midfield and backline but appear to have no real forwards.

Here is our current list according to their normal starting and, IMHO, best positions -

Backline - 13
Frequently Starting Lineup - Thursty, King, McGuane, Newman, Schultz, Moore, McMahon? Polak?

Backup/Developing - Rance, Silvester, JON, Gourdis, Raines

Ruck - 4
Frequently Starting Lineup - Simmonds, Patto

Backup/Developing - Putt, Cartledge

Midfield - 17
Frequently Starting Lineup - Foley, Johnson, Tambling, Deledio, White, Cotchin, Tuck,
Richo? Browny?
Backup/Developing - Collins, Connors, Tiv, Hyde, Edwards, Howart, Cogs, Meyer

Forwardline - 6
Frequently Starting Lineup - Petts, Bowden ?????
Backup/Developing - Riewoldt, Hughes, Morton, Collard,

Have I left anyone out?

Now you could probably include Browny and Richo into the forwardline but they both seem to be playing a better role for the team outside the F50. Similiarly Polak has often lined up in the F50 of late but I believe he is better used as a floating backman. Edwards has also been used in the forward pocket but also in the midfield rotations also.

So

For mine we need to start developing and recruiting forwards quickly especially as our two best forwards begin to spend less time down forward and eventually retire altogether.

Even players like Schultz and Hughes, who were recruited as forwards, have been converted into backmen.

So once again what do you think our forwardline should look and work like?

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What should our forwardline look like?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
Sorry left out Jackson.

My Forwardline for the latter part of the year - Hughes, Riewoldt, Morton, Edwards and Collard (if elevated)

I would play Hughes and Riewoldt 30m out working together to block, create space and work for each other. Morton on the F50 as a link up player/midfielder who brings others into the scoring. Collard and Edwards in the pockets to crumb and create goals at ground level.

If Putt or Gourdis can switch roles to the forwardline this may make a big differnce to our forwardline in the future.

Just my take

Stripes

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:26:52 PM »
 Maybe try out Mc mahon in the forward line, don't mean to be negative but we are stuck with him for three years, his turn overs are shocking maybe Half forward flank.
 Try and get 30 goals a year out of him.
 Morton is a must i thought he was ok in the games he played.We did not get him not to play.
 What about Patto could he play a role in the forward line??
 Hughes yes.
 Riewoldt not to sure of yet, suppose we have to keep giving him a chance.
 We need a big forward not to sure who.
 Hate to have to put Richo in there permently after his fantastic performances up the ground.

Offline wilba

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »
need to do something different to add some spark to the team..

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
forward

Connors Reiwoldt Morton
Collard Hughes King

midfeild/forward

Tambing, Cotchin, Edwards, Deledio, Brown, White

midfeild

Foley, Cogs

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
Sorry left out Jackson.

My Forwardline for the latter part of the year - Hughes, Riewoldt, Morton, Edwards and Collard (if elevated)

I would play Hughes and Riewoldt 30m out working together to block, create space and work for each other. Morton on the F50 as a link up player/midfielder who brings others into the scoring. Collard and Edwards in the pockets to crumb and create goals at ground level.

If Putt or Gourdis can switch roles to the forwardline this may make a big differnce to our forwardline in the future.

Just my take

Stripes
You also left out Gus Graham

jackstar

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
Play a 4 man Forward line.

Simmo out of square.

Brown/Morton/Edwards/  as  hit up forwards ( Rotations would be Reiwoldt,Bowden,Lids,Tambling, Cotchin)

Other two players through corrdior.

Main problem with current forward structure is they dont spread anywhere near enough, to play a 4 man forward set up is the only option at present, try and isolate someone out of goal square with everyone else up high

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »
Play a 4 man Forward line.

Simmo out of square.

Brown/Morton/Edwards/  as  hit up forwards ( Rotations would be Reiwoldt,Bowden,Lids,Tambling, Cotchin)

Other two players through corrdior.

Main problem with current forward structure is they dont spread anywhere near enough, to play a 4 man forward set up is the only option at present, try and isolate someone out of goal square with everyone else up high

I woud like to see Simmonds in this 'Bradshaw' role.

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »
forward line is not the problem we get murdered in the backline & coming out from there
is where most opposition goals are scored against us on overuse & turnovers
we overuse the ball so much coming out of the backline into midfield then backwards & sideways, the forwards are flooded with opposition players,  it dont matter if you had Wayne Carey, Johnathan Brown, & Sandilands in the forward line its plain & simple we dont kick it long & quick, & the odd time we do Richo takes a strong contested mark & wins 75% of the time.
opposition can have less possessions on the day but will enter the inside 50 more often, not forgetting the outside 50 long goals which are not counted as inside 50's,
if the coach cant coach then your wasting your time even wishing whats in the forward line cause nothing will become of it but defeat everytime

Pull some hair out
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:35:23 PM by Tigermonk »

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
HF:   Morton/Jack        Jack/Hughes/Gourdis      Tambling/Edwards/Morton

F:   Edwards       Schulz/Hughes/Gourdis      ???

we are short of forwards. Tall and Small.

i didn't put Richardson and Brown.       

midfielders rest in the Forward pocket i say. ie: Cotchin, Deledio

Collard could be that small, quick forward we always needed. "those arsey goals we need".

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »
Hopefully we'll see our future forwards on display on Sunday going by training today. Might also see Jack's 4-man forward line too - 1 in the goalsquare (Simmo/ Cleve/ Patto) and 3 high (Jack/ Cleve/ Lids/ Browny/ Morton). 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
Does this mean they are going to go long & direct MT  ;D
Thought Wallace was doing that when Richmond gave him the job
taken him 4 years to work that out & we already had the best contested mark in Richo

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
Hopefully we'll see our future forwards on display on Sunday going by training today. Might also see Jack's 4-man forward line too - 1 in the goalsquare (Simmo/ Cleve/ Patto) and 3 high (Jack/ Cleve/ Lids/ Browny/ Morton). 

You're teasing me MT! How great would that be if we had that line up on show. I'm guessing that Patto and Simmo would reamin on the ground and rest in the goalsquare leaving Cleve, Jack and Morton high.

Who played the best using that forward structure? Were they blocking and making space for each other? How were they working together as a team?

Thanks for your insight MT

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »

You're teasing me MT! How great would that be if we had that line up on show. I'm guessing that Patto and Simmo would reamin on the ground and rest in the goalsquare leaving Cleve, Jack and Morton high.

Who played the best using that forward structure? Were they blocking and making space for each other? How were they working together as a team?

Thanks for your insight MT

Stripes
Jack had about 6 marks on the lead from memory. Awesome long pinpoint pass by Cotch to the fat side btw. Similar to the one he did in the first quarter against the Crows to Foley. Simmo took 3 marks inside 50.

They did work well together. No two forwards going for the same mark. The defensive intensity in terms of spoiling wasn't full on though - No colliding bodies in packs or chopping of arms. More forwards staying in front and leading up towards the incoming ball and defenders conceding the mark if a metre or two behind. The defensive efforts were more done by reading the play and intercepting passes. JON scored a couple of intercepts and one better judged mark IIRC.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
HF: Mitch Morton, Jack Riewoldt, Richard Tambling
F: Adam Pattison, Nathan Brown, Trent Cotchin

^

Selected side.

Looks a nice mix. I like the idea of Morton/Tambling/Cotchin in there together. Good mix of skilled mid size players. Collard + Edwards off the bench would be nice too.