Author Topic: Jim Krakouer Released.  (Read 4971 times)

froars

Jim Krakouer Released.
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:03:54 PM »
I apologise for the heading - couldn't help myself.  Sue me if you hate it lol

JIMMY Krakouer, the former champion AFL footballer jailed for 16 years in 1996 for drug trafficking, will be released from prison this morning.

Krakouer, 45, has been a model prisoner and gained maximum remissions from his sentence. He will have served just over eight years when he walks out of the minimum security Karnet Prison Farm, 55km south of Perth, at about 8.30am.

He will be on work release until February and cannot leave Western Australia until he is paroled in February.

But Krakouer is not expected to say much when he is released this morning, given that Channel 9's Footy Show host, Eddie McGuire, is understood to have a deal to interview him live on the show on Thursday night. McGuire is also expected to conduct an interview for Nine's 60 Minutes program on Sunday night. Krakouer will be paid for his story.

West Australian Director of Public Prosecutions Robert Cock has repeated a warning that Krakouer's interviews must not have "commercial value derived ... (from) involvement in the commission of an offence".

"If Jim sticks to his life in jail, how he spent the time, the pitfalls of drugs and that sort of thing there will be no problem," Mr Cock said.

"Chopper Read, for instance, doesn't talk about his crimes. He talks about time in prison writing books and things like that. All I'm very keen to do is assure other would-be drug dealers they cannot offend and later get celebrity status out of it."

A friend, Shaun Gorman, who has kept in touch with Krakouer during his time in prison, said the fallen football hero was not bitter.

"He's a lot calmer and more self-reflective and realises he made a terrible error," Mr Gorman said.

He said one of the hardest jail days for Krakouer would have been missing the debut of his son Andrew at the MCG in his first game for Richmond.

"That would have killed Jimmy," Mr Gorman said.

Krakouer and his younger brother, Phil, arrived from West Australian club Claremont to play their first games in the VFL with North Melbourne in 1982. They immediately became drawcards for their exciting style of football and their uncanny sense of each other on the football field.

Jim Krakouer played 134 games with North Melbourne and 13 with St Kilda from 1982-1991.

Typical of Eddie to get in on the act  ::)

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10430589%255E2761,00.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 10:37:33 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Krak Head Released
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 03:19:21 PM »
ROFLMFAOOOOOOOOOOo froars

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »
I wonder if Eddie Everywhere is going to try and get young Andy on the footy show too.

Don't do it Andy  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 04:20:29 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »
I wonder if Eddie Everywhere is going to try and get young Andy of the footy show too.

Or to the Pies  ::)

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 06:52:31 PM »
Whoever said there is no life after footy was wrong. Jimmy got it. 8)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 06:56:02 PM »
Whoever said there is no life after footy was wrong. Jimmy got it. 8)

LMAOO

froars

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 04:10:26 AM »
Fallen football star Jimmy Krakouer may be employed by the AFL following his release from jail on drug trafficking charges.

Krakouer, a sparkling star with North Melbourne in the 1980s, walked out of Karnet Prison Farm, south of Perth yesterday after serving nine years of a 16-year prison term.

He was immediately claimed by Channel 9 Footy Show host Eddie McGuire, who said he had been "sent out as a reporter" to tell Krakouer's story and quickly rejected claims he was being paid for the interview.

But AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said today Krakouer may be approached to work with the AFL, warning players about some of the dangers that can snare them.

Demetriou said that Michael Long, a former Aborginal Essendon star who works for the league, wanted to meet Krakouer but it was uncertain whether the AFL would employ him at this stage.

"I think he's interested in meeting with him and having a discussion with him - where that leads, I don't know," Demetriou told 3AW.

Advertisement
 Advertisement
 "Certainly I think Jimmy has probably got a story to tell, which is not a pleasant one, of being in jail.

"If there's anything that he's learnt from that which he can pass on to other young indigenous children, perhaps that's something that could turn a negative into a positive.

"I really and truly hope that Jimmy can get back into society, that he's not victimised or discriminated against," Demetriou said.

Demetriou said Krakouer could possibly be employed as a "reverse role model."

"The example I can give is that three years ago we employed (former Richmond player) Justin Charles to conduct our drug education program at the clubs.

"Justin was the first player and the only player who has been charged with anabolic steroids in the AFL.

"He delivered the most powerful message of all the speakers we've ever had at the clubs.

"The feedback we got from the clubs was unbelievably positive, so much so that his talk was taped and has been used by other sports," Demetriou said.

"You can have reverse role models.

"I think that people are entitled to a second chance."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/25/1093246586855.html?oneclick=true
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 04:13:00 AM by froars »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 07:29:01 AM »
Someone should put Eddie in jail. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 01:26:54 PM »
Someone should put Eddie in jail. :thumbsup

Even he needs some time away from Collingwood supporters  ;D

froars

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 01:29:23 PM »
 :rollin

Offline shano62

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 02:10:54 PM »
PUT Eddie in jail for life  : :thumbsup

froars

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 10:57:05 PM »
That was an okay interview with Jimmy on The Footy Show.  He looks fit enough to put on the boots - looks good for 45.
I hope he makes a good transition into life after prison and wish him all the best.
And i feel ashamed at the heading of this thread  :-[ - guy needs a chance without idiots like me constantly reminding him.
Good luck Jimmy.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 12:51:56 AM »
I hope he makes a good transition into life after prison and wish him all the best.

For Andy's and his own sake let's hope he can froars. Likewise wish Jimmy all the best.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 10:34:56 AM »
It was all done in reasonably good taste and I never cringed once.  So, for me, that's a good sign.

He had a message for others out there and hopefully they will make different choices because of that.

I wish him and his family all the best and hope Jimmy can now get on with his life and see his kids grow.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jim Krakouer Released
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 10:38:52 AM »
And i feel ashamed at the heading of this thread  :-[ - guy needs a chance without idiots like me constantly reminding him.
Good luck Jimmy.

Your wish is my command Trivia Princess. :thumbsup

Even did it with no typos  ;D

« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 10:41:01 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)