Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / Momentum the key: Wallace  (Read 529 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Momentum the key: Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad
8:57 PM Sun 15 June, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his side must string together consecutive wins to build momentum in the second half of the season.

Speaking after the Tigers’ 22-point win over Melbourne at Telstra Dome on Sunday – his side’s first win since round nine – Wallace said an improved draw would aid Richmond’s bid to improve a 4-1-7 record and make a late charge for finals action.

“We’ve now played five games against sides outside of the eight,” Wallace said.

“We’ve won four of those games … we’ve got another real challenge on our hands next week because we play Port Adelaide, who are outside of the eight but … I think most people believe that they’re the best side outside the eight.

“And we’re playing them on their home ground, so that’s another challenge for us.”

Wallace admitted his team would “love to get some momentum” after consistently finding itself matched against the AFL’s heavyweights in the first 12 rounds.

“We think that we had an extremely tough draw in the first half of the season, having played seven out of 11 games against top-eight teams,” he said.

Sunday’s 16.20 (116) to 14.10 (94) win might be just the shot in the arm the Tigers’ season needs.

The victory came on the back of a superb solo effort from the seemingly ageless Matthew Richardson, who the coach praised in the aftermath of a five-goal, 18-mark performance.

“He was fantastic,” Wallace said.

“Where do you play him? We played him up on the wing at times and he was saving the game back there.

“Sitting in the coach's box late in the game, a couple of times when they ran inside 50 and kicked, I sort of said ‘Oh. it looks like that’s going through’ and all of a sudden it’s Richo marking the ball on the goal line.”

Wallace said Richardson’s heroics at both ends might not have been needed had his side buried its opposition after a second quarter he labeled “just about the best footy” the Tigers had played.

But Melbourne refused to lie down and got to within eight points in the final term before the Tigers snuffed out the Demons’ challenge.

Wallace said he had expected a strong Melbourne effort after the club’s recent off-field issues, and he was proud his young side – minus the leadership of skipper Kane Johnson – had been able to weather the storm.

“With momentum their way … and a fair bit of momentum and a fair bit of emotion going their way, I think that’s a game that we probably would have lost last season,” he said.

“When the game needed to be won tonight I thought Richard Tambling was the bloke who really stood up in the last quarter and really helped us get over the line.

“There’s a number of those [younger] guys, you know, I’ve got no doubt they’re improving.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=61528

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Plough's aftermatch media conference / Momentum the key: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:00:13 AM »
More from Wallace in the Herald-Sun
Jon Ralph
June 16, 2008

Richardson kick-started a sluggish Richmond outfit on the wing and forward, but then pushed almost to the last line of defence at the start of the third quarter.

Wallace said it was a crucial momentum shift, with the Demons rising off the canvas to challenge the Tigers.

"That was a mixed instruction. We didn't want that at all. The instruction was for him to come back up and play his normal role and they thought it meant go behind the ball, and so it took us three or four minutes (to rectify).

"You know when that situation happens, you know everyone will say out there it looks like you are in panic mode. When the momentum is going your way it really hurts you."

Bailey said the Demons coaching staff had much preferred Richardson playing deep in defence, with the Tiger conceding the instruction was to play back.

"It's not my decision what I do on the ground. You take instructions from the coaching staff and there might have been a little bit of a misunderstanding," Richardson said.

"I probably went too defensive in the start of the third. Terry wanted me to push forward a bit and I sat back a bit too much but that happens too much."

For Richmond, Brett Deledio was superb, while Richard Tambling ran off Austin Wonaeamirri repeatedly in the last term to set up the attacking thrusts that won the game for Richmond.

But, on the whole, it was an inconsistent display save for that 15-minute, second-term blitz.

"I thought we played just about the best footy I had seen us play in the second quarter and, really, had an opportunity to nail the game late in the second quarter and then early in the third quarter," Wallace said.

"The one thing I would say, with the momentum their way and the emotion, that's a game we would have lost last season. We were able to wrest back that momentum."

"We take the win, we don't think we played fantastic. We played a fantastic quarter of footy, and we take the win and we march on."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/1,9191,23868884-19742,00.html