Author Topic: Our Current Redevelopment  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Our Current Redevelopment
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
Will our current crop of 'talent', topped up with draft picks over the next couple of years, go anywhere?

Has TW and Miller created a team that will have a sustained era of success?

Should we just start again?

Stripes

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Our Current Redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:26:53 PM »
I feel our current list will take us where we have been before.
We may make a token finals appearance somewhere along the way maybe 2 or 3 years from  now but being success starved and craving the attention and respect that comes with it similar to 95 and 2001 I feel the club will make the same mistakes and we will find the whole cycle will be repeated within 3 seasons of us having this token finals series. If we do make finals we need to make the right decisions post that season to not hinder any momentum the club has whether it be keeping the coach or letting players go to ensure long term success. We will have 3 finals appearances in 30 odd years. Still by no means is that good enough.

bushranger

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
I think our current crop has some good things about it. Though I'm not sure if they are strong enough to get us to a final just yet. I think our leadership is way way bad. And I think this is where we fall down, so give it to a young one with the abillity to lead the way. Just who ever that may be will be better than our leader now.
Coaching blaming players for our bad results isn't right as they are and should be doing what he has taught them to do.
Older players only one can hold his head up high (Richo).
We will do crap this year, which should have been the year we started to show we were ready (TW to blame for this).
Get rid of dead wood and start again.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »
Still too early to call. Most of those who will be part of any finals/flag push in the years to come are b/w 18-21 y.o. We need a strong draft effort this year and next and no trading away picks  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
what we need is a couple of black sneaky slinky skilled forwards from the top end islands that can run like lightening & evade all tacklers  :lol we need some black fellas they got great skills & thier good thinkers cause football is all they know  ;D

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »
Depending on how you see it, I believe that we are trapped between the 2 stages of redevelopment that a club needs to be a success. Sometimes a club may need a 3rd wave of players as well.

IMHO... any club that spends say 25 years trying to find itself ie in the wilderness like Richmond needs to start again. Technically we started again in 2004 - that could be said to be our first stage of the first rebuild.

In my opinion, when a club is as bad as we are you need to do two rebuilds to complete 1 of them properly.

Players taken in 2004 are entering the 21 yo age bracket, success usually comes between 23 and 27.

I reckon if people look at successful sides they will find 2 waves of young players coming through. Richmond started in 2004 and we have completed trading and drafted till the end of 2007.

We have made mistakes which means that the first of the two necessary waves is still incomplete. Cotchin and Rance and Putt and Gourdis should have been the start of the 2nd wave, but alas we have to include them in the 1st wave of players because the first wave havent come through as well as we'd hoped. Thats why we must tank in 2008.

In the 2008 draft we need to start the 2nd wave of players . Currently as it stands IMHO the list is only capable of hitting the lower level of the 8 because with the the inclusion of Cotchin we are still somewhere shy of finishing the 1st wave.

Lets hope Rance, Putt, Gourdis, Conners, Collins, JON, Hughes etc etc. come through. to finish the 1st wave necessary, so that the 2008 draftees become the start of the 2nd much needed group of players that a club needs to become successful.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »
The 'rebuild' is over as far as I am concerned. We need to top continue to strengthen our youth stocks with the draft but we now have a large percentage of our team who are coming through together within the same age bracket.

I do agree with you in terms of inserting quality youth. I just can't see us tanking this year and can't see us finishing in the bottom 4 either.  :-\  So more likely than not we will get pick no. 5-8 as our first choice. We can still get a handful of quality players even if this is the case the difference being the calibre of the player we get our first pick.

Regardless I think we will still get at least 3 - 5 good players to add to our depth with Tiv, Petts, Hyde and possible Meyer and Cogs(inj) shown the door.

I believe this will enable us that 'sustained era of success' we have all dreamed of for so long. It just all depends on how we develop our list and in particular our KPP which are lacking at the moment.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
The 'rebuild' is over as far as I am concerned. We need to top continue to strengthen our youth stocks with the draft but we now have a large percentage of our team who are coming through together within the same age bracket.

I do agree with you in terms of inserting quality youth. I just can't see us tanking this year and can't see us finishing in the bottom 4 either.  :-\  So more likely than not we will get pick no. 5-8 as our first choice. We can still get a handful of quality players even if this is the case the difference being the calibre of the player we get our first pick.

Regardless I think we will still get at least 3 - 5 good players to add to our depth with Tiv, Petts, Hyde and possible Meyer and Cogs(inj) shown the door.

I believe this will enable us that 'sustained era of success' we have all dreamed of for so long. It just all depends on how we develop our list and in particular our KPP which are lacking at the moment.

Stripes

If the rebuild is over we are stuffed, what rebuild- Deledio still hasnt hit his top, Tambling is an if, Meyer is nowhere, Pattison is stranded between being a KPP and a ruckman, Polo has gone backwards, McGuane is a 3rd defender who should be traded to GC. JON is injury prone, Hughes hasnt impacted and Casserley is nowhere to be seen, Jack Riewoldt is a 3rd tall forward who has been just ok, Polak traded for from the dockers has been disappointing, Edwards plays a role and thats ok- but hes no superstar, Conners hasnt been seen this year. What rebuild?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »

Stripes

If the rebuild is over we are stuffed, what rebuild- Deledio still hasnt hit his top, Tambling is an if, Meyer is nowhere, Pattison is stranded between being a KPP and a ruckman, Polo has gone backwards, McGuane is a 3rd defender who should be traded to GC. JON is injury prone, Hughes hasnt impacted and Casserley is nowhere to be seen, Jack Riewoldt is a 3rd tall forward who has been just ok, Polak traded for from the dockers has been disappointing, Edwards plays a role and thats ok- but hes no superstar, Conners hasnt been seen this year. What rebuild?

A bit harsh on the young fellow Ramps. If they were 25+ then I feel that your evaluation would be justified but they are all just developing kids. So you think we should get rid of these players now then? They have no future as players and no chance of forming a successful team in the future?

We must have faith in these young players to develop and form the nucleus of our side in the future. I'm not saying we should do a Fremantle and trade older players into the team becasue we have a chance to go for the flag, but we do not have to gut our list...just continue to add depth to our developing youth.

I would like to get a priority pick this year but I just can't see it happening.  :( We need to get more quality KPP into the team with this years draft.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
I have never said get rid of them, all I said was that we need to add another group to this one to have any chance of success. thats why i say tank. Tank and we get to the 2nd stage of the process and a much better chance of success.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
I have never said get rid of them, all I said was that we need to add another group to this one to have any chance of success. thats why i say tank. Tank and we get to the 2nd stage of the process and a much better chance of success.

Then we agree then Ramps.  :)

I think we should tank but we won't.

I still think we will get some good players out of this draft regardless.  :pray

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
Depending on how you see it, I believe that we are trapped between the 2 stages of redevelopment that a club needs to be a success. Sometimes a club may need a 3rd wave of players as well.

IMHO... any club that spends say 25 years trying to find itself ie in the wilderness like Richmond needs to start again. Technically we started again in 2004 - that could be said to be our first stage of the first rebuild.

In my opinion, when a club is as bad as we are you need to do two rebuilds to complete 1 of them properly.

Players taken in 2004 are entering the 21 yo age bracket, success usually comes between 23 and 27.

I reckon if people look at successful sides they will find 2 waves of young players coming through. Richmond started in 2004 and we have completed trading and drafted till the end of 2007.

We have made mistakes which means that the first of the two necessary waves is still incomplete. Cotchin and Rance and Putt and Gourdis should have been the start of the 2nd wave, but alas we have to include them in the 1st wave of players because the first wave havent come through as well as we'd hoped. Thats why we must tank in 2008.

In the 2008 draft we need to start the 2nd wave of players . Currently as it stands IMHO the list is only capable of hitting the lower level of the 8 because with the the inclusion of Cotchin we are still somewhere shy of finishing the 1st wave.

Lets hope Rance, Putt, Gourdis, Conners, Collins, JON, Hughes etc etc. come through. to finish the 1st wave necessary, so that the 2008 draftees become the start of the 2nd much needed group of players that a club needs to become successful.

Top post Ramps. Unlike other clubs like Hawthorn and Dogs we get compared to only because we all finished down the bottom in 2004 we didn't have a young core (first wave) to build upon. Hodge, Mitchell, Bateman, Williams, Brown, Osbourne, Ladson, Campbell, Boyle etc all were drafted b/w 2000-2002 by Schwab. That was their first rebuild. We didn't have that young core on our list in 2004 and were starting from scratch. IMO it was always going to take the whole 5 years (and 2004-9 drafts) to rebuild the list from where we were.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »
what we need is a couple of black sneaky slinky skilled forwards from the top end islands that can run like lightening & evade all tacklers  :lol we need some black fellas they got great skills & thier good thinkers cause football is all they know  ;D
Umm remember Andrew Krakoeur or Marty McGrath?

Tigermonk

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »

yep sure do walked into the MCG with Krak many times & only met marty once
heres a question for you are they from the top end Julzqld  ;D

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

yep sure do walked into the MCG with Krak many times & only met marty once
heres a question for you are they from the top end Julzqld  ;D

no their not...nice reply...
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.